Can a non violent felon hunt in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ***not legal advise***

I am discussing an issue theoretically as part of an exchange of ideas and am not giving legal advice to any person.

I am not aware of any Indiana or federal law that prohibits a felon from possessing a bow or crossbow.
    CAN be prohibited if a condition of probation or House Arrest.

I've had to do that before. Terminate a probation early so someone can go deer hunting with a bow.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is this a podcast somewhere?
    This guy sounds fascinating. Maybe he could be a guest on that one Saturday night radio show.
    Not a podcast. That is a slide from one of my seminars. I find "tests" useful for application. Most of the lawyers are staring down at phones or tablets so the interaction helps them learn. In fact I joke that I can find the true gun nuts that attend as I can see their eyes, everyone else I see the crown of their heads.

Teaching is just one of my hats. Have done it for National Business Institute, Indiana Public Defenders Council, different gun clubs, and the service.

Here is a flyer from a couple of years ago for my free CLE that I do here in Tippecanoe Co.:

1622905509869.png

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not a podcast. That is a slide from one of my seminars. I find "tests" useful for application. Most of the lawyers are staring down at phones or tablets so the interaction helps them learn. In fact I joke that I can find the true gun nuts that attend as I can see their eyes, everyone else I see the crown of their heads.

Teaching is just one of my hats. Have done it for National Business Institute, Indiana Public Defenders Council, different gun clubs, and the service.

Here is a flyer from a couple of years ago for my free CLE that I do here in Tippecanoe Co.:

View attachment 142742

When is the next one of these please? I would like to learn more.

Also, out of curiosity, does federal or state law include air guns? From what I have read some of them are pretty bada** today and can be used for hunting more than pigeons?

Regards,

Doug

PS - Regard ex #4 I would have thought the worst offense would have been attending Purdue...?:stickpoke:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Also, out of curiosity, does federal or state law include air guns? From what I have read some of them are pretty bada** today and can be used for hunting more than pigeons?

Regards,

Doug

PS - Regard ex #4 I would have thought the worst offense would have been attending Purdue...?:stickpoke:
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have given Kirk's number to an associate of mine. He has priors from long ago. He has an air rifle that is way more powerful than my silenced .22lr.

Unfortunately he also has a few firearms that I recently found out about. Claims he called and has gotten no reply. I am just staying away from his house and vehicle as I don't want anything else to do with that scenario.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    While SVF gets lots of attention, don't forget IC 35-47-2-1 which prohibits any felon from possessing a handgun within 15 years of their felony conviction. Any felony.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    More examples from the award winning seminar series "Load & Make Ready: Understanding Indiana Firearms Law" by Kirt Freeland, Attorney at Law. How many can you correctly call?
    8. Ricky Bobby has conviction for “Battery”, will not tell you who against?
    Is it an "AA", "AAA", "C" or "D" Battery? I think that is important in the analysis.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Regardless or prior convictions, It is ok for him to hunt cougars in Broad Ripple as long as it is limited to wrestling them with no firearms or other"weapons".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    True, carrying (can't edit the above). As in the glove compartment? All my clients thoughtfully keep theirs in the center console or glove compartment, where the police spot them immediately...
    That's thoughtful of your clients.

Do they keep it in alphabetical order too like some of mine? The gun is next to the marijuana which is next to the pipe, or bong, gun, marijuana.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Regards,

Doug

Indeed, I purchased a Walther air rifle to annoy varmints with...killed the first deer I tried to annoy. Ground Hogs at 50yds no problem. I initially thought it silly that it came with a recoil pad and scope.

Top Bottom