• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It's that time of year again. Time for everyone to lose their freaking minds over brown recluses. They don't even live in the northern half of Indiana. Yes there a lots of brown spiders here. Yes some of them are scary. But most folks couldn't recognize a BR "if it bit them." And you have much more chance of getting struck by lightning or drowning in your bathtub than medically serious reactions to a BR bite. The spiders are actually pretty common where they are endemic, and you never see news items of "epidemics of people hospitalized or dead" from BR bites.

Lazy doctors are part of the problem. Many will just call any necrotizing wound a BR bite. Had that happen to two neighbors in NE Ohio, and we are hundreds of miles outside BR range there.

Don't just take my word for it:
    https://spiders.ucr.edu/myth-brown-recluse-fact-fear-and-loathing

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Their territory has expanded a fair amount over the last 20 years.

There are a very very very few critters whose bites cause necrosis on their own (That is to say without infection of some bacteria)

Don't be so quick to dismiss the brown recluse in areas where they aren't normally seen.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I was bit by what may have been a brown recluse @ 10yrs ago. Stung like a thorn in the back of my calf (right at top of boot line) while I was quail hunting. More than likely was in my boot when I put it on.

Thought nothing of it and had a small, dime sized welt that after a few days looked like someone had given me a hickey through a window screen. it came and went for a couple of months. Because it was on the back of my leg i really didn't notice it.

Was in Mexico that April and a friend says, "WTF is on the back of your leg?" Said I don't know what you're talking about. Look at it and it's back but now about the size of a quarter. Get back and go see the doc. I asked him what he thought it was and he says, "Cancer." WTF?

Does biopsy and comes back negative so he sends me to dermatologist. I ask him what he thinks and he says, "Cancer." WTF!! he wants to do a biopsy and tell him already had one. He says, probably missed the cancer and finds the tests )same group of doctors) and comes back and says not cancer - insect bite of some kind - probably spider and likely brown recluse because was probably in my boot. Black Widows unlikely. I think he told me those were the only two poisonous spiders in the area.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Dealt with them when we lived in Missouri.

Get some glue boards, and put them in their common paths. Don't leave things in piles where they might want to burrow/hide. You'll be fine. They're really nothing to worry about.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Little miss muffet sat on her tuffet.
    Eating her curds and whey,

miss muffet. Her tuffet. Eating cheese and cream of wheat like stuff?

The brown recluses bite is mean. Good friend south of lint on Indiana has what looks to be a very large ring size cigar burn on his chest as a scar. Put on hunting clothes from a garage locker that must have had one hiding in the clothes. Was bitten an hour or so later. Went into bee string like shock had to go to hospital for a epi pen shot. Scar looks like a very large cigar burn to this day

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    to put a finer point on the glue boards.

get the covered ones that are glue on a posterboard sheet you fold into a rectuangular tube. The black plastic trays suck, especially if you tend to drop stuff on them.

Put the assembled trap against the wall. critters dont scurry across the room typically, and like to hug the walls and walk in the corners.

I do that in my garage and have to replace the traps quarterly because they fill up.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Dealt with them when we lived in Missouri.

Get some glue boards, and put them in their common paths. Don't leave things in piles where they might want to burrow/hide. You'll be fine. They're really nothing to worry about.
    Had the same in Moore, OK. Had to sweep out the garage every time the yard was mowed because even the slightest grass clipping seemed to bring them in. Never allowed boxes or cardboard scraps to be left in the garage then either. Kept it spotless and stayed vigilant about dust and anything on the floor or in the corners and we didn't seem to have any trouble after that.

Last Fall the hubs was tinkering around in our garage here in central Indiana (and it's full of um...his 'treasures'). He was in a spot that really isn't disturbed much if ever, was wearing a pullover with a hoodie and rummaging through a corner bin with wood sticking out of it. Few hours later he had a SHARP pain in his elbow, some kinda bite and a lot of swelling and pain. Whatever it was left the spot very swollen and painful for months. I may have to go get some of those glue things you guys are talking about.

Top Bottom