• ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You can get the RMRcc for $400-$100 rebate for $300 here:

Because Trijicon cannot give them away, huge hit and miss IMHO. I would not buy one at $250 , bottom mount battery , proprietary footprint and the adjustments are rather large to boot.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Is this a range gun or an EDC pistol? There are many more options if it's just a range toy. There are fewer brands of optics one might consider rugged enough to be trusted for use on a carry gun.

Aaron Cowan is likely the premier test and evaluation guy when it comes to red dots on handguns. He's pretty much tried them all and given input to manufacturers on design and features for more than a few of them. He has a white paper on his website that he updates regularly with results.

Aaron is THE best tester there is out there. Trijicon RMR is tried and true, adjustable LED Type 2 is the best. SRO is awesome, but I’m sure as you saw it failed the drop test. Still great for a range gun. Wouldn’t carry for duty use or self defense.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I love my triji SRO and RMR but they do hurt the wallet a bit. Ive heard some good things about holosun, just fighting myself with the made in china part.

Same. I bought a cheap Primary Arms red dot for my handgun to test the waters (knowing its made in china and will end up on another gun eventually). I want to upgrade to an Aimpoint Acro P2, but am having a hard time not getting the Holosun 509T instead. The only real thing holding me back is the made in China part.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Same. I bought a cheap Primary Arms red dot for my handgun to test the waters (knowing its made in china and will end up on another gun eventually). I want to upgrade to an Aimpoint Acro P2, but am having a hard time not getting the Holosun 509T instead. The only real thing holding me back is the made in China part.
    Honestly the 509T is a tank and Holosun's customer service is to notch. The only advantage of an ACRO is the tunnel length to window area. The 509T gets you multiple reticles.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are the enclosed dots better than the "open" style? What are the benefits?

I have the open style and have never had any issues with them.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Are the enclosed dots better than the "open" style? What are the benefits?

I have the open style and have never had any issues with them.

Being a novice to red dots (and because my employer is pretty committed to going to them next year), I've been doing a lot of research and talking to instructors and other departments that have been using them. Pretty much everyone has said that in inclement weather, they've had water or other debris block the emitter at one time or another. Most people that have shot in the rain have told me water gets in the low area on the back of the optic and causes the light to "prism", creating multiple moving dots on the glass. A few others I've talked to have had snow or sand/dirt get in the way and block the emitter completely. It's an issue that has potential to be a problem in any open emitter optic and for that reason I've only been interested in closed emitter options (which vastly narrows the candidates).

I've tested putting small amounts of debris on my PA red dot and it completely blocks the emitter. I haven't tried dropping water on it yet, but might tomorrow now that I'm thinking about it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Being a novice to red dots (and because my employer is pretty committed to going to them next year), I've been doing a lot of research and talking to instructors and other departments that have been using them. Pretty much everyone has said that in inclement weather, they've had water or other debris block the emitter at one time or another. Most people that have shot in the rain have told me water gets in the low area on the back of the optic and causes the light to "prism", creating multiple moving dots on the glass. A few others I've talked to have had snow or sand/dirt get in the way and block the emitter completely. It's an issue that has potential to be a problem in any open emitter optic and for that reason I've only been interested in closed emitter options (which vastly narrows the candidates).

I've tested putting small amounts of debris on my PA red dot and it completely blocks the emitter. I haven't tried dropping water on it yet, but might tomorrow now that I'm thinking about it.
    Sounds like you definitely need an enclosed emitter.
    Actually that's probably the way to go for a duty, or edc firearm just in case you are rolling in mud, snow, or some other weird senario.

Top Bottom