• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    I've been thinking about getting into bullet casting and could use some guidance. I'd likely be casting for 45 acp, 45 colt, 44 mag, 357 mag, and 9mm. I think I would also powder coat.

I've been looking at Lee molds, but not sure if I should start out with 2 cavity or jump straight to 6 cavity? I'm also thinking I can use the same bullets for the 45 acp (1911) and 45 colt (revolver and lever action) if I go with the right mold and sizing dies? I'm eyeballing the Lee TL452-230-TC, would that work? Same thing with 357 mag (revolver) and 9mm (semi autos)? I'm thinking about the Lee 358-125-RF for that. Then the appropriate sizing dies to size for 358 and 356?

Any bullet casters out there that can give a newbie caster some guidance? Thanks!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not sure what you will be shooting, but that bullet really doesn't have a good spot for a crimp if you have a tube fed rifle to go with your revolvers, otherwise it's OK. I've used the 358 125 RF in 9mm for a long time, in a lot of guns. Some autos I've had to adjust length because the bullet shoulder can engage the lands before the gun goes into battery.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Do yourself a favor and skip the Lee molds. It's not the quality of the molds as much as it's the reliability of the bullets they produce as in feeding in my handguns. When I started buying quality molds a lot of problems went away. I mainly stick with NOE or Lyman molds with good success.

boatswainsmate

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2014
    Howard County
    If your just wanting to start learning I would suggest a quality steel mold to start with since there more forgiving if you overheat them with to fast of a casting pace. Start with reading this. http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm If your wanting to powder coat make sure you get a oven thermometer to make sure your oven temp is correct. It will save you allot of grieve! If your just starting out with sizing and plan to expand the number of sizes I would suggest starting with NOE's https://noebulletmolds.com/site/pro...-through-size-die/push-through-size-die-body/. I've only purchased powder coat from smoke on the castboolits forum and I highly recommend his powder. Your big challenge will be sourcing good lead without paying a fortune. Good Luck. Be aware casting becomes addictive!

Attachments

• Lyman 452423 finished.JPG
      Lyman 452423 finished.JPG
      516.3 KB · Views: 30
    • Snow Day.JPG
      Snow Day.JPG
      381.3 KB · Views: 30

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    If your just wanting to start learning I would suggest a quality steel mold to start with since there more forgiving if you overheat them with to fast of a casting pace. Start with reading this. http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm If your wanting to powder coat make sure you get a oven thermometer to make sure your oven temp is correct. It will save you allot of grieve! If your just starting out with sizing and plan to expand the number of sizes I would suggest starting with NOE's https://noebulletmolds.com/site/pro...-through-size-die/push-through-size-die-body/. I've only purchased powder coat from smoke on the castboolits forum and I highly recommend his powder. Your big challenge will be sourcing good lead without paying a fortune. Good Luck. Be aware casting becomes addictive!
    Very Nice Setup!

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Thanks for that Fryxell link boatswainsmate, looks like I have a lot of reading to do there! I have been spending a lot of time reading over at castboolits as well, but haven't signed up over there yet.

I've been looking for molds by bullet shape and weight and that is why I zoned in on those Lee molds. The fact that they are less expensive certainly helps since I'm just starting out. I'm really just trying to get started and learn something new, I may love it or hate it.

I live in the boonies, somewhat near Jasper Indiana (where I work) and the closest place that carries much reloading stuff is almost an hour drive away. The more self sufficient I can be the better. I have my home shooting range set up so i can hopefully recover some of my lead, the rest I'll have to get from scrap or buy online.

cz75b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Michigan City
    You will enjoy casting. If you pay attention to instructions and have a style where consistency is important you will succeed. I’d say go ahead and start with a Lee double cavity to get used to the casting process. Lee makes great molds for the money. The best advice is to find someone experienced in casting and ask for a lesson or two. These days finding alloy is a little trickier than the past but totally possible. Yes, steel or higher end aluminum molds are great but at five times plus the cost of Lee they should be better. A bottom pour furnace from Lee is a great deal as well. I preheat my molds on the furnace while it’s heating up. Figure out your sizing and lubing options too. You are not going to save any money though. You’ll see…..

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Personally, I’ve found the Lee molds pretty good for my purposes.

Definitely get the 6 slot molds for high volume pistol calibers. It may not seem like much difference between 2 and 6, but when you are doing thousand round casting sessions, that extra speed really shines. Even the custom molds I get for some of my obsolete calibers, I’ll go for the 5 or 6 slot molds (like from Accurate Molds).

Once you get them heated up, you’ll crank them out in no time.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Personally, I’ve found the Lee molds pretty good for my purposes.

