• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Why is this gun, dirty is somthing I think of every time I pick up a gun with intent to buy. Mabey it is lazyness or just not enough time in the day that causes this. When I take one of my firearms to a show to sell it I make darn sure that it is clean. But more often than not the guns, dealers are selling are dirty. One reason I clean my gun is to ensure top price when I sell it. I would like too know If I am right, wrong or just crazy. So here is what I would like to know, Thanks.

1. Do you clean your guns before selling why/why not.
    2.In your experience dose a dirty gun get a higher price either from dealer or private sale.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I will clean first... and i expect to see a clean gun when i go to buy... however there are alot of guys who know the gun will sell regardless of it being clean or not so they dont go through the trouble of cleaning. Its hard to tell a bores condition with a bunch of powder fouling though so it might effect resale value.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've sold one gun that I had neglected to clean. Otherwise I clean them. I wouldn't have a clue as to whether it gets a better price, but I know if I see a dirty gun, the price I'm willing to pay goes down, maybe not much, but it goes down.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    If they cant clean the gun that's "never been shot for 3 years" im definitely spending more time checking it out. Nothing to change my mind maybe but im more careful in looking for problems for sure.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Wow, did I ever misunderstand your title. Thought you meant "dirty" dirty, as in stolen or something. As far as the firearm's cleanliness is concerned, I keep all guns clean all the time, I expect to buy them in the same condition. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only time you would buy a dirty firearm from me is if you bought it out of my holster. Cause God only knows how dirty and greasy I will be getting while I work.
    Everything is for sale if you offer enough cash...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I just sold a P7M13 friday that I hadn't cleaned after the last 75 round outing. No matter. The buyer was able to see exactly how cruddy it got after 5-6 mags and knew what he was looking for.

It's like buying a used car- sometimes it's nice to see the car BEFORE it's scrubbed clean at the dealer- they can hid all sorts of crap. It could have had a little grime on it and I'd like to see that. Better than a steam cleaned engine that could have been leaking oil the day before...

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    The only time you would buy a dirty firearm from me is if you bought it out of my holster. Cause God only knows how dirty and greasy I will be getting while I work.
    Everything is for sale if you offer enough cash...

So what does your collection consist of? I have plenty of cash...:spend:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I will rarely buy and never sell a dirty firearm..I have bought dirty guns in the past but I was able to try them rite there to make sure they ran smooth.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For me, I clean 'em before I sell them.

Just makes sense!

It's like washing and sweeping out your car before you trade it in. Yeah, they wash it and sweep it out before cleaning it, but it can help the value, especially if the buyer is on the fence.

I think that the only time that I might buy a dirty firearm is if, somehow, the seller and I agreed to meet at a range and I actually got to fire the weapon before I purchased.

-J-

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I use it to my advantage, I ask for $20 off the price cause obviously its rusty and neglected, then I go spray it down and clean it up like new.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Its like taking a girl on a frist date.

You don't scrub your car completly clean becasue then it shows you are trying to hard.

On the other hand, you have to clean it up or you will look like the slob you are.

So the only choice is to clean it to make it look good, but if you look real hard you see some dirt here and there!:popcorn:

Top Bottom