• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    lol Illinois doesnt even offer a permit to carry..but i still wouldn't go to some places there without something in my car.

LE active and retired, as well as, licensed private investigators (while on the job) are the exceptions.

I would not suggest carrying without the previously mentioned credentials.

Let's just say I know a guy that carried illegally in IL and was caught. He was taken to the local lockup and posted misdemeanor bail. Prosecuting attorney made threats of escalating it to a felony. Lawyer eventually got the case dismissed in return for permanent confiscation of the gun. (read: melted down or rusting in an evidence room)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    And guys, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but even taken apart into pieces, with all the pieces separated into separate locked boxes, and all the boxes stored in separate locations within the car (or even separate cars), is still illegal in IL (unless you're "special"). IE: you can't even legally drive across IL to get to MO.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Let's just say I know a guy that carried illegally in IL and was caught. He was taken to the local lockup and posted misdemeanor bail. Prosecuting attorney made threats of escalating it to a felony. Lawyer eventually got the case dismissed in return for permanent confiscation of the gun. (read: melted down or rusting in an evidence room)

I still think I would take the risk. Not like I have any reason to go there anyways.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    And guys, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but even taken apart into pieces, with all the pieces separated into separate locked boxes, and all the boxes stored in separate locations within the car (or even separate cars), is still illegal in IL (unless you're "special"). IE: you can't even legally drive across IL to get to MO.

I'm not sure about if your destination is IL, but I think the Federal "Peaceable Journey" law would apply, so a long as you are legal in having the weapon in the beginning of the trip and the destination, you can lock it in the trunk separate from ammo.

Again, I think :) :twocents:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A few years back, I was told the Illinois State Police would stop any vehicle with any type of gun related sticker or sign on it and search for "illegal" weapons. Reportedly, they especially liked to stop cars with NRA stickers on them.

Doug
    KYPDACS

PX4 Storm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Kokomo
    You're wrong. And where did you hear that, anyway?

As long as the firearm is unloaded and locked in a case, with ammo stored separately, then it's OK to transport a firearm anywhere in Illinois, except for Cook County. It may be OK in Cook County, too, as long as you're passing through, but I'm not sure.

Also, it's important to remember that all of Illinois isn't Chicago. You'll find that the further south you go, the more gun friendly the state becomes. I go shooting 3 or 4 times a year in southern Illinois and have never had any problems at all.

PX4 Storm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Kokomo
    I suppose if you were driving through the city of Chicago and had a gun rack in your window, an "I hate Mayor Daley/Illinois State Police/Chicago PD" bumper sticker, along with all those NRA stickers, you'd get pulled over. Otherwise, you'd most certainly be OK.

Seriously, where do you guys get this stuff???

A few years back, I was told the Illinois State Police would stop any vehicle with any type of gun related sticker or sign on it and search for "illegal" weapons. Reportedly, they especially liked to stop cars with NRA stickers on them.

Doug
    KYPDACS

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Federal "Peaceable Journey" law states (this is from memory, so is not quoted exactly) that as long as the gun is legal for you to possess at the origin and destination of your trip, and the gun is unloaded and locked up out of reach of any person in the vehicle, it's covered.

Sounds simple enough, but if you stop at all, even for gas or a meal, you're no longer "traveling". Also, "loaded" has been interpreted in some places to mean rounds in a magazine, even if separate from the pistol, consists of the gun not being "unloaded".

Just be aware of where you're driving and check state websites to confirm your legal status.

To the OP: The two states that presently neither issue nor recognize any LTCH or CCW permit of any type issued to someone other than a LEO are IL and WI. The other 12 states that do not recognize any other states' CCW, LTCH, or any other acronym in re: handgun carry are CA, CT, HI, IA, ME, MD, MA, NE, NJ, NY, OR, and RI.

Additionally, we IN residents cannot carry in DE, KS, MN, NV, NM, OH, SC, VA, WA, and WV without another state's permit, and of those, KS, WV, and SC will not even allow it by that standard due to it not being a resident LTC that they honor.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
    B

wp wrecks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    As has been said before, the answer is no. I have a friend that lives in Illinois and said that pepper spray is even illiegal in Illinois. Don't know if that's true but he swears it is.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    You're wrong. And where did you hear that, anyway?
    My apologies; my post was dripping with sarcasm and was referencing a thread from a few months ago where one of our members was traveling through IL. I just wanted to make sure that the traveling bit was covered (which it was, quite well, by Bill as quoted below).

ETA: Here's the thread I was referring to, which also covers this topic pretty thoroughly: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../6058-traveling_to_illinois_this_weekend.html

Federal "Peaceable Journey" law states (this is from memory, so is not quoted exactly) that as long as the gun is legal for you to possess at the origin and destination of your trip, and the gun is unloaded and locked up out of reach of any person in the vehicle, it's covered.

Sounds simple enough, but if you stop at all, even for gas or a meal, you're no longer "traveling". Also, "loaded" has been interpreted in some places to mean rounds in a magazine, even if separate from the pistol, consists of the gun not being "unloaded".

Just be aware of where you're driving and check state websites to confirm your legal status.

To the OP: The two states that presently neither issue nor recognize any LTCH or CCW permit of any type issued to someone other than a LEO are IL and WI. The other 12 states that do not recognize any other states' CCW, LTCH, or any other acronym in re: handgun carry are CA, CT, HI, IA, ME, MD, MA, NE, NJ, NY, OR, and RI.

Additionally, we IN residents cannot carry in DE, KS, MN, NV, NM, OH, SC, VA, WA, and WV without another state's permit, and of those, KS, WV, and SC will not even allow it by that standard due to it not being a resident LTC that they honor.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:
    Top Bottom