Definitely get the 6 slot molds for high volume pistol calibers. It may not seem like much difference between 2 and 6, but when you are doing thousand round casting sessions, that extra speed really shines. Even the custom molds I get for some of my obsolete calibers, I’ll go for the 5 or 6 slot molds (like from Accurate Molds).

Once you get them heated up, you’ll crank them out in no time.
    ^^^+100
    I am NOT a Lee tools FanBoy at ALL...Very few of my dies come from Lee.
    I have cast many great projectiles on Lee molds. For handgun calibers get the 6 hole Lee molds=They work for me, and I generally do NOT like Lee products...Bill.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have fired many thousands of bullets cast from Lee molds. They work fine for any caliber.
    I have lots of different molds, even some custom molds that cost 100+ $. The key is to get the proper diameter and nose shape for the firearm you are using.

Much fun at a cheap price. I couldn't afford to shoot some calibers like my 458 Winchester Magnum if I had to buy ammo.

Don

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Lee molds are decent, especially for the price and the fact that the smaller ones come with handles. My biggest gripe against Lee bullet designs are that they have very small lube grooves. Probably influenced by them selling liquid Alox to lube with. If you are powder coating lube grooves don’t matter. I have found their Six cavity molds to be of better quality and will definitely give you more ‘bang for your buck’. I have shot a good number of their .452, 200gr RNFP out of both .45 acp autos and six guns and .45 Colt and .45 S&W loads. It feeds well and shoots pretty well for me. Not having a crimp groove on the bullets designed for autos is a bit of an issue. If your bullets are fairly soft, your Case will crimp right into the lead. If you aren’t shooting heavy recoiling loads it’s more a huge issue.

I will heartily recommend Arsenal Molds. I just received my second mold from them and they are high quality and reasonable priced. I have a lot of old cast iron molds from Ideal, Lyman, and RCBS and was looking for a 400-ish gr mold for my .45/70. I’ve bought a lot of molds off of eBay. You can barely find a double cavity mold on there now for under a hundred bucks. I found Arsenal and they sell aluminum five cavity molds for $88. They are very high quality and cast wonderfully. They use Lee Large handles.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. There is a local gun show this weekend that I hope I might find some molds or equipment at, we will see.

I'm really struggling to pick out which bullet profiles to go with. I think 230 grain is the most common for 45 acp, while 250 is typical of 45 colt. That's why I was leaning toward that 230 grain Lee mold for those. I like 124's for my 9mm's, but that's a little light for 357 mag. I'm thinking bullet profile is less important for revolvers than for auto loaders, so I should probably pick something better for the auto's to start out with. I still just don't feel like I know enough about this stuff to make good decisions, so I'm dragging my feet on jumping in. I appreciate all the feedback though, the info you are providing is very helpful.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. There is a local gun show this weekend that I hope I might find some molds or equipment at, we will see.

I'm really struggling to pick out which bullet profiles to go with. I think 230 grain is the most common for 45 acp, while 250 is typical of 45 colt. That's why I was leaning toward that 230 grain Lee mold for those. I like 124's for my 9mm's, but that's a little light for 357 mag. I'm thinking bullet profile is less important for revolvers than for auto loaders, so I should probably pick something better for the auto's to start out with. I still just don't feel like I know enough about this stuff to make good decisions, so I'm dragging my feet on jumping in. I appreciate all the feedback though, the info you are providing is very helpful.
    You’re right about the 45 bullet weights. 200 is a little light for 45 colt, but for plinking loads it’s fine. I have a couple 200 gr SWC molts but don’t have the best luck with them in my acp autos even though the are considered standard target bullets for that use. The 200gr round nose flat point feeds fine and slips into revolver chambers like butter! If you want a great bullet for the 45 colt, it’s hard to beat the old 454424. I love it and have three different molds for it. Thee are other ‘close to Keith’s’ out thee but if you can have the original, any settle?
    125 is kind of the standard for hot JHP loads in the 357, but if you are looking for more plinking level and field loads, a 158-175 gr bullet works very well too. I have some heavier molds too, up to about a 195. It shoots great out of my lever actions and gives good accuracy and great power with warmer loads. I do have a Lee Sox cavity 158 rnfp that shoots well in my various 38’s and 357’s. but It’s too heavy for 9mm loads.

if you find a decent price on a Lee mold, don’t feel bad about trying it out. Keep your eyes open on eBay and you may find a deal every once in awhile. If you see a mold number you’re not sure of a quick google search will generally turn up a picture of it and you can decide if it’s right for you. You’ll quickly get to where you recognize certain, popular mold numbers like 148gr full wadcutter that you may or may not be interested in!

Top Bottom