• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I usually prefer to camp in the state forests as far away from everyone else as I can, I have a small popup trailer and I am fully self contained. I called a couple of my favorite state forests and they are very busy this time of year with hunters. I am in NWI and looking for solitude and a place to ride my mountain bike and hike and sight see and maybe some target shooting. Shooting could be with pellet guns if firearms would be an issue. I called Brown County State Park and they said that they are pretty crowded almost year round and mentioned maybe looking into Monroe. Id prefer to not go too far South for driving time but what recommendations do you guys have? Id like to take about 4 or 5 days in the next several weeks.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Maybe Salamonie. For mountain biking there is the Bloodroot Trail which we regularly hike and rarely see anyone hiking or riding. Roush shooting range is 20 minutes away.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    McCormick's creeks is a nice campground, No idea how crowded it is with hunters though. They do leave a bathroom and shower house open until after Thanksgiving according to the DNR website if you would want a warm bathroom or shower.

I do a lot of winter camping in my pop up as well, but I usually stay in the Southern part of the state.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You could try turkey Run, there’s no hunting allowed there, so it’s not as likely to be busy with hunters. Shades state park may be another alternative, I didn’t check to see if you can hunt there, but I don’t think so.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Hoosier Nat'l Forest has plenty of dispersed camping. I'd say it's worth the drive if you want proper isolation, and not much further than Brown County. Along 446 south of Deam Wilderness (no camping there) is as far as you need to go without scouting a spot first. That section north of HW 58 has better access roads and sites are obvious as you drive around. But, the stretch south of Shoals can be more remote and has better views, once you know your way around.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Pushing my trip, now the week of Nov 14 through the 18th. I guess my window of warm weather is over but hoping for some more suggestions. I believe hunting season will still be open in the state forests so I would like to avoid them and find basic dispersed or empty camping spots elsewhere in central to Southern In or even Kentucky

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Pushing my trip, now the week of Nov 14 through the 18th. I guess my window of warm weather is over but hoping for some more suggestions. I believe hunting season will still be open in the state forests so I would like to avoid them and find basic dispersed or empty camping spots elsewhere in central to Southern In or even Kentucky
    Celina campground in Perry county has a few dispersed spots and plenty of regular camping spots that are fairly spread out, there is hunting alowed around there though in the Hoosier National Forest.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Hoosier Nat'l Forest has plenty of dispersed camping. I'd say it's worth the drive if you want proper isolation, and not much further than Brown County. Along 446 south of Deam Wilderness (no camping there) is as far as you need to go without scouting a spot first. That section north of HW 58 has better access roads and sites are obvious as you drive around. But, the stretch south of Shoals can be more remote and has better views, once you know your way around.
    They allow both dispersed camping (in addition to the campgrounds) and target shooting in most of Hoosier National Forest.

Maps

Rules

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    As of now Im planning on heading to Monroe Lake for at least a couple of days at a non electric site and then maybe Brown County which seems to be fairly empty. I am really pressed for time and only skimmed Monroe Lake on the DNR website. Any info anyone can share would be appreciated? What is the firewood situation there?

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    As of now Im planning on heading to Monroe Lake for at least a couple of days at a non electric site and then maybe Brown County which seems to be fairly empty. I am really pressed for time and only skimmed Monroe Lake on the DNR website. Any info anyone can share would be appreciated? What is the firewood situation there?
    I used to work there so I can answer about any question. Monroe lake is a flood control reservoir leased from US Army Corps of Engineers - since federal property you technically can't carry a firearm. That's about the only rule people aren't be familiar with. No fires in non-designated areas (rings). Firewood is available at "Geralds Wood Shed" along 446 or at Fishin' Shedd (entrance of Paynetown), but not in the park. Monroe Lake property is 25,000acre, 14,000 of which is land depending on flood level - it extends all the way to Brown County State Park, even.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I was planning on Monroe but stopped as I passed Owen Putnam, fish campground was empty so I stayed. Had a group of about 10 Asians camp a few spots away there for a few days hunting. Nice neighbors but had some very peculiar hunting habits and though they ate very well I don't think they got a deer. Used Big Buddy heater, heated great but takes up too much room, I need to rig up one of those diesel hot air heaters for next time.

Top Bottom