• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    The past 2 years I've bought 1/2 off a 1/2 from kmk cattle in Kokomo. They have used 2 different processors this year one in flora and last year "this old farm" neat Colfax. All I had to do was write the checks and pick it up when processed. Was $3 lb hanging weight and right at $1 for processing so just at about $4.10/lb for 90% lean ground beef, Ribeyes and roasts. Try finding any of that for similar cost.
    As others have said processing is the bottleneck. They have had appts cancelled due to health shutdowns. I've only got a cell number for kmk. Pm me of you're interested in inquiring about availability and I'll send their number.
    Rick

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I buy a quarter of a beef (half of a half so we get all cuts) and a whole hog each year for the freezer. The pork ends up being about $2 a pound processed and we get plenty of bacon, sausage, hams, roasts, etc. I also get lard for baking pies and such. The beef ends up being about $3.25 a pound processed. The pork was $1.20 a pound this year plus processing and the beef was $2.60 plus processing. There is also a small "kill fee" added to the processing cost. The cost is based on hanging weight after it is slaughtered but before it is processed and packaged.

About three years ago, I also found a family that raises and processes whole chickens. I got 36 of those this year for the freezer at $3.50 a pound. While that is more than I would pay in the store, I know what I have and am happy to pay them for quality meat. The beef and pork are much cheaper than anything in the store so I figure it balances out and my freezers are full. Add to that the bluegill and crappie hubby and I catch and clean, and I buy zero meat in the store other than an occasional turkey when they are just too cheap to pass up.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Our hogs just went in:
    My neighbor's hog was 300 lbs. at $0.54 was $162.
    My half (ther half my parents) was $97.20 He weighed 360.

Cow goes in in January.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ex wife has a friend down by Richmond who raises a few cows every year, and she and I split half a beef. He usually takes it to Ketring's in New Madison OH, and I highly recommend them. They pay attention to what you want, and do it how you ask. She has them cut the steaks extra thick, and it's nice. About three years ago they couldn't get into Ketring's, and had Winner's over by Greenville do the work. Also excellent work.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Phylo,

If you are still interested in buying a cow feel free to hit me up. We have black angus at that farm we shot at a few years back.

Honestly you could butcher your own, or pay This Old Farm for expensive but extremely professional vacuum sealed packages.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    I'm 100% ignorant but curious about buying whole or half a pig or cow. I assume it saves money? If so, why?

That said, I'm interested in buying so if we have any members in the business let me know.
    Hi there. I just read your post. we butcher our own cows or pigs. It is not hard. We will go to the sale barn and buy a cow (kill cow) for as little as 40 cents a pound. Put the entire thing into burger. (easy to do) You have about 2 bucks a pound in it when done. I do not trust any butchering house that sells meat and also butchers for people. doing it yourself or having someone do it with you who has the equipment is the way to go. we do not charge people.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    It saves a lot of money. You pay for the animal on a per pound basis, and then you pay for it to be processed. You save money because you are not paying the markup for the more desirable cuts. Ground Beef, Round Steak, NY Strips, Filets, etc all cost the same per pound. You tell the processor what cuts you want, and then the rest ends up as ground beef.

You'll need a large freezer for a side of beef, and a medium size freezer for a pig. When we get a side of beef it usually ends up around 400lbs.

The first step would be to find a processor near you. Someone on here can hopefully suggest a good one.
    What I don't have room for in the freezer gets dried or canned.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Would love to get some type of INGO buyers co-op going. I could probably take half or quarter of beef or half a hog. If we have others in the market, maybe time our purchasing power when animal and butchering capacity is available.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Would love to get some type of INGO buyers co-op going. I could probably take half or quarter of beef or half a hog. If we have others in the market, maybe time our purchasing power when animal and butchering capacity is available.

I am working with someone on the farming side to setup something similar. Right now I am praying hard we get to buy our farm. Then I can help with the INGO side too.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Decatur
    I had the farmer at my hunting lease raise a steer for me this year. Ended up with close to 600lbs at a few cents over $3/lb. There's a lot of meat there.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Did that down in Texas. Got a 230lb and a 206lb. Neither were really that good as whole cuts. The sausage was ok. The chops, ribs and shoulders were all dry and leather like in texture.
    The only thing I've killed in Texas that didn't need extensive use of the grinder or crock pot was a young feral hog and when I say young I mean stick it in the smoker whole size.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Did that down in Texas. Got a 230lb and a 206lb. Neither were really that good as whole cuts. The sausage was ok. The chops, ribs and shoulders were all dry and leather like in texture.
    Try some from Georgia. As good as any store bought pork I’ve ever had!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The only thing I've killed in Texas that didn't need extensive use of the grinder or crock pot was a young feral hog and when I say young I mean stick it in the smoker whole size.

You can get some pretty big ones in the right kinda smoker.

BY9OiWy.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Our hogs just went in:
    My neighbor's hog was 300 lbs. at $0.54 was $162.
    My half (ther half my parents) was $97.20 He weighed 360.

Cow goes in in January.
    Beef weighed 1150lbs @ 1.35 per lb. My half is $776.25.
    Yes, it went up but so did the inputs. $7 corn is a culprit.

Top Bottom