Can you defend your attached garage as you would your home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Thanks for recounting that situation!

Can I now add a hypothetical twist for INGO? (Not necessarily for Hoosier Cowboy.)

What if the intruder at gunpoint states that he means no harm, but will be leaving, and then proceeds to do so?
    Thank you BW, exactly my point.. If I'm in the garage with one of the doors up and someone strolls in on the other side and starts jacking stuff out of my car but assures me they mean me no harm when confronted turns to go, what to do?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thank you BW, exactly my point.. If I'm in the garage with one of the doors up and someone strolls in on the other side and starts jacking stuff out of my car but assures me they mean me no harm when confronted turns to go, what to do?
    The cheapest solution is let them go. Remember every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

And I only think there is one clear cut time you can fire in that situation; when the perp has committed a forcible felony and you can articulate a fear that he is an immediate risk to society and may cause immediate bodily harm to others and therefore must be stopped. e.g. he tried to use a gun to steal your car, and is now running off looking for somebody else to carjack to escape because you put up too much of a fight.

But your scenario as written? Let them go. Its likely not worth the effort and potential lawsuits later.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Take their picture with the cell phone you always have with you, then call 911 and report a burglary. Better still take video with your cell phone, THEN call 911.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    The cheapest solution is let them go. Remember every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

And I only think there is one clear cut time you can fire in that situation; when the perp has committed a forcible felony and you can articulate a fear that he is an immediate risk to society and may cause immediate bodily harm to others and therefore must be stopped. e.g. he tried to use a gun to steal your car, and is now running off looking for somebody else to carjack to escape because you put up too much of a fight.

But your scenario as written? Let them go. Its likely not worth the effort and potential lawsuits later.
    We both know where that "every bullet has an attorney attached" came from and I agree. The problem we all have is without penalties there will never be any compliance. I know it's easier to let them retreat but it sends the wrong signal by encouraging the same behavior in the future.. The wrong answer is to to let them go but it's the prudent thing to do and frustrates the hell out of me to say it. I guess I'm just venting a little, apologies to all. :ranton:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Take their picture with the cell phone you always have with you, then call 911 and report a burglary. Better still take video with your cell phone, THEN call 911.
    That is very good thinking and a reminder to use the device with the great camera that we always have.

Now, where do you put your gun while you are snapping pics or video?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    That is very good thinking and a reminder to use the device with the great camera that we always have.

Why, you being the level headed person that you are, you never drew your weapon, you took pictures or video and dialed 911 intuitively...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    On another note, STOP LEAVING YOUR F#*#&ING GUNS IN YOUR DAMN CARS!
    Well stop allowing businesses, venues, and government offices to create Gun Free Zones forcing me to disarm and leave my gun in my car. Once again unintended consequences.

I realize your link is some guy to too lazy to carry his gun into his house so he left it in the car in his driveway.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well stop allowing businesses, venues, and government offices to create Gun Free Zones forcing me to disarm and leave my gun in my car. Once again unintended consequences.

I realize your link is some guy to too lazy to carry his gun into his house so he left it in the car in his driveway.
    That too, but lets keep this on target. Your home is not a GFZ. If you regularly leave your gun in your car in your driveway you're just a lazy, irresponsible bastard. There is a good reason gun vaults dont have glass windows.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

s-l400.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I understand when an intruder enters your home self defense is in order but what about entering an attached garage? Someone enters your garage with thievery in mind and you have no idea IF they are armed. Shoot? No Shoot? Seems like you should have some other option than politely asking them them to leave? What's your thoughts INGO.

My loved ones, my property, or my self is under threat......let me go ask massa permission.

Apply purple as one sees fit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County

Can I now add a hypothetical twist for INGO? (Not necessarily for Hoosier Cowboy.)

What if the intruder at gunpoint states that he means no harm, but will be leaving, and then proceeds to do so?

Well in this situation I'm not doing a pat down of the suspect so I'm not "trusting" that he doesn't have a weapon concealed. Who's to say you "let" him get up and leave since the "honest" thief said he meant no harm and as soon as he does he draws on you? Why give him the upper hand or put yourself in that position. I'm not taking the word of a guy that just broke into my property to steal something when he says he means no harm. It's a tough call but I guess you could make him keep his hands clear until he's well off your property but that's your call.

P.S.: The phone rail option is AWESOME!! :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I don't know about you, but I don't trust the word of the guy breaking into and stealing my stuff.
    Can't say what I would do, but I would try real hard to keep them from leaving. My house with family is directly in the exit path

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Phone in one hand gun in the other. Don't spend time on phone if you aren't comfortable.
    911, speaker phone. Set it down

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    <clip> If I'm in the garage with one of the doors up and someone strolls in on the other side and starts jacking stuff out of my car but assures me they mean me no harm when confronted turns to go, what to do?

Whatever you do has to meet the "reasonable" test. There are several levels of force between zero force and deadly force that could be reasonable depending on the circumstances.

[1] - Indiana Code 35-41-3-2

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Whatever you do has to meet the "reasonable" test. There are several levels of force between zero force and deadly force that could be reasonable depending on the circumstances.

[1] - Indiana Code 35-41-3-2
    Always a good idea to wait to make statements with your lawyer present. Immediately following a traumatic event where you feared death is not a good time to be chatting with the police. Let your emotions settle so you can clearly articulate facts with a clear mind.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well in this situation I'm doing a pat down of the suspect so I'm not "trusting" that he doesn't have a weapon concealed. Who's to say you "let" him get up and leave since the "honest" thief said he meant no harm and as soon as he does he draws on you? Why give him the upper hand or put yourself in that position. I'm not taking the word of a guy that just broke into my property to steal something when he says he means no harm. It's a tough call but I guess you could make him keep his hands clear until he's well off your property but that's your call.

A pat down is a terrible idea when you're all by yourself with a gun in your hand.
    Especially when your suspect is not handcuffed.

Distance is your friend.
    Why would get close to someone who could disarm you , punch you, or stab you?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well in this situation I'm doing a pat down of the suspect so I'm not "trusting" that he doesn't have a weapon concealed. Who's to say you "let" him get up and leave since the "honest" thief said he meant no harm and as soon as he does he draws on you? Why give him the upper hand or put yourself in that position. I'm not taking the word of a guy that just broke into my property to steal something when he says he means no harm. It's a tough call but I guess you could make him keep his hands clear until he's well off your property but that's your call.

Please leave info for us to send our condolences to your family after you're proned out dead and stiff as a board on the floor after trying to attempt this.
    Don't take this personal, but your statement has to be one of the worst things you could possibly do.

First of all you're not Law enforcement, and unless he attempts to fight you by hand, you should not be anywhere near him. By allowing him to be close enough to you, YOU have given him the upper hand and a chance to disarm you and use the very firearm you was holding used against you.

Now, think about this peoples, is it wise decision to let some one who "JUST" broke into your property, leave to go break into someone elses home, or possibly come back later to your home when he knows someone is not home because now there's a chance to acquire a firearm.

So much fail.

He's getting a free ride, 3 hots and a cot and a court date, not a pat on the head and a "don't you do that again little Johnny talk.

Top Bottom