• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Want to try a reflex on my pistol and wondering what’s a good budget optic to try out before I sink hundreds into a trijicon or aimpoint.

Thanks! Pistol is a go VP9L. Not sure what plate is on it? New to this aspect of pistols.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Do you have an optics plate for it? HK makes various plates for different optics footprints:

Here is a great site that tells you which optics share which footprints:

Check out this youtube channel for red dot reviews:

He does not baby them.

check out AA Optics (a site sponsor here and very good rep) for good prices on refurbishes Vortex red dots:

Swampfox Optics and Holosun are good quality at decent prices, but are made in China.

Like most things in shooting, it depends what you intend to use it for, and you will always spend more than you intend to.

If this is a firearm for self-defense I recommend an optic with auto on.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Is this a range gun or an EDC pistol? There are many more options if it's just a range toy. There are fewer brands of optics one might consider rugged enough to be trusted for use on a carry gun.

Aaron Cowan is likely the premier test and evaluation guy when it comes to red dots on handguns. He's pretty much tried them all and given input to manufacturers on design and features for more than a few of them. He has a white paper on his website that he updates regularly with results.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Is this a range gun or an EDC pistol? There are many more options if it's just a range toy. There are fewer brands of optics one might consider rugged enough to be trusted for use on a carry gun.

Aaron Cowan is likely the premier test and evaluation guy when it comes to red dots on handguns. He's pretty much tried them all and given input to manufacturers on design and features for more than a few of them. He has a white paper on his website that he updates regularly with results.

Range gun for now maybe get into amateur comp down the road but just wanna try one out for now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The conundrum you get into buying a "budget" pistol optic is that it likely will be throw away money invested. If you find you like RDS, you'll likely want to upgrade. If you don't warm to RDS, you are limited on reselling your cheap no or lesser name brand optic.

I'd look for a good deal on a middle ground optic. Some sort of big sale and/or a clearance of a well known RDS brand? Maybe even better yet, put a WTB in the classifieds and see what turns up. Do your research when you see what does. FYI - Recognizable name brands, that sell a lot of RDS, are going to have the most reviews and online forum support.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Holosun 507C Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield regularly has them in stock for roughly $270~ sticker price. Call ahead to make sure they have them in stock, don't usually last long.

If you look at the white paper the 507 is the obvious choice here for best of budget and reliability IMHO.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Want to try a reflex on my pistol and wondering what’s a good budget optic to try out before I sink hundreds into a trijicon or aimpoint.

Thanks! Pistol is a go VP9L. Not sure what plate is on it? New to this aspect of pistols.
    If you have $300 for one. Check this one out.
    Thread 'Swampfox Kraken new MRDS coming out soon.' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/swampfox-kraken-new-mrds-coming-out-soon.523943/

It's out now.

If you are LEO, EMT, Military, Veteran
    You can get it for $267.71 shipped to your door.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    If you have $300 for one. Check this one out.
    Thread 'Swampfox Kraken new MRDS coming out soon.' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/swampfox-kraken-new-mrds-coming-out-soon.523943/

It's out now.

If you are LEO, EMT, Military, Veteran
    You can get it for $267.71 shipped to your door.
    I am a vet so that’s nice savings. It’s a thick optic! I could run that on my scorpion lol. Thanks for the heads up man! Next month check looks like it’s already gonna be gone haha

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I am a vet so that’s nice savings. It’s a thick optic! I could run that on my scorpion lol. Thanks for the heads up man! Next month check looks like it’s already gonna be gone haha

This is the link to sign up.
    It took about two days.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Here's another excellent option if you can order during this closeout sale,.....

Exact same sight as the 507C except that it doesn't have a selectable reticle,......it's a red 8moa circle only. Same size, same quality, same RMR footprint, but doesn't have the 2moa dot with 32moa circle. A 2moa dot on a handgun is kinda silly imho and the 32moa circle with 90 degree hash marks is way too busy. I don't know anyone who can shoot into a 1/2" at 25yds which is what a 2moa dot covers at 25,.......I struggle to hold 8moa(AKA 2"@25).

My favorite sight is the 507C with the ACSS Vulcan reticle, preferably in green. That's a very interesting reticle and I doubt anyone will ever improve on it. 10moa chevron that picks up quick but still has a fine sighting point, surrounded by a huge-by-large 200moa circle. You don't even see the outer circle if you're on the chevron when presenting the gun, but if you're NOT on the chevron you WILL see enough of the outer circle to instantly know which way to adjust. Kinda like backup witness iron sights but quicker since you don't have to shift your eye focus from reticle to irons and back again.

I've been picking up the ACSS sights as fast as I can and mounting them on everything but couldn't pass up the PSA deal on a couple of the 407COs. When I put them in the basket PSA threw an additional 5% coupon at me so the pair was $375 shipped. Can't buy an RMR for that and frankly, with the bottom mounted battery and having to resight after a battery change,.....you couldn't give me an RMR. Trij is two generations behind the curve on dots.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I have trijicons on my handguns but, the holosuns are about as budget as I’d go. The 507 or 407 line might be what you are looking for. I believe they are in the low $200s

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Just got those two Holosun 8moa circles in and yeah, they're gonna work. My astigmatism usually causes me problems with red dots which is why I prefer the green, but these circles are large enough that I can turn the brightness down to where they don't flare and I can still pick them up easily. I think these are the best deal going right now for a quality sight at a bargain price.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    You can get the RMRcc for $400-$100 rebate for $300 here:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My favorite sight is the 507C with the ACSS Vulcan reticle, preferably in green. That's a very interesting reticle and I doubt anyone will ever improve on it.
    I have the ACSS Vulcan on my EDC and like it a lot. I would personally love to see one with a 6 MOA chevron instead of 10. I think that would be an improvement for closer self-defense type shooting, but that's a minor matter of personal preference. I understand the marketing angle that the 10 MOA gives them. (Just put the bottom of the chevron on the top of the target to make hits at 100 yards.)

I think it's kind of a gimmick if you know your holdovers, but I get it.

Top Bottom