• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QingLong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My wife carries a Glock 19 as her duty piece, but has always wanted a 22 plinker for the range (not to mention a gun that doesn't look like it's been beaten to hell). She hates my Walther P22 (yeah, I know, join the club), so this year's Xmas box is a Ruger 22/45 Lite...gold-colored range jewelry that happens to also shoot well. Of course, literally THE DAY AFTER I get the gun home and hidden away, she casually-but-not-actually-casually mentions "Mossberg" to me.

Guess I'll know by midmorning December 25th if I made the right choice...

Timcor3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Buying one for my wife's B-Day in two weeks, her first! At least her own anyway, I may be more excited than her, guess we'll see!

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Excellent thread. I recently completed NRA Basic Pistol training with my wife but she is yet to choose a handgun. I was thinking of getting her a Bodyguard 380 without asking her, but after reading this thread, learned that its a big no no.

My biggest takeaway is that "she" has to make the choice. She will likely reject anything I get for her.

terryjordan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    I took my wife to Pop guns. The service sucks their but she did pick out a kimber ultra carry ll in 45. Ladies out there who carry is this a good chioce for my wifes frist gun. I tried to talk her into a berrtta PX4 Storm which one would u carry

mopar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    greenfield, in
    very good ideas, My wife after much conservation with me has decided she wants to learn how to shoot a gun and own for herself. Thanks for all of the ideas on how to proceed.

seahag56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    What I've got...

I carry a Ruger LCP .380 nearly every day because it's easy to carry on the body.

However, I ALSO have a S&W M&P 9C (compact 9mm) - WOW. Great gun, unless you have small hands. It's a double-stack, so has a fat butt.

I have a S&W M&P .22 for target shooting - also an excellent pistol.

I'm kinda sorta trying to take That Man's S&W Shield away from him, but I'm afraid it's just not gonna happen. I already stole the 9mm!

And, he was good enough to get me a Mossberg 12-gauge Chainsaw - I think it's my Mother's Day present. Hmmmmmmmm...

He says I'm a Certified Gun Nut (because I buy ammo for guns I don't own yet).

He may be right. :):

seahag56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    Me too!

I had bought my Makarov for CC and the first time my wife held it, the next words out of her mouth were, "Wow, what a nice pistol. It fits my hand just right. So what are you going to carry?"

That's EXACTLY what I did to That Man when he brought home a S&W M&P 9C! He was a little perturbed until he was able to find another one for himself. :laugh:

mbafta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Warrick Co.
    I took my wife to Pop guns. The service sucks their but she did pick out a kimber ultra carry ll in 45. Ladies out there who carry is this a good chioce for my wifes frist gun. I tried to talk her into a berrtta PX4 Storm which one would u carry

I'm not a lady but I live with one:D I would definitely advise your wife to shoot a .45 before deciding on that particular firearm. You don't want to scare her from carrying a gun and a .45 is lot for most men as a 1st gun:twocents:
    Not to mention the price tag if she were to shoot it and decide it's to much...of course you would end up with a sweet piece:yesway:

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    i will say that last month my wife bought her first handgun ever. I decided to let her deal with the sales rep herself and just not have an opinion on anything. I have no business at all speaking up as it is not my gun to either carry or shoot. My opinion doesn't matter.

vanillagorilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    central Indy
    i will say that last month my wife bought her first handgun ever. I decided to let her deal with the sales rep herself and just not have an opinion on anything. I have no business at all speaking up as it is not my gun to either carry or shoot. My opinion doesn't matter.

I would rethink that a little. Salespeople are there to sell not get what is best for her. Hopefully she had a knowledgeable person that knows everyone is built different and can handle different things.

When I teach a class I will let the ladies shoot a 22 first and move up from there. Each gun is different (grips, sights, weight, recoil, size) and you can not always say this 9mm shoots like this other 9mm.

And as much as I hate to say it, no matter how good you are with a gun, IMO it is better that someone else teach the significant other how to shoot. I have been instructing for over 20 years and still sometimes forget my wife was not with me for every class. She does not know what I know.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    I would rethink that a little. Salespeople are there to sell not get what is best for her. Hopefully she had a knowledgeable person that knows everyone is built different and can handle different things.

When I teach a class I will let the ladies shoot a 22 first and move up from there. Each gun is different (grips, sights, weight, recoil, size) and you can not always say this 9mm shoots like this other 9mm.

And as much as I hate to say it, no matter how good you are with a gun, IMO it is better that someone else teach the significant other how to shoot. I have been instructing for over 20 years and still sometimes forget my wife was not with me for every class. She does not know what I know.
    She did have a great person working with her in Elmore's. She got a ruger SR22. she picked it up and knew it was hers from first feel. can't argue with that. And she plans to move up eventualy but as for now a 22 is better than nothing for carry.

nlnyhuise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    SW Indy
    Actual, the salesman helped confirm what I wanted. I had to my husband I wanted a 22. He all but laughed at me. But it's what I know and what I felt comfy with since I have not shot a gun in almost 10 years. When we went into the shop, I told the salesman my thoughts, and he agreed with me. You have to buy what you are comfy with, not what you should have. Now next year when it is time to buy a new gun I will get a 9mm or something else, but right now I am comfy with what I bought. He took the time with me to let me hold them all and let me get a feel for them. There was no rush, or pressure. I do not believe anyone can tell anyone what gun to buy. It's about what feels right for that person

vanillagorilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    central Indy
    A sharp stick or a rock is better than nothing. I'm sure once she gets used to the 22 she might try other calibers. Just don't be the guy that gives her a 12ga to try and then posts the video on youtube. Then they wonder why she has a thing against guns.

Also I would not think lightly of the 22 round. Anything traveling that fast will kill, just ask all the bunnys and squirrels.

vanillagorilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    central Indy
    Actual, the salesman helped confirm what I wanted. I had to my husband I wanted a 22. He all but laughed at me. But it's what I know and what I felt comfy with since I have not shot a gun in almost 10 years. When we went into the shop, I told the salesman my thoughts, and he agreed with me. You have to buy what you are comfy with, not what you should have. Now next year when it is time to buy a new gun I will get a 9mm or something else, but right now I am comfy with what I bought. He took the time with me to let me hold them all and let me get a feel for them. There was no rush, or pressure. I do not believe anyone can tell anyone what gun to buy. It's about what feels right for that person

Amen and pass the ammo. Just don't be afraid to seek classes or people to shoot with. There is a lot of good information out there but also a lot of self professed experts. Again everyone is different. Not all ways work for everyone. I'm glad you got someone good to help.

Top Bottom