• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll admit my noobness to cans. I've got a 45acp can, that'd be nice to be able to put on my springfield loaded 1911. I'm not expecting amazing results or to use the thing for competitions, but just for fun. Is there anything besides swapping to a threaded barrel that I'd need to do, and if so what?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Threaded barrel properly fitted and taller sights. Otherwise a 17-20 pound spring should all function properly. Keep your booster well lubed and enjoy.
    A properly fit barrel should yield very good accuracy. “Drop in” barrels are the kiss of death to 1911 reliability

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Can you recommend a properly fit barrel? I assume a Wolf spring in that weight would be a good choice.

What caught my eye on this project was a $70 no name drop in barrel that got me thinking about this. I'm glad I didn't just impulse buy that thing now.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Can you recommend a properly fit barrel? I assume a Wolf spring in that weight would be a good choice.

What caught my eye on this project was a $70 no name drop in barrel that got me thinking about this. I'm glad I didn't just impulse buy that thing now.
    A "properly fit barrel" means a hand fit barrel by someone that knows what they are doing.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I was gifted a threaded Fusion by a ex a few years back and had Churchmouse fit and install it. It was my first 1911 with a threaded barrel and it turned out great. With my buddy's AAC it sounded like a pellet gun being shot and was very reliable as long as I kept it clean and lubed. That's a task in itself as we all know how dirty 45acp can be.
    Pick a well known brand that has positive feedbacks and have a good 1911 guru fit and install it would be my suggestion. It will give you the results your wanting. The drop in barrels wont give you that, especially the bargain basement offerings.
    Just my :twocents:, hope it helps.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The can I have is a gemtech blackside and I've run it on a FNX Tactical 45acp and it was much more than the sound of a pellet gun. I'd love to get some sort of quiet 45acp setup, but I haven't been impressed by any of the results I've gotten with everything I've tried so far.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The can I have is a gemtech blackside and I've run it on a FNX Tactical 45acp and it was much more than the sound of a pellet gun. I'd love to get some sort of quiet 45acp setup, but I haven't been impressed by any of the results I've gotten with everything I've tried so far.
    The experience ive had with the AAC and my 1911 is the best I've had. I've shot a Glock with a SilencerCo and a HK45 with a Sig silencer with much different results. The Glock sucked to shoot as it was kinda painful to the hand and much louder and the HK45 was ok to shoot but much louder also. The 1911 was very comfortable and fun to shoot. It might have been a pinch louder than a pellet gun but not much and very easy on the ears without hearing protection. Much more than a standard 22lr rifle round without a silencer.
    Just trying to give the op the extent of my experience, which isn't much but its what I have to offer.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The experience ive had with the AAC and my 1911 is the best I've had. I've shot a Glock with a SilencerCo and a HK45 with a Sig silencer with much different results. The Glock sucked to shoot as it was kinda painful to the hand and much louder and the HK45 was ok to shoot but much louder also. The 1911 was very comfortable and fun to shoot. It might have been a pinch louder than a pellet gun but not much and very easy on the ears without hearing protection. Much more than a standard 22lr rifle round without a silencer.
    Just trying to give the op the extent of my experience, which isn't much but its what I have to offer.

That's more experience than I've got and I appreciate it. I've swapped the pistol and ran the can on 9mm's, but was equally unimpressed. If I knew for sure a particular pistol would be as quiet as I hoped I'd consider an all new 45acp for it. That's why I bought the FNX tactical 45, but it wasn't very quiet so I offloaded it.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I used an Ed Brown suppressor ready drop in barrel. It took some minor fitting. I didn't notice any drop in accuracy compared to the factory Springfield barrel. It's not as quiet as my suppressed 22, but 230gr ball ammo suppresses well in my setup. Springfield 1911 with AAC TiRant 45S.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I used an Ed Brown suppressor ready drop in barrel. It took some minor fitting. I didn't notice any drop in accuracy compared to the factory Springfield barrel. It's not as quiet as my suppressed 22, but 230gr ball ammo suppresses well in my setup. Springfield 1911 with AAC TiRant 45S.
    The Tirant 45S is the model my friend has and I used. Will be trying to add one to my stock soon.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My Form 1 Ti can runs well on my Springfield Loaded with a Storm Lake drop in barrel. The barrel was pretty tight and took some break-in before it would cycle reliably without the can. I bought the Neilson device from Silencer Shop but can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

The .5" bore Ti body Form 1 can was built for a big bore rifle but I've only ever used it on the .45 1911. It has a deep Poofufffff sound to it & is hearing safe with the heavy sub-sonic 45 ACP loads.

I would like to put new sights on the gun. Mine came with adjustable target style night sights & they're very dead.

Top Bottom