• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Few hours later he had a SHARP pain in his elbow, some kinda bite and a lot of swelling and pain. Whatever it was left the spot very swollen and painful for months. I may have to go get some of those glue things you guys are talking about.
    My friend with the cigar sized scar changed into hunting clothes stored in a metal container hours before he was bitten in the chest. His seemed to eat away at the skin looking just like a perfect large ring finger cigar sized burn

if he got pain and swelling only he go lucky if it was a recluse.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    Their territory has expanded a fair amount over the last 20 years.

There are a very very very few critters whose bites cause necrosis on their own (That is to say without infection of some bacteria)

Don't be so quick to dismiss the brown recluse in areas where they aren't normally seen.
    A little defensive, must be one of those lazy doctors :D

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    A little defensive, must be one of those lazy doctors :D
    Didn’t sound defensive to me? Sounded pretty informative and like a good discussion starter about the expansion of their territory... which a lot of insects and animals do periodically. If they can survive just fine in southern indiana, they can in northern.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The glue traps in a corner catch a lot, including mice. We keep an eye out for them here, but I figure something local eats them.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My BR bite caused the flesh to start eating away in a dime sized area on my leg. Antibiotics seemed to help. However, for the next year any time my immune st=ystem was compromised by colds or fatigue, I would have new little areas form around the original scar, so the poison must have still been in my system

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We have lots of small lizards called skinks that eat every bug they can catch so I figure they make a dent in the ground spider population. On the negative side, copperheads like the lizards as much as they do the frogs.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I HATE SPIDERS. That being said, Brown Recluses bother me less than those brown fuzzy orb weaver b@$+ards that put their ginormous webs up in front of any door that that I have to exit in the evening.
    Like checking fire extinguishers, each summer I have to check the functionality of the cans of WD 40 and Bic lighters stationed at each of those exits.

MH

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    downrange72 got bit by what was diagnosed as a BR bite a few years back. He was bit in bed, in his apartment in Camby. I think he was hospitalized, but for sure had skin and calf muscle issues for well over a year.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Little miss muffet sat on her tuffet.
    Eating her curds and whey,

miss muffet. Her tuffet. Eating cheese and cream of wheat like stuff?

The brown recluses bite is mean. Good friend south of lint on Indiana has what looks to be a very large ring size cigar burn on his chest as a scar. Put on hunting clothes from a garage locker that must have had one hiding in the clothes. Was bitten an hour or so later. Went into bee string like shock had to go to hospital for a epi pen shot. Scar looks like a very large cigar burn to this day
    The spot where I got bit on the back of my calf looks like a good hot cigarette burn to this day.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The bites themselves have a wide range of severity. The bite can lead to necrosis or even be deadly, but IIRC, a relatively low percentage of them are anywhere near that severe.
    Reassuring to hear!

I live out in the sticks. Spend a lot of time outside, on top of all the insects and the like that find their way into the old farm house.

While I am conscious and cautious, I really just can't be over the top with constant fear of spiders, snakes, ticks, mosquitoes, etc.

Top Bottom