• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was given a bag-o-gun in the form of an fie mod tex (heritage rough rider). I ordered all new screws and a loading gate and found a magnum cylinder and some grips in my box of random parts. Stripped the finish in some eastwood green pyramid media in my tumbler. Roughed up the safety hole and packed it with some steelstik and sanded it down. I'm fitting the grips and grip frame and then I guess I'll shoot it with some alumahyde dark park. The grip frame to receiver fit was horrible but is getting better. I'm putting way to much time and effort in a cheap pot metal gun. 20211204_231749.jpg 20211204_231812.jpg 20211204_231802.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Yeah it's a pot metal lump but I for one would enjoy seeing pics of your progress.. You may be surprised what a peach you end up with. A little TLC can go a long way to make one of these a pretty nice pistol and you will have the satisfaction of something you can hold in your hand that shows your skills.. I've done similar projects in the past and found them very personally rewarding.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I shot this gun in its previous life and it was a tack driver with the .22lr cylinder if it shoots half as good with the magnum cylinder I'll be happy. Depending on how it turns out I might strip my new production rough rider and fill in the safety on it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    For a cheap plinker, the only problem with the Rough Rider is that stupid safety. I don't even mind the fact that is has a safety so much as HOW they implemented it...plastic, and right there on the recoil shield where I like to index my thumb when I shoot. My FIL has one, and it's a great little shooter...the trigger is even better than my single-six. I just can't get over the stupid safety. Yours looks like a fun project...low risk and high reward...I imagine it'll be a great little shooter when you're done!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    20211211_125458.jpg 20211211_125506.jpg 20211211_125513.jpg
    Here it is as it sits now. I still need to blue the trigger and hammer. Alumahyde wasnt great but after a couple tries I'm happy with it. I threw in a LR cylinder and shot some colibris and CBs out of it at 8yds in my basement and it grouped at 1.25ish with the colibris and 1.375ish with the CBs with 5 shot groups one handed off hand. So I expect with some practice and good ammo I can shrink the groups down. Wasnt sure about the green tint to the dark parkerizing alumahyde but I'm starting to dig it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Good idea! The safety on my old Heritage broke when I was dry firing it (dumb kid; I know) and I got bored and cut the barrel down and basically screwed it all up! It’s still around here in a box somewhere. I might have to dig it out and do the same thing to it.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Here it is as it sits now. I still need to blue the trigger and hammer. Alumahyde wasnt great but after a couple tries I'm happy with it. I threw in a LR cylinder and shot some colibris and CBs out of it at 8yds in my basement and it grouped at 1.25ish with the colibris and 1.375ish with the CBs with 5 shot groups one handed off hand. So I expect with some practice and good ammo I can shrink the groups down. Wasnt sure about the green tint to the dark parkerizing alumahyde but I'm starting to dig it.

Hey... I thought I was the only idiot that shoots a .22LR in his basement! LOL.

Nice work by the way.

Top Bottom