Can you defend your attached garage as you would your home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I wonder about this one. Especially since they are trying to pass a state law that will allow you to protect your business and property. So that assumes currently you do not have a right in the place of buisness. (except for fear of eminent severe bodily harm or death. )

No. You cant kill somebody over "stuff". (see related, above)

Unless you can articulate a reasonable fear for severe bodily harm or death, ya gotta let 'em thieve the way the law is written. So if some drugged up meth head wanders calmly into your garage like a zombie, grabs the dolly with your $5,000 portable industrial welder and starts dragging it down the driveway all while ignoring you completely as if you werent there, you are SOL. Gotta call the cops and wait for them to show up and take care of it. He's not a threat if he isnt even acknowledging you exist.

Now if the douchebag suddenly snaps out of it and starts advancing on you, ranting and raving about how you stole HIS welder and you can articulate a reasonable fear for your life/safety then its on!

(IANAL of course, just an avid listener to The Gun Guy where these topics were recently discussed)

And of course this thread wouldnt be complete without Uncle Kirk's sage advice of "Don't get out of the boat". If you're safe and sound in your house and they're in the garage, let the cops take care of it. (or handle it and call your buddy steve to come finish the job with the backhoe)
    You're not SOL, holster your gun and go beat the crap out of him and get your welder back. He is a threat. Draw down if and when you need to. So many in here sound like Target, just let 'em loot. I don't get it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You're not SOL, holster your gun and go beat the crap out of him and get your welder back. He is a threat. Draw down if and when you need to. So many in here sound like Target, just let 'em loot. I don't get it.
    I am more hands on in a close quarters situation. If I caught you in my shop (I have 2....I fab and 1 wood work) you are not in there on a social visit. You are there to steal from me and that is in no way acceptable. On any level and yes you will get your ass beat down into putty. If you draw on me then its game on. I would as soon wear your worthless ass out bare hands.

Let-em loot my ass.

Thing is any activity in either shop is on camera.......:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thank you BW, exactly my point.. If I'm in the garage with one of the doors up and someone strolls in on the other side and starts jacking stuff out of my car but assures me they mean me no harm when confronted turns to go, what to do?
    Beat him senseless.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Or he gets to shoot you with your own gun first.
    Well, ya, I guess, if you're some kind of untrained unprepared afraid pansy.
    Not trying to call names, but this has honestly been hard and somewhat depressing to read, how easily people will roll over for evil. There are ways to take someone into custody, or at least hold them if you want the police involved.
    Stand up for what is right. I think so many people have been programmed to "let the authorities handle it" that we have lost much of our sense of independence, and evil is unafraid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not trying to call names, but this has honestly been hard and somewhat depressing to read, how easily people will roll over for evil. There are ways to take someone into custody, or at least hold them if you want the police involved.
    Stand up for what is right. I think so many people have been programmed to "let the authorities handle it" that we have lost much of our sense of independence, and evil is unafraid.
    Not even that my friend. People just will not engage anymore. Scared. No self defensive and absolutely no offensive ability's. The male has been emasculated to the point hi mom holds his package until he asks to use it.

Seriously, just look around.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Not even that my friend. People just will not engage anymore. Scared. No self defensive and absolutely no offensive ability's. The male has been emasculated to the point hi mom holds his package until he asks to use it.

Seriously, just look around.
    I still hold out hope. Eternal optimist, I guess.
    There are still plenty of men out there willing to step up. Not just about petty thievery either. It's a matter of education and community.

ETA that mom/package thing is gross btw.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I still hold out hope. Eternal optimist, I guess.
    There are still plenty of men out there willing to step up. Not just about petty thievery either. It's a matter of education and community.

ETA that mom/package thing is gross btw.
    Yeah it is a bit of a push but more true than many think.
    These "B" and "C" males are growing in numbers with the helicopter/soccer mom parenting.

Yes I know a lot of strong willed men. Hell my daughter will put an ass whippen on an idiot in a heart beat.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I have stated that I wouldn't kill someone stealing stuff in my garage, that doesn't mean I wouldn't, or that people shouldn't do anything to stop the crime.

It's not an all-or-nothing situation.
    There's a whole continuum of force between "doing nothing" and "shooting the intruder on sight".

I don't think lethal force is morally justified to protect property.

Now if the intruder attacks you while you're trying to defend your property that's another story.

But some people sound like they would be willing to shoot (and therefore kill) someone running away with their old VCR.
    That's disturbing to me even thought it might be legal in Indiana.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have stated that I wouldn't kill someone stealing stuff in my garage, that doesn't mean I wouldn't, or that people shouldn't do anything to stop the crime.

It's not an all-or-nothing situation.
    There's a whole continuum of force between "doing nothing" and "shooting the intruder on sight".

I don't think lethal force is morally justified to protect property.

Now if the intruder attacks you while you're trying to defend your property that's another story.

But some people sound like they would be willing to shoot (and therefore kill) someone running away with their old VCR.
    That's disturbing to me even thought it might be legal in Indiana.

^^THIS^^^

I have read several responses here and some are humorous and some are well Nieve to say the least. Respectfully it shows a few things.

1 Some have probably never had to testify in an inquiry before as it shows.

2 Most don't get to have a single dimensional scenerio or call how the outcome ends favorably everytime in the real world.

3 Apparently to some a $10,000 retainer fee and $300 an hour after is cheaper than a TV or tools to some.

But everyone can do whatever their career and checkbook can handle. So, You do you I guess

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I am more hands on in a close quarters situation. If I caught you in my shop (I have 2....I fab and 1 wood work) you are not in there on a social visit. You are there to steal from me and that is in no way acceptable. On any level and yes you will get your ass beat down into putty. If you draw on me then its game on. I would as soon wear your worthless ass out bare hands.

Let-em loot my ass.

Thing is any activity in either shop is on camera.......:):
    I've always said if I kill you with a gun or a knife it's a kindness...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Generally, someone breaking into your garage isn't there to make you pancakes.

Quoting it again.

because..

There is a reason someone invading your house has different defense law.
    Someone invading an occupied home .. let's see.. must not be too worried because..?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ya.
    I know a store clerk that thought the same way.
    Gave the bad guy everything he wanted.
    For her troubles, she was shot to death.

Police say Jeremy Blue fatally shot Judi Simpson-Beaver, 48, on Sunday during a robbery. Surveillance video at the Lucky Mart Foods in Merrillville shows Beaver complying with the demands and the gunman by giving him two drawers of cash. He then shot her twice- once in the chest and again in the head.

"This was a heinous crime. She did everything, she complied. This was ruthless. There was no need for him to do this. She did everything he demanded," Merrillville Police Chief Jim Lilley said.

Top Bottom