• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Is there a waiting period? I'm trying to convince a friend to get his permit now before he buys a handgun this spring...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's perfectly legal to buy a handgun without a license and there is no waiting period. The license only covers carrying a handgun outside of your house (and a couple other specific places).

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    no waiting time, you can buy it if you dont have your permit but you have to transport it to you home...... R

I don't know if this is sarcastic or not. But its perfectly legal to transport a gun you just purchased home without a permit. Just don't load it or wear it. Put the gun unloaded in the trunk and drive home. You will break no laws even if you don't have a permit

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't know if this is sarcastic or not. But its perfectly legal to transport a gun you just purchased home without a permit. Just don't load it or wear it. Put the gun unloaded in the trunk and drive home. You will break no laws even if you don't have a permit

what if he pays cash, ftf, from a private individual with no paperwork involved?

is the cop gonna ask for a receipt to verify it was just purchased?

serious question, i don't know.

thanks.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    It all comes down to do you have care and control of the gun.

The other day my wife brought me my guns, her permit had expired so she put the guns in the trunk and locked the ammo in the glove box.

I have been told by the ISP that this is a legal way to transport them.

I'm not a lawyer but this is what I was told.

BTW she is going to renew her permit next week.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    From the ICC:
    IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

So, no need to put it in the trunk as long as its in a secure wrapper. Now, what is a secured wrapper? When I bought my first handgun, I didn't have a LTCW, so I brought mine home in a brown paper bag that had been stapled shut with the receipt on the outside.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    related question: was there ever a waiting period to purchase a hand gun in Indiana? for some reason back in the late 90s I thought that there was a 7 day waiting period if you didnt have a permit?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It all comes down to do you have care and control of the gun.

The other day my wife brought me my guns, her permit had expired so she put the guns in the trunk and locked the ammo in the glove box.

I have been told by the ISP that this is a legal way to transport them.

I'm not a lawyer but this is what I was told.

BTW she is going to renew her permit next week.

I'm not a lawyer either, but she broke the law, unless she was transporting them from place of purchase to home, home to business (or business to home), or home/business to place of repair or sale. Unloaded, in trunk, ammo with them or elsewhere are totally unimportant in this discussion. The problem is that she transported them without a LTCH to other than one of the approved places.

Good for her for going to renew her LTCH.

Blessings,
    B

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If you have a ccw from Indiana, can you take your gun out of state without breaking the law?

Provided your destination has reciprocity for an Indiana license, making it legal for you to carry there, you are protected by Federal peacable journey law to transport it there.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    related question: was there ever a waiting period to purchase a hand gun in Indiana? for some reason back in the late 90s I thought that there was a 7 day waiting period if you didnt have a permit?

IIRC, before the Brady bill implemented the NICS check, there was a five full "work" day (or seven day if you counted the weekend) waiting period in Indiana, or cooling off period, before you could take ownership of a handgun if you bought it from a FFL. Those of us with Indiana License to Carry Handgun were exempted from the waiting period. Also, IIRC, long guns were exempt from this waiting period as well.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    (Don't shoot the messenger!) :)

For what it's worth, I was told by an IN officer (which may not be the actual written law) that the issue of transportation without LTCH is having the firearm and ammo in the same quarters. I have my permit, but got into this discussion with a group of people. He indicated that the gun must not be loaded, and it must be stored/transported in a seperate part of the car from the ammo, and you can't be able to access both items from any single point in the vehicle. So, guns in trunk, ammo in front or vice versa. If you do this, he inidcated you can transport them as long as you have use for them at your destination, i.e., you can't just be "transporting" them every day and leave them in your car. He gave the example of going to a friends house to shoot, and said when you get back home they need to come out of your car.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    (Don't shoot the messenger!) :)

For what it's worth, I was told by an IN officer (which may not be the actual written law) that the issue of transportation without LTCH is having the firearm and ammo in the same quarters. I have my permit, but got into this discussion with a group of people. He indicated that the gun must not be loaded, and it must be stored/transported in a seperate part of the car from the ammo, and you can't be able to access both items from any single point in the vehicle. So, guns in trunk, ammo in front or vice versa. If you do this, he inidcated you can transport them as long as you have use for them at your destination, i.e., you can't just be "transporting" them every day and leave them in your car. He gave the example of going to a friends house to shoot, and said when you get back home they need to come out of your car.

Then the guy that told you that doesn't know what he's talking about. Look, the law is very clear on when you can transport without a license and how you must do so. The statute spells out the specific times you can do so in no uncertain terms. The only thing that's not clear is the definition of "secure wrapper" as it is not defined in the statutes. It doesn't say anything about "separate from the ammo". In fact, it doesn't mention ammo at all except to say that the gun must be unloaded. This is all you need to know:

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Those are the ONLY times an ordinary citizen (non-LEO, or one of the other limited exceptions in the statute) can legally transport a gun without a license.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would only shoot a messenger if they were a threat to me, or others, or attempting to gain illegal access to my home, or my vehicle, or were bearing bad news...

We do hear many stories of officers, lawyers, Wal-Mart managers, etc. who do not know the actual codes but give a close (or very random) interpretation and attempt to enforce as such. Read up and know it for yourself to keep within the law.:twocents:

Top Bottom