• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm 100% ignorant but curious about buying whole or half a pig or cow. I assume it saves money? If so, why?

That said, I'm interested in buying so if we have any members in the business let me know.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It saves a lot of money. You pay for the animal on a per pound basis, and then you pay for it to be processed. You save money because you are not paying the markup for the more desirable cuts. Ground Beef, Round Steak, NY Strips, Filets, etc all cost the same per pound. You tell the processor what cuts you want, and then the rest ends up as ground beef.

You'll need a large freezer for a side of beef, and a medium size freezer for a pig. When we get a side of beef it usually ends up around 400lbs.

The first step would be to find a processor near you. Someone on here can hopefully suggest a good one.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    The 1st year, we talked with the locker and went over a cut sheet. Have in mind the things you want and they can guide you through the estimate if what you can get per animal. The 1st year is the adjustment year. Keep a paper somewhere listing the adjustments to the cut sheet when the locker calls you the next year (packaging, cut thickness, items, etc.) For example, one year I will have to switch the packaging of 2 steaks/chops per package to 3 per for this family of 3. Kid is just not old enough yet. We discovered year 1 that our smoked ham sizes were too big and had to cut them in half the following year.

The initial investment of a freezer and writing the checks to the farmer(s) and locker once a year is the hardest part for people who can't save and budget. My processing for the hog is more than the hog itself. Speaking of the freezer, we have a deep freezer. When we replace it, the wife wants an upright. She is shorter and is tired of struggling to reach things at the bottom.

The piece of mind and quality is typically better too.

1/2 a beef and 1/2 a hog feeds this family for an entire year (obviously eating chicken, fish, etc. throughout the year)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am picking up a whole hog that I had processed tomorrow. I think you save some. Probably not as much as some people think. I got charged hanging weight. How much bone, skin and other waste did I pay for? But the way things are going, what will the price of meat be in a couple months.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I keep a file. Here is a some old cut lists and this past year's locker fees of ours (1/2 beef, 1/2 hog) to give you and idea. I can't remember what the hog was per pound last year (i wrote a check under $80), but I believe the cow was $1.25 per pound, but I get a better deal than that since Dad is a cattle farmer. Prices will probably go up about $0.12 per pound this year with all the input costs. 20211111_064830.jpg

Edit: Figure a whole cow will be roughly 1,200lbs.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    We also had to invest in a couple more large coolers for transport of the meat from the locker to the house.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I just paid $140 processing fee for a 1/4 beef. roughly 175 lbs. (37 lbs gorund beef)total cost $620 with processing(beef from a friend). Different processor last year in greenwood cost me $300 more.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have a 1/2 beef coming next spring (he is eating his way thru the pasture right now). Will order a full hog in the next couple of weeks.

I think we are between $7 and $8 per pound for beef. 160# or so for the finished product. The hog is less. IMHO: ends up a bit cheaper than grocery, but for significantly better quality. Pretty sure I could save even more finding a cheaper farmer and cheaper processing. But, I'm happy with what we have.

Need a source for bulk fish.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Had a local guy take two heifers to the locker plant and they would only pay 70 cents/pound. He told them to load them back up and took them to a friend and he gave them $1 per pound.

A local grocery has top round $9.95 per pound, just who is getting rich here?

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    We got a 1/4 beef middle of last month and after paying for the beef and the processor we're at less than 1/2 the cost of buying at the store.
    The worst part was trying to buy a new upright freezer. Nothing of any decent size in stock and if it was it was only the super fancy $3k+ models. Got lucky and found one right off the truck that hadn't made it in to inventory yet. Checked in and sold in seconds.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I raise beef, pork, lamb, rabbit, chicken, and eggs. You save money but for a lot of people they get sticker shock still when buying it all at once. They aren’t used to going into the grocery store and buying 400# of beef. That being said even if you didn’t save money…. You’re getting a far superior product (most of the time, know your farmer) We raise all our animals as naturally as we can. They aren’t in cement feed lots they get grass, sun, they get to be animals. No weird chemicals or medicines. We supplement with local non gmo grain. I had two choices become a vegan or raise my own. Don’t like supporting the factory farms I love meat but respect animals as well.

We have a beef going in Jan 3 in northwest Indiana. and pork in early spring.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Not only can you save money but you can get a better product. I have our beef hang for 3 weeks. In college the professors insisted 24 hours was enough. That is how commercial plants do it.

You can also get exactly what you want. When I brought home ours I also had bags of the bones for broth. I could have gotten anything else I wanted as well.

For those new to buying suck large amounts I go through the cut sheets for them. Give guidance and suggestions based on how they like things.

Once you get GOOD beef you won’t buy at the store anymore.

Top Bottom