• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm ready for it:

I bought new grips for my S&W 642 at the Indy 1500 this afternoon.

But I can't get my OLD grips off my revolver. The washer that grips the screw opposite the screw head just keeps turning and turning and turning and turning... It won't let the screw back out. Or tighten up, for that matter.

How in the hoohah am I supposed to get this screw out so I can mount my pretty new walnut ones?

-J-

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Jam a thumbtack between the bushing and the grip. Or carefully, very carefully, apply a tiny tiny droplet of superglue to the bushing/grip, not the threads (I said carefully). That could set the ushing.

mmills63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Shelbyville, IN.
    Take a small prick punch and tap a prick dot on washer and then you can use that punch mark and the punch to hold washer while turning screw to loosen. If that does not work or the threads are stripped then take a small carbide burr and cut the center of washer out (only do this if you feel steady enough to use die grinder) A carbide burr can do alot of damage if it grabs and jumps. Another way is to prick punch the center of washer and run a drill in it and washer will spin off much like drilling out a rivit. If you happen to be around Pendleton you could bring it by and I can help. Let me know if you have any questions these are things I have done in the past as a toolmaker.:patriot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd thought about using some loctite, actually... I have some of the blue stuff. I tried pushing the bushing/washer with some needle nose pliars while my wife turned the screwdriver...no luck.

I'll attempt the thumbtack approach next.

NHT3, if the thumbtack doesn't work, I'll buzz you an email. I live down at Co. Ln. Rd, and Shelby St.

-J-

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    STUPID!!!!!!

O.K. Now that that is out of the way I guess I will go read your post to find out why you want us to call you stupid....

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    J

All I can say is I am picturing the two of your, over 6', rather educated, sitting there getting your butts kicked by a little screw:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    J

All I can say is I am picturing the two of your, over 6', rather educated, sitting there getting your butts kicked by a little screw:D

Laugh it up, Josh! :D

I had a pair of bent-knose pliars pressed on the bushing...I'm holding as still as I can. My wife was pushing as hard as she could on the screw from the other side. My wife is STRONG. It was all I could do to keep from falling over as she pushed.

I'm VERY glad that neither of our hands slipped, having a 4" Stanley screwdriver embedded in my chest would have REALLY sucked.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Haven't gotten the screw out yet...

Still working on the punch angle; I need to find something small enough, yet sturdy enough to not crush when I tap it with a hammer.

I tried a small drill bit in a manual drill, but the dimple was too shallow to allow anything to get a grip on it.

I have some dental tools, actually, that I might be able to get to "punch". Not sure, though.

Also, my needle-nose pliers aren't very "needle-like", they have fairly blunt ends.

I'm still workin' on it!

-J-

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    are you trying to save the grips that are on it now? or do you just want them off? if you dont care about em you could take a wood chisel and a small hammer and cut the wood out around the washer so you can get a pair of vice grips or something on the washer

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Kingrat,

I'd like to salvage the grips if I could. Granted, they're just the factory hard-rubber ones, but still!

I hate to think that I might have to cut out around the washer to get a grip on it. The washer's pretty much toast anyhow, it's just stuck!

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom