• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    California is apparently planning on expanding their currently adrift microstamping requirement to law enforcement sales in order to leverage manufacturers into making guns on their terms, which presumably would bleed over as soon as the technology becomes viable.

Barrett stopped selling to any California government agency when California banned .50 BMG from civilian sales. I am hoping the manufacturers will band together and tell California.gov we hope you enjoy fighting crime and/or oppressing your citizens with sharp sticks.

https://abcnews-go-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Business/wireStory/california-bill-aims-jumpstart-microstamps-handguns-76628368?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16165653184055&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FBusiness%2FwireStory%2Fcalifornia-bill-aims-jumpstart-microstamps-handguns-76628368

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    “I don't see how this would to help to solve crime or resolve criminal misuse of firearms.”

With the catch and release mentality of prosecutors what is the point?

22ishplinkster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Pokes the bear: There is a huge business opportunity to sell microstamped firing pins.

You get to sell a new one to law enforcement every 10 rounds... so 1 per officer per year for range quals.
    Then 10 a day in Compton.

And you can charge for installation. $100 seems about right, right? /s

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Everybody should tell them to bugger off. I've worked for a number of manufacturers that have just given up selling stuff to Ca. The regs just don't end with firearms, Prop 65 made doing business there very complicated.
    Is that what they want?

If they can get manufacturers to stop selling to cali nc of xyz. That's the formula to pass those laws in all states thus crushing the industry.

Also forgive my ignorance...what exactly do they hope to accomplish with micro stamping?

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Is that what they want?

If they can get manufacturers to stop selling to cali nc of xyz. That's the formula to pass those laws in all states thus crushing the industry.

Also forgive my ignorance...what exactly do they hope to accomplish with micro stamping?
    They've already gotten manufacturers to stop selling to people CA, no new handguns have been approved for sale since microstamping became a requirement. The problem is that isn't what they wanted. What they wanted to force gun manufacturers to perfect the technology for microstamping so it be easier to pass those laws in other states

So now, by requiring LEO firearms also have microstamping they are banking on those manufacturers that were willing to give up on the CA civilian market will finally do CA's bidding and start making guns with microstamping (the problem is its not unwillingness though, its just not something that can be done)

What they hope to accomplish depends on who you ask. I would say they hope to limit the firearms market for civilians, but whoever is proposing this law must be a true believer, because the government wouldn't otherwise impose gun control on itself

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They've already gotten manufacturers to stop selling to people CA, no new handguns have been approved for sale since microstamping became a requirement. The problem is that isn't what they wanted. What they wanted to force gun manufacturers to perfect the technology for microstamping so it be easier to pass those laws in other states

So now, by requiring LEO firearms also have microstamping they are banking on those manufacturers that were willing to give up on the CA civilian market will finally do CA's bidding and start making guns with microstamping (the problem is its not unwillingness though, its just not something that can be done)

What they hope to accomplish depends on who you ask. I would say they hope to limit the firearms market for civilians, but whoever is proposing this law must be a true believer, because the government wouldn't otherwise impose gun control on itself
    Exactly. The manufacturers need to tell CA.gov to arm their police with sharp sticks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Is that what they want?

You are correct in some instances, it's protectionism. CA has food standards like the amount of protein in milk sold to discourage agricultural competition. You may remember some years back when china was slammed for putting melamine in foods that had a CA protein standard. It was a way of gaming the test as they understood how the state was doing the checks. Prop 65 was a great opportunity to the CA legal industry making it easy to sue people who sent manufactured products into the state that might contain material in them that didn't meet CA standards. They get away with it because it's a large market.

Microstamping is a discredited tech that it a good example of why you buy laws. When you buy the law, manufacturers have to lease your technology. Part of the money you collect goes back to the officials that sold the law to you. How many crimes it solves is irrelevant, how much cash it generates is.

Always follow the money

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

What they hope to accomplish depends on who you ask. I would say they hope to limit the firearms market for civilians, but whoever is proposing this law must be a true believer, because the government wouldn't otherwise impose gun control on itself That might not work well for them...then again, they're libtards who talk about defunding the police.

They already forgot about Barrett? That might not work out well for them but they're libtards who talk about defunding the police

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    They already forgot about Barrett? That might not work out well for them but they're libtards who talk about defunding the police
    I don't even think its unwillingness from the manufacturers. I'm sure there is at least one company out there that would love have a monopoly over the CA market. Its a matter of technology and material strength. The stamps wear out too quickly, or they just dent the casing rather than imprinting (because there's nothing supporting it from the inside), etc etc

There is some speculation that this was known when the law was passed, to prevent new guns from being sold (although I never underestimate the progressives' notion that inventions can be legislated) but like I said this LEO expansion is clearly being proposed by someone who actually believes gun control works to reduce violence and crime

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't even think its unwillingness from the manufacturers. I'm sure there is at least one company out there that would love have a monopoly over the CA market. Its a matter of technology and material strength. The stamps wear out too quickly, or they just dent the casing rather than imprinting (because there's nothing supporting it from the inside), etc etc

There is some speculation that this was known when the law was passed, to prevent new guns from being sold (although I never underestimate the progressives' notion that inventions can be legislated) but like I said this LEO expansion is clearly being proposed by someone who actually believes gun control works to reduce violence and crime
    Unless a company is run by corporate bean counters instead of "gun people" with a memory, it should be obvious that this legislation is intended to ultimately destroy private gun ownership. They might as well go along with the bill to end immunity from suits for criminal abuse of guns.
    While you're right about not underestimating their belief that inventions (and morality etc--even gender!) can be legislated, I've become cynical enough to believe they'd enact impossible standards (like "smart guns") in order to prevent civilian gun ownership. Likewise, Having seen the anti-gun lobby and it's congressional cronies OPPOSE establishing NICS and seeing obama end "operation exile", I don't believe they give a flip about reducing crime and violence. In fact, they welcome it when they can exploit it. "operation 'fast&furious' " or "president harris" organizing bail for the "mostly peaceful rioters" this summer indicate that

Top Bottom