• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Well sounds like you have your answer. Stainless steel, 3-6" barrel, probably at least 4" if you are going to hunt at all. Ruger or Smith. I wish Smith would get the message they would sell way more revolvers if they got rid of the lock.
    I have two Smith J frames that are great for carry, but my 6" GP is my do it all gun.
    And if it is for life to do it all you really want a .357 carbine to accompany it :)

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have two S&W Model 66's, one 4" and one 2" and I love them both, but this one is my favorite.

View attachment 138120

It's a Manurhin MR73, and yes it's well worn, but the surfaces of the metal are smooth as glass. IMHO it's one of the finest revolvers in the world. The adjustable trigger is amazing.

From Wikipedia:
    "Every MR 73 is match grade accurate, shipped with its own factory test target fired at 25 m (27.3 yd). Averaging 15 rounds, no group over 20 mm (0.79 in) diameter with selected ammunition is allowed.

The MR 73 has an adjustable trigger weight in both double-action and single-action modes, a feature found in other high-end revolvers such as Korth and Janz. These adjustments do not alter the strength of the main spring, ensuring reliable primer ignition. This is due to the use of roller bearings in the trigger mechanism along with extensive hand fitting and polishing of components during assembly. The MR73 requires more than 12 hours of hand-fitting at the factory, making it about 50% more expensive than competing U.S.-manufactured brands.[3]"

Got to handle one of the Beretta versions of the 73 today. Could have shot it if I had any ammo of that caliber with me.
    Nice well made gun with great fit and finish. Trigger was ok but nowhere near as nice as my tuned S&W. Could buy 3 or 4 S&W's for the $3300 MSRP. Rep said they are doing a feasibility study on a 8 shot version.
    Felt ok in hand but couldn't get my grip high enough with the beavertail. But can't really say without shooting it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got to handle one of the Beretta versions of the 73 today. Could have shot it if I had any ammo of that caliber with me.
    Nice well made gun with great fit and finish. Trigger was ok but nowhere near as nice as my tuned S&W. Could buy 3 or 4 S&W's for the $3300 MSRP. Rep said they are doing a feasibility study on a 8 shot version.
    Felt ok in hand but couldn't get my grip high enough with the beavertail. But can't really say without shooting it.
    I wonder how the Beretta version compares to the original. It would be interesting to try them side by side. And I didn't pay anywhere near that MSRP for my used original. Ouch!

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I’ve had my Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 4” for many years now... I’ve no idea how much ammo I’ve put through it. I’ve never adjusted the sights on it. Shot POA from day one. I’d hunt or go to war with it. It will be here longer than I will.

rwilky78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2016
    Kendallville
    I’ve had my Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 4” for many years now... I’ve no idea how much ammo I’ve put through it. I’ve never adjusted the sights on it. Shot POA from day one. I’d hunt or go to war with it. It will be here longer than I will.
    I'll second that. Mine is the exact same way and very fun to shoot.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    If I had to pick one do it all built for life revolver in 357 magnum it would be a Ruger GP 100 stainless 4" barrel. Built like a tank.

View attachment 138104
    Came here to suggest this. I have one with a wolff spring kit in it (I've had complete reliability on many primers and brands, but extensive testing is always necessary to ensure complete reliability in your particular weapon) and a complete polish tune up. Slap some decent grips of your choice and it's hard to stop shooting even when the ammo supply is dry.
    A 4" barrel is important as 357, whichever manufacturer you choose, gains a lot when moving from 2" - 4" of barrel. We can play with reloads, burn rates, and pressures; at the end of the day 357 will always shine with a 3" or greater barrel and the 4" provides a decent sight radius that is quite similar to most full size semi autos without feeling like the Nicholson version of the joker pulling a three foot barrel with both hands.
    I love my DW pistol pack; the 8" is a marvelous target/hunting pistol, but that particular barrel may be a touch much for conceal carry in polite company.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My personal choice for a .357 revolver is Korth. Specifically, this one -

Korth Mongoose

For a more modern take on the same thing, I would go with this version -

Korth Ranger

I won't get a .357mag, tho. Long time ago, I went .327FM, and have stuck with that. My favorite is the Ruger Single Seven, and my carry is the SP-101.
    I have read about these & formally didn't even know they existed.
    Wow!
    & the price: WOW!!!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I've always thought of the 686 as the paragon of .357 revolver technology.

Agreed. 686+ is just extra awesome.
    My 3" TALO with the wife's Mag Pug. Nothing beats a K/L frame S&W.
    1a696cf3f87d2e892a7a6d3319a70aba.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hmmm, what an interesting time for this thread to resurface...

MAcgjv9.jpg

Special thanks to a certain INGOer for dropping this guy in the classifieds when I happened to be looking. 2014 manufacture, 4.2" barrel, Hogue grip, blued.

Overbuilt is freakin' right. Way more meat between the cylinders than my Model 10. Even chunkier than my long gone EAA Windicator, which was the last time I owned anything in .357. Love the stainless hammer and trigger against the black. Some blaze orange on the front sight would be nice, and I may see if I can track down a secondhand wood and rubber Ruger grip because I think those look awesome.

Now what I'd really like to find is a mid-ride leather holster with a thumb break and a little bit of standoff, like the old prison guard duty holster that came with my Model 10. This guy's gonna see hiking AND 2-gun duty.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I miss the Ruger Security Six I traded away.
    My 4" stainless Security Six is staying. Over the years, I've gotten rid of a Mdl. 19 and a 66 snubbie that I wish I had back. I gave my Colt Trooper Mk. iii to my nephew and it was the prettiest gun I ever had but I never shot it well. Looks like I need to buy some more .357s.

Top Bottom