• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Ark, FYI the original GP100 rubber grips with wood inserts are back in production on some models and available for purchase separately; unless you are already aware of them and fit and finish are not as good as the originals. They seem decent in online photos.

I want the same grips on a 4"/4.2" stainless where I can find a decent price on one in good shape from any era. I'd have been lamenting you scoring that GP100 2.5 hours before I saw the ad if it had been stainless!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ark, FYI the original GP100 rubber grips with wood inserts are back in production on some models and available for purchase separately; unless you are already aware of them and fit and finish are not as good as the originals. They seem decent in online photos.

I want the same grips on a 4"/4.2" stainless where I can find a decent price on one in good shape from any era. I'd have been lamenting you scoring that GP100 2.5 hours before I saw the ad if it had been stainless!
    I actually prefer the older Lett Rubber grips with the wood inserts, but I prefer the smaller sized grip...and have them on my GP100's and Alaskan .454!

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I like the GP100 and S&W 686 both are great guns and personal choice is best. I recently pick up a Ruger Security Six 4" stainless and because it is just a tad smaller and lighter weight than a K frame my small hands really like it. Again personal choice, but .357 ruled in the past and still has a great following.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Thats a tough one. I LOVE the GP100's, and have no problem with them at all. But I would have to go with a S&W 66 4". With the right grip, the balance and shootability (for me) is just about the perfect revolver. However, for carry ONLY, my favorite all time carry .357, would still have to be the S&W mod 65 3".

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Thats a tough one. I LOVE the GP100's, and have no problem with them at all. But I would have to go with a S&W 66 4". With the right grip, the balance and shootability (for me) is just about the perfect revolver. However, for carry ONLY, my favorite all time carry .357, would still have to be the S&W mod 65 3".
    I would love to carry a 3" M65, carry it home! Seems it is on a lot of bucket list, so I have begun looking for any 3" K frame.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Live the feel of the security six. I have a 6 inch barrel on mine. Like it for hunting. Would love to get a 4 inch one like i used to have

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I recently saw a Ruger GP100 in 357, 4” I think. I’ve never been much of a wheel gun guy, but this one really caught my eye. My FIL loved revolvers and passed few down to me, one being a Taurus 441 in 44 special. I was already thinking about selling or trading it for the Ruger Gp100. Then I read this thread. Dang it, I may have to really do it now!

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    686 or GP100 in 4"...pick either and be happy!
    Was there a requisite for DA? A Flattop Blackhawk depending upon geography.
    Go all out an get the convertible for a little 9mm fun as well?

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    I’ve got a 6”, no dash and pre lock model 686 in 6” length. Love it. Although I’ve been considering letting it go for a nice 1911or something in 10mm. Who knows

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I know I've already weighed in on this thread and cast my vote for my 3" SP101. I'd still say that gun is my best all-around .357 revolver....the weight, girth, and barrel length are just perfect...but I recently got some new perspective on the 4" medium-frames as well.

I've had a mid '90s vintage 4" GP100 for about 5 years. It's a great gun...just big and heavy. I've wanted a K-Frame for years, and this past week I came across a deal on a 4" Model 66-4 that I just couldn't pass up. So I now have a 4" medium-frame Ruger and a 4" medium-frame Smith from about the same era.

Size-wise, they are almost identical. The Ruger has a full-underlug, while the Smith's is only half, but ultimately only weighs 3oz less than the Ruger.

In the accuracy department they are about identical...both absolute tack drivers, and the limiting factor is definitely the shooter...but both have a knack for making even me look pretty good.

The 66-4s all came with a round butt, and it's still wearing the Uncle Mike's finger-groove grips that came on it from the factory, whereas the GP100 has the factory rubber grips with the wood inserts. The wider backstrap on the Ruger fits my hand better, and provides better recoil abatement at the same time. Being slimmer, the Smith is slightly (but only very slightly) easier to carry.

The DA trigger on the Ruger is clearly smoother and lighter than the Smith's. SA triggers are about the same, with maybe a slight nod to the Ruger. This mirrors my experience with my buddy's Model 19...even he admits that my GP100 has a better trigger than his K-Frame.

