• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zac3500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Hobart
    Looking for information about different rifles in my price range of around 800. I’ve been looking at a savage 110 desert tactical. Are there any other rifles you can recommend that in your opinion are as good or better than that rifle. Please give me suggestions and pros/cons.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Just checked out the Desert Tactical, that is a sweet rifle at that price. The Ruger American Hunter looks good, if it shoots like the Ruger Precision Rifles, than well worth the price and it has a threaded muzzle 18" or brake mounted 20". If the budget could be bumped up, I really recommend the Ruger Precision. Normally I would say grab a used one, but right now it seems private sellers have really skyrocketed their prices despite Precisions still sitting in every store I walk into for $1300.

Also worth checking out:
    Remington 700 PCR (I worry about recommending with their recent history)
    Mossberg MVP ( It seemed to be good in the American Riflemen Review, but no personal experience. Article MSRP is a lot higher than what this rifle actually sells for.)

Two slightly above $800:
    Howa M1500 Bravo
    Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Just a suggestion but you might wish to take a look at the Savage 10FCP SR its under $700 and I own a 10FCP model in 308 with the heavy 24" 5R barrel Accustock and Accutrigger and no BS it shoots astonishingly well all out of proportion to its cost with just with plane Jane blue box Federal Power Shock ammo both 150 and 180
    I'm taking single hole 100 and 200 yard 5 shot groups good. Can not wait to see what it does with Lapua Brass IMR 4064 and 175 SMK
    Was in the same boat as you looking to get a dedicated long range rig was going to buy the Ruger RPR but the +/- $1k price tag kept me from doing so when the 10FCP popped up at Gunbroker 4-5 years ago for under $550 TMD with S&H&FFL XFR fees I couldn't pass it up.
    And unlike a RPR which would likely be to heavy, my Savage 10FCP in a pinch will work as a hunting rig as well.
    Just a suggestion if you're on a tight budget as I was andcare and best bang for your buck is your goal.
    Now I'm trying to get the $1k-$1.3k together for optics base and rings for scope to take me past 300 yards and out to 1k

Last edited:

Zac3500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Hobart
    Just a suggestion but you might wish to take a look at the Savage 10FCP SR its under $700 and I own a 10FCP model in 308 with the heavy 24" 5R barrel Accustock and Accutrigger and no BS it shoots astonishingly well all out of proportion to its cost with just with plane Jane blue box Federal Power Shock ammo both 150 and 180
    I'm taking single hole 100 and 200 yard 5 shot groups good. Can not wait to see what it does with Lapua Brass IMR 4064 and 175 SMK
    Was in the same boat as you looking to get a dedicated long range rig was going to buy the Ruger RPR but the +/- $1k price tag kept me from doing so when the 10FCP popped up at Gunbroker 4-5 years ago for under $550 TMD with S&H&FFL XFR fees I couldn't pass it up.
    And unlike a RPR which would likely be to heavy, my Savage 10FCP in a pinch will work as a hunting rig as well.
    Just a suggestion if you're on a tight budget as I was andcare and best bang for your buck is your goal.
    Now I'm trying to get the $1k-$1.3k together for optics base and rings for scope to take me past 300 yards and out to 1k
    I’ll definitely give that model a look I’ve been looking at different model 10’s and 110’s. I currently have a savage axis in 6.5 Creed and have been really impressed out of even a sub $300. But looking to take the next step up and would even like to stick with savage. However I’m open to anything that performs well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    TC Compass is an inexpensive rifle that shoots well. It has a lightweight barrel more for hunting then sitting at a range shooting all day so you would need to allow your barrel to cool off after a few 5 shot groups. They shot moa or better with good ammunition and if you do your part.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Mossberg 6.5 they have one at Highsmith in Greenfield $1200
    beautiful piece. Save up a little more money and go quality over budget. 1610756117004.png

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I guess I have a few questions. What are you wanting to do with this rifle? Hunt, normal out to 500 yard, or long range competition , or just target shoot at a 200 yard range? Most of your normal Remington, Savage, Ruger will do for Indiana hunting. I would say most bolt guns will do for most of us. Spend so time looking a good glass is almost more important than the rifle.
    Just my ideas.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Black friday weekend '19 I picked up a Savage 12fv from Cabela's. My experience picking it up at Noblesville was very frustrating, and I'll never buy another rifle from them, but ymmv.
    I dropped this rifle into an Oryx chassis, put an EGW mount on it, and dropped a previously purchased vortex crossfire II in vortex rings on it.
    My figures are ballpark, so bear with me.
    Rifle. 329.00
    Chassis. 410.00
    Mount. 120.00
    Scope. 210.00
    Total. 1069.00

Then, of course, some jackass sent me a check for 1200.00 at right about the same time a vortex strike eagle came up for sale for 800.00. So now she's not a budget build anymore...

Top Bottom