Can An Air Rifle Bring Down A Whitetail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    Has anyone gotten 4,500 psi air fills from an industrial gas supplier? I've never thought to ask them what their highest charge pressure is.

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    There’s a fair amount to know about tanks, certifications, which are legal to fill, all that regulatory stuff. There’s a good article on the pyramyd air website about them.

JLB768

Plinker
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    https://www.airforceairguns.com/The-Texan-by-AirForce-Airguns-s/118.htm

I believe the .457 and .510 are legal for deer in Indiana this year

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is good to know. There's a fire station a couple miles around the corner from me.

Now to find a decent deal on a tank...

You could probably get them filled at a scuba supply shop. Like this one just south of Bloomington.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You could probably get them filled at a scuba supply shop. Like this one just south of Bloomington.

I have a scuba tank that I fill the cylinders for the Morini 162EI air pistol I have. I get the scuba tank filled at the local scuba shop. Compressed air for scuba tanks is dry air which is supposed to be a plus for air guns.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010

"Air up to 3000 psi" is the problem, because that's the 200 Bar operating pressure most non-target guns are designed to operate at. The industry is producing carbon tanks rated to 4500 psi, so you can get a decent number of fills to your gun, but so far I haven't found anyplace that fills to that pressure. From what I can tell, if you have a gun with 200cc or larger onboard capacity (ie, don't want to foot-pump that much volume) and that operates at 200 bar, it becomes a DIY proposition and you need a compressor.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Feb 27, 2009
    "Air up to 3000 psi" is the problem, because that's the 200 Bar operating pressure most non-target guns are designed to operate at. The industry is producing carbon tanks rated to 4500 psi, so you can get a decent number of fills to your gun, but so far I haven't found anyplace that fills to that pressure. From what I can tell, if you have a gun with 200cc or larger onboard capacity (ie, don't want to foot-pump that much volume) and that operates at 200 bar, it becomes a DIY proposition and you need a compressor.
    They do up to 4.5k psi. The up to 3k that is shown is just the price for that psi. If you click on the link is shows prices for up to 3k, 3.1-3.5k and 3501-4.5k. Also prices for co2 and nitrox fills.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    This is where you really have to trust your technology. 4,500 psi is a little creepy to me. This past Fourth of July, I bought one of those "kaboom target thingies" consisting of a check valve with a schrader inlet and seal, that you screw onto a 2-liter bottle, allowing you to pressurize it to 120 psi with your bike pump, shoot it with an airgun, and hear the resulting kaboom.

I chickened out and just pumped it up to 110 psi the first time. Pfoosh! No boom. Not enough pressure.

On my next attempt at 120 psi, I used a different brand of soda bottle. It cut loose right next to my feet at 115 psi. Folks, I want to tell you I was stunned for a second or two. I can still feel the sensation of that pressure wave propagating up into my sinus cavities. The bottle completely disappeared in front of my eyes, and re-appeared behind a clump of grass 15 feet away. When I went in the house, my wife said, "Geezus, what was that, the neighbors are gonna call the cops!"

Pumping something up to 4,000 psi...static pressure...repeatedly...dang.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    This is where you really have to trust your technology. 4,500 psi is a little creepy to me. This past Fourth of July, I bought one of those "kaboom target thingies" consisting of a check valve with a schrader inlet and seal, that you screw onto a 2-liter bottle, allowing you to pressurize it to 120 psi with your bike pump, shoot it with an airgun, and hear the resulting kaboom.

I chickened out and just pumped it up to 110 psi the first time. Pfoosh! No boom. Not enough pressure.

On my next attempt at 120 psi, I used a different brand of soda bottle. It cut loose right next to my feet at 115 psi. Folks, I want to tell you I was stunned for a second or two. I can still feel the sensation of that pressure wave propagating up into my sinus cavities. The bottle completely disappeared in front of my eyes, and re-appeared behind a clump of grass 15 feet away. When I went in the house, my wife said, "Geezus, what was that, the neighbors are gonna call the cops!"

To quote tbhausen, it "only hurts once."

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

That sounds pretty scary. I wouldn’t do that. My air gun, however, has been standing in my closet with over 4000 psi in it since I bought it, so no problem with trusting that technology.

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    IIRC, doesn't the bigger the bore mean the less shot, until filling?

I was fairly seriously thinking about one of the .357 bullpups, but only 10-11 shots until fill needed kind of shied me off?

I see what you mean, but these aren't really the type that you spend a day plinking with either.

JLB768

Plinker
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    That sounds pretty scary. I wouldn’t do that. My air gun, however, has been standing in my closet with over 4000 psi in it since I bought it, so no problem with trusting that technology.
    Same here, charged it last fall before putting it up, aint lost a single lb of air.
    51309558009_0a320375b1_k.jpg

Top Bottom