Durability I've gotta give to the Ruger as well, on reputation alone, as I've not personally had any problems with either gun. But the GP100's reputation for being able to handle a steady diet of full-house loads without complaint, compared to the K-frame's propensity to crack forcing cones with hot, light magnum loads makes the Ruger a more versatile gun, and I'm less concerned about breaking it with full-house loads.

I hate to say it...all these years of wanting a model 19 or a 66, and now that I have one, I'm beginning to think I had the better gun all along in my GP100!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I know I've already weighed in on this thread and cast my vote for my 3" SP101. I'd still say that gun is my best all-around .357 revolver....the weight, girth, and barrel length are just perfect...but I recently got some new perspective on the 4" medium-frames as well.

I've had a mid '90s vintage 4" GP100 for about 5 years. It's a great gun...just big and heavy. I've wanted a K-Frame for years, and this past week I came across a deal on a 4" Model 66-4 that I just couldn't pass up. So I now have a 4" medium-frame Ruger and a 4" medium-frame Smith from about the same era.

Size-wise, they are almost identical. The Ruger has a full-underlug, while the Smith's is only half, but ultimately only weighs 3oz less than the Ruger.

In the accuracy department they are about identical...both absolute tack drivers, and the limiting factor is definitely the shooter...but both have a knack for making even me look pretty good.

The 66-4s all came with a round butt, and it's still wearing the Uncle Mike's finger-groove grips that came on it from the factory, whereas the GP100 has the factory rubber grips with the wood inserts. The wider backstrap on the Ruger fits my hand better, and provides better recoil abatement at the same time. Being slimmer, the Smith is slightly (but only very slightly) easier to carry.

The DA trigger on the Ruger is clearly smoother and lighter than the Smith's. SA triggers are about the same, with maybe a slight nod to the Ruger. This mirrors my experience with my buddy's Model 19...even he admits that my GP100 has a better trigger than his K-Frame.

Durability I've gotta give to the Ruger as well, on reputation alone, as I've not personally had any problems with either gun. But the GP100's reputation for being able to handle a steady diet of full-house loads without complaint, compared to the K-frame's propensity to crack forcing cones with hot, light magnum loads makes the Ruger a more versatile gun, and I'm less concerned about breaking it with full-house loads.

I hate to say it...all these years of wanting a model 19 or a 66, and now that I have one, I'm beginning to think I had the better gun all along in my GP100!
    The GP100 is more along the size of the 686 L frame. The K frame is a smaller gun.
    The GP100 or L frame will be better for a steady diet of full house loads than the K frame.
    If the Ruger fits your hand better then you need different grips on the 66 There are lots of grips for a K frame that are wider than the uncle mikes grips. That is part of the beauty of a revolver is that grips are available that fit most everyone.
    99% of the time a out of the box Ruger trigger will not be as good as a S&W trigger.
    Your GP100 may have different springs in it vs a stock S&W.
    You can't really compare triggers on used guns because who knows what has been done to them by past owners.
    Both the Ruger and Smith are fine firearms. Enjoy them.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The K frame is a smaller gun.

Yes it certainly is, but not by enough to really matter much in a practical sense. If bulk is a concern with a GP100, I wouldn't go out and buy a K-Frame of the same barrel length...it won't solve your problem. I'd be looking at an SP101 or a J-Frame if I needed something smaller.

I am looking for some different grips for the 66. I'd love to find some wood target grips, but being a round butt makes that a little harder. Factory ones are discontinued and unobtainable, and insanely expensive if you can find them. Altamont makes conversion grips, but they're out of stock right now on the ones I want, and the last set I bought from them, while very well made, were too blocky for my liking and I had to spend a bunch of time re-contouring them, and then refinish them. I'm tempted to ask them if they'd sell me a set of unfinished machined panels so I can do the final fitting myself.

It is possible my GP100 was resprung before I owned it, but if it was it was done right. I've never had any light strikes or other reliability issues with that gun. I've found that a simple polish of the mainspring strut will usually smooth up any roughness in a Ruger trigger...and it's very safe and simple to do, without having to worry about messing up any sear/hammer/trigger engagement surfaces. Smiths are a little more involved.

I agree, they're both great guns, and that as a general rule my NIB Smiths have been a little smoother than my NIB Rugers. But the potential exists in the Ruger design to produce a very smooth action.

Top Bottom