Can An Air Rifle Bring Down A Whitetail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thomas1969

Plinker
    May 6, 2022
    Noblesville
    My 22 cal MRod theoretically goes 60-80 shots per fill. I couldn't really say for sure, because I keep it topped off.

20-40-60 pumps at a time, depending on need. 20 pumps, then walk around or do something else to rest a bit. I try keep it pressurized to 2700-3000. It's not regulated.

I cant speak to some of the details about the MRod. I haven't really tweaked anything much or even chrono'd it. I get a little more serious about back porch precision shooting on occasion, but the MRod mainly just stays on back door duty, waiting for crows, starlings, chipmunks, coons and opossums.
    That is so cool. How much did that high quality of an air gun cost you?

ljk

Master
    May 21, 2013
    I believe the largest game taken by an airgun was a 2000lb bison in a private ranch in TX, using DQ 454cal from ~45 yards.

ljk

Master
    May 21, 2013
    Has anyone gotten 4,500 psi air fills from an industrial gas supplier? I've never thought to ask them what their highest charge pressure is.
    Koorsen Fire can, but I heard you may have to know someone and your tank hydro is current. If I remembered correctly, 4500psi carbonfiber over aluminum tanks need to be re-certified by hydrostatic test every 3 years.

My old tank expired long time ago, so I didn't bother.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Several hunters have taken American Bison with big bore airguns, an adult bison can weigh over a ton. Having read the accounts of this being done, the bullet was powerful enough to pass entirely through the animal, and was able to impart enough energy into the animal to humanely dispatch it. A good rule of thumb is to pick a gun that produces two foot-pounds of energy for each pound of game. So if you are hunting 200-pound hogs, you would want a 400 foot-pound airgun.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Several hunters have taken American Bison with big bore airguns, an adult bison can weigh over a ton. Having read the accounts of this being done, the bullet was powerful enough to pass entirely through the animal, and was able to impart enough energy into the animal to humanely dispatch it. A good rule of thumb is to pick a gun that produces two foot-pounds of energy for each pound of game. So if you are hunting 200-pound hogs, you would want a 400 foot-pound airgun.
    But then you’d need a 4,000 ft lb airgun for bison. A .45-70 doesn’t even generate anywhere near that and that took out a whack-load of bison.

Top Bottom