• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have fired thousands of the Lee 255 gr FN bullets from my 45 Colts. They work fine. I even use the liquid alox lube, less is better. To me it is easier/faster than using a lube/sizer. True it is messy but there are ways of dealing with it. Handgun ammo is fired in a lot more volume than rifle ammo so easier to make is better. The alox works well considering the bullet only travels a few inches and leaves the barrel in milliseconds.

Same for the Lee 45 ACP 230 gr RN.

Don

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    ru44mag, I follow the Elvis Ammo youtube channel. That's really what convinced me that I would powder coat if I do get into bullet casting. Thanks for the tip. He was doing a series on making priming compound, but I never saw a conclusion. Anyone know what happened to that? I figure youtube probably made him stop that one.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Here it is a year later and I'm just now posting a follow up, sorry about that. As everyone predicted, casting is addictive! I now have 4 of the Lee 6 cavity molds and 1 of the 2 cavity. And I'm looking to get some more. I have began hunting for and hording lead (have about 400 pounds now). I don't have near the nice setups some others posted, but have the Lee bottom pour melting pot, hot plate, cast iron dutch oven for smelting, and a small toaster oven for powder coating.

I haven't been able to do much shooting over the last year, but I have several hundred bullets cast and ready to load. Hopefully I can find more time to load some up and do more shooting this year!

44blam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2023
    Nashville
    I like three companies quite a bit:
    1) Accurate Molds: https://www.accuratemolds.com/ They will do a lot of customization for you. You can have them make a mold with no lube groves if you PC, etc.
    2) Noe Molds: https://noebulletmolds.com/ They're molds are top notch and many come with flat/cup/hollow point pins.
    3) MP Molds: https://www.mp-molds.com/ These molds are AWESOME. And they are somehow super fast at shipping.

As far as cavity # - ALWAYS go with as many as possible. You can drop a lot more boolits with a 6 cavity mold than a 2 cavity mold...

Top Bottom