• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Also, I got my new Redhead steering box in, so that got mounted up.
    Then I started in on the front fenders. Same as rear, I'm using trailer fenders. Of course the fronts aren't as simple as just plain old round arches... I got flat top ones then made pie cuts in the edges so they could be bent out. Looks like they'll work out pretty well. Went by the local print shop in the next town the other day, and picked up the stickers that will be the flags for the front bumper. They will be rigid, on steel poles at each corner. I've had front mounted flags before on my car and decided against it again, as they sometimes blow sideways at stoplights blocking my view. These will be rigid, (stickers on steel) and always "blowing" towards the rear.

15a.jpg 15f.jpg 15g.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Did a bit of work on the winch plate today. Wanted the winch low, between the frame rails, behind the front bumper. On an old CJ... that means pushing out the front bumper a few inches. There will be another mount on top for the hole in the top of the frame rail, and another one of those big 3/4" through bolts (each side) where I'm pinching the frame.

15m.JPG 15n.JPG 15o.JPG 15p.JPG 15q.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Mounted the finished front bumper yesterday. Still have a couple more holes to drill, and paint of course, but it's starting to look like something. The flags are removable, and I'll only run them occasionally. I have reflective stickers made for each. An American flag for one, and an L Troop 3/2 Cav guidon for the other to match up with the bumper numbers I'm using. (VII 2-CAV L-27) This is to represent the very first tank I was ever assigned to at the very first unit I was ever assigned to way back in 1981...

Posed shot.jpg

Yeah, that's me in the driver's hatch... lol.

This will be my "27" now.

15r.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Also did some work on the windshield wipers. The 5 ton wipers are WAY too long for the narrowed and chopped deuce windshield, and had to be shortened, so I used the ends of the CJ7 wipers to do it. This also gets me the ability to use somewhat modern wiper blades.

15s.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    On tonight's instalment of build a CJ7 in your garage... we install the running boards.
    Wait... They don't make running boards for CJ7s, just body armor.
    Well, if you're a fat old retired cripple, you're gonna need a way to get up in the thing.

15t.JPG

Measure twice... cut (or drill) once. As you can see by the markings, I caught myself just in time.
    As you can see, I also didn't make sure to have enough of the right size bolts before starting.
    Then I waited til the hardware store was closed before figuring that out...

15u.JPG

Underneath, they go to the body mounts like the ones you can buy.
    Oh, that "Measure twice... cut once" thing? Yeah I wasn't thinking about that when I had the welder fab these up for me. I have to move 2 of the body mounts for the YJ tub, so those 2 are off... lol. More welding to follow I guess. Well, they have to come back off for paint anyhow.

15v.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm gonna be needing a bit more to make this a user friendly vehicle as a daily driver for an old cripple, so I took a folding step and mounted it to the driver's side running board. It fold down, and pins in place for me to climb in, then up and out of the way when not needed. Normally these are found on the front bumper of an M54 5 ton truck to allow troops to climb up and perform engine maintenance. Also fabbed up a mount for the 20mm ammo can center console.

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

15y.JPG

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    That...is...cool!

(Youngster, the oldest tank I ever piloted or gunned was an M48-A5)
    When I was in Germany in L Troop, and was in the M60A3, our "sister unit" (123rd Panzer Bde) had the A5s. Not sure if they had Mogas engine vs diesel, but damn those things sounded like hot rods.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When I was in Germany in L Troop, and was in the M60A3, our "sister unit" (123rd Panzer Bde) had the A5s. Not sure if they had Mogas engine vs diesel, but damn those things sounded like hot rods.
    The A-5's were diesel the A-3's had the 90mm gun the A-5's got basically the M-60 turret with the 105mm gun. The one we used at Ft. Irwin had a really tight fire control system and I could hit a gnats ass at 2 klicks. We did have issues with the torsion bar suspension system while we were there that led to the only time I was fired upon by an aircraft...an F-105D (two actually), we shot back and surprised the hell out of them that we weren't a target.

Also...that thing could run. We had what we later called the Ft Irwin 500 where we basically ran a full company balls out to see who could get down range first. Maybe that's why we had issues with the torsion bars later...who cares it was fun and we won.

When I was at the Ropkey Armor Museum a few years ago I got to hear the Col(RIP) fire up a gasser and that was a hot rod experience.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've managed to get a few things done over the last week. I know, it seems to jump around like I'm working with out a plan. That's only because I'm not. I go out to the garage, and it's what can I do (or do I feel like doing) today?

I managed to change over from the JY strikers to the CJ ones, and check to make sure the doors will work. They do. The fit isn't 100% perfect, but they open, and close. The fun part will be making everything work with the top...

Also painted the inside of the tub then mounted the 20mm ammo can that will serve as the center console. 2 bolts to a bracket I made, and 2 more at the rear through the floor. I can still cram stuff under it if I want, and I most likely will.

Holly sniper fuel pump with filters got mounted to the frame in preparation for the running of fuel lines, and wiring harness.

16a.PNG 16b.JPG 16c.JPG 16d.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Then I decided to jump into the wiring harness. Just tired of looking at the box sitting there on the shelf I guess.
    Sure hope I don't run out of Amazon zip-ties... lol. Need a new grommet for the rear of the tub though Tried to use the firewall one Painless includes for the older model Jeeps... different size.

16e.JPG 16f.JPG 16g.JPG 16h.JPG 16i.JPG 16j.JPG

16k.JPG

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I believe it a measure of the tension applied to the zip ties, too much and snap…
    This. I learned the hard way. I can’t imagine how monstrous the zip ties are for using the 120 head. Yikes.

When the 50 is dialed in, it’s awesome. Perfectly cinched and flush cut every time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yesterday evening I mentioned to my wife that it was a restful day. She laughed at my idea of "restful".

I cleaned up my workbench
    I worked on rebuilding my utility trailer
    Picked up 3 bags of sticks in the yard
    Pulled some weeds
    Sharpened the lawn mower blade
    Cut the grass
    Made Easter dinner for my mom(Beef short ribs-great!)

Top Bottom