• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Hey all, probably a stupid question here, but I'm curious - I normally just reload .223, but am going to expand to 9mm as soon as I can get the die set. With reloading components being very scarce, I'm starting to look at some of these lead cast bullets. Now, my Glock owner's manual states to never use lead cast bullets with it. Is this because of the Glock marksman barrel rifling or something? Does a coated lead cast bullet work better? Any thoughts or info appreciated.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    The Blue Bullets are good to go.

Gen 4 glocks and before are the ones with the rifling that’s causes concern with bare lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have shot ACME, and Hoosier bullets at Jacketed speeds with no problems. 44 magnum 180gr 1736 fps, 10mm 180gr 1150 fps, 9mm 124gr 1050 fps. All cleaned up with very little effort.

10mm is out of a factory Glock barrel.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    I had all Gen 4's and bought SS match barrels for all coated and lead bullets. Aftermarket barrels are cheaper than ever and readily available.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've put a pile coated cast lead bullets through factory Gen 4 barrels. A few hundered through Gen 5 barrels, so far so good.

Rarely a leading issue, unless I do it to myself with a crimp that breaks the coating or stripping coating during loading.

Obviously, you'll want to keep an eye on your barrel for leading more often than when shooting metal jacketed.

I did have my G43 barrel get pretty leaded up during a steel match once. Couldn't figure why my accuracy went to hell and I couldn't hit anything? :dunno: I'm still here, it came clean and I adapted my loading procedure to make sure not to strip coating. I check the barrel a little more often also.

Bullet sizing diameter could make a difererence also. Most factory jacketed and coated are sold as .356 dia. At the same time a lot of casters size to .357. The theory/practice being the tight to bore boolit will not allow gas to seep by and cut or melt the lead. You need to slug your barrel to be positive on the diameter you can get away with.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    The Blue Bullets are sized to .355 after they are coated. There is no need to over size coated lead bullets if using quality hard lead and quality coating.

There is a definite downside to over sizing. It makes your rate of rejects in case gauging go up.

I primarily run 40 in a 2011 and case gauge with a hundo gauge. With The Blue Bullets sized to .400 I average a reject every 250 rounds. Usually brass related. With .401 bullets I see 6-8 rejects per 100.

c1bd6a0d17d7f651b2ab5de01a800190.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought some berry's supposed to have been .358 diameter they were 356 so I used them for my 9mm. They were 125gr FN. They made great paper punchers and I think my barrel liked the 356 size bullets better than the 355.

Top Bottom