• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    So this past week I've been had multiple emergency calls for vehicles broken down. Multiple of the people calling were people I had said, "this car needs an alternator", "this car needs a battery" weeks prior to the blizzard. They didnt listen, and brushed it off. One of them even took advice from a friend over the phone whom diagnosed the car based on the girl emulating what the car sounded like and came to a completely different conclusion than I did (based off testing components with my dvom). Im no master tech but I did do 2 years of auto tech in college, and have a decent understanding. However when I was in school hybrids were just coming out and ive never been a huge fan nor really cared about learning about them. Fast forward to today and Im trying to jump start this hybrid. It has a trunk battery, now my bmw does as well and im sure many new cars are going to that since they have a hard enough time fitting engines in automobiles today with all the plastics and small engine compartments. I couldnt do anything with this hybrid. Couldnt put it in neutral, couldnt pop the trunk, couldnt even get the key out of the stupid little port. I had to quickly google where the positive pole under the hood was (hidden in the fuse box). After today ive had enough of breaking out the jumper cables and wrapping them back up. I watched a project farm video, I went to amazon and bought a noco gbx75 portable jump starter. Great reviews, isnt the most expensive or powerful but im not trying to get a semi, or front loader to turn over.

My question here is every review video ive seen says to connect the positive to positive battery post, and negative to negative battery post (duh). But will these things read a battery connection if i have to jump a car with a battery in the trunk? Basically can I jump a car just using a positive terminal under the hood and grounding to the body or engine block? Or do i need to tear open the trunk and get to the battery? Seems pretty straight forward that it should work since its how you jump with cables, but part of me is questioning if the computers in these jumpers will have an issue not being directly connected to the battery.

Put this in the survival section because im trying to survive the headache of people coming to me with "my tire light is on", " my car wont start", "im stuck in the middle of a highway in a blizzard and need to be pushed off" (that woman put her foot on the brake and held it after i told them to put it in neutral so i could push it) , etc. Im losing my mind here, I recognize that vehicles break with no warning. However when something begins to fail on my vehicle I replace it immediately. I understand we are in the Christmas season but that doesnt mean your dash needs to be lit up like a tree. While charging a persons battery prior to the blizzard I looked at the oil and told them it was black and needed to be changed. I was then told " oil is supposed to be black".:facepalm:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Most manufactures that I have check lately say to use the jump points under the hood even if the battery is in the trunk. As to the person who thinks motor oil is supposed to be black, like those who don't take care of their batteries or charging system, they keep mechanics/technicians in business. ;)

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Front post work fine. I have jumped dozens of Chargers and Durangos with our Noco without issue. The trunk of squad cars is packed with crap and the battery for the Durango is under the passenger seat and there is no way to get clamps on it easily. Even the manual override with the Noco works fine from under the hood.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Front post is fine. That's how I keep a battery tender on my Camaro. Also, I had a battery tender go bad a couple years ago and come Spring the battery was dead. I jumped it from the same post with no issues.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I recommend checking the owners manual for advice and cautions on jump starting. Back in the 90's I heard of a shop from a traveling sales rep, that had a foreign auto in for a new battery. When they went out to bring it in the battery was dead. It was cold out and nicer to change the battery in the warm shop. Warning label under the hood of "DO NOT JUMP START" was ignored and a very expensive computer got blown.
    Could something else caused a junk computer? Maybe but circumstances were against the shop.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, why do they now insist on hiding the keyways?

On my wife's Kia, and maybe mine, I noticed that there are no keyways visible. At one point I googled how to unlock her car if the battery was dead since there was no keyway to manually unlock it and they suggested jacking up the car and applying jumper cables to the frame and a point on the starter to energize the system so it could be unlocked by the fob. :scratch:

Digging deeper in fact you dont need to do that. The keyway is hidden by a cover directly behind the handle, and you can pop it off using the key to expose the keyway. I dont get it. why hide it? Its not like its ugly or an aerodynamic drag issue thats going to suck a couple miles off the tank in efficiency.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good question. What was once a simple task has been made overly complicated by engineers that have never turned a wrench.

I replaced my battery a couple weeks ago before the cold snap. Glad I did.

Chevy did it for weight distribution, trying to get more weight off the front axle and over the rear axle for handling. Even the C3 Corvettes had the battery behind the seat. Later gens went even further when they went to the "torque tube" design with the motor in the front and transmission in the back before they went to this new mid-engine design. All in an attempt to get as close to 50/50 as possible. I suspect some of them are just for space considerations, but there is a benefit to moving the battery rearward.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On a related note, why do they now insist on hiding the keyways?

On my wife's Kia, and maybe mine, I noticed that there are no keyways visible. At one point I googled how to unlock her car if the battery was dead since there was no keyway to manually unlock it and they suggested jacking up the car and applying jumper cables to the frame and a point on the starter to energize the system so it could be unlocked by the fob. :scratch:

Digging deeper in fact you dont need to do that. The keyway is hidden by a cover directly behind the handle, and you can pop it off using the key to expose the keyway. I dont get it. why hide it? Its not like its ugly or an aerodynamic drag issue thats going to suck a couple miles off the tank in efficiency.

Aesthetics, mostly, but also keeps it from icing. Ever have to take a lighter to your key to get into your truck? I have...

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most newer vechiles can not be started from just grounding the lead. Alot of vechiles that have a different battery placement than the engine bay, usually have places in the engine bay to jump start or charge. Owners manual or some youtube searching will help on placement. Not the most familiar with modern hybrids. But the first gen ford weren't anything special. Modern ones are a different ball game.
    Motorcycles from about 2012 and newer cant be push started, They dont produce enough energy ar low rpms to run the fuel injectors. Modern cars have 10x the electrical draw than a motorcycle.

Bought 2 lithium jump packs 3.5 years ago. Used then to start 35hp deisel tractors, v8 trucks and alot of other ppl. Bought them on clearance. Been great investments.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    As you your ? on why people are putting off making repairs , i work on some cars and mainly harleys since i retired, most of my callers want a quote to fix there rides because i went to the dealer and i can't afford there prices!! with the economy getting worse all the time, people are having some trouble making ends meet. I don't work on newer cars and stop at 2016 on harleys as that is my last certification. Also be forewarned don't jump your harley off a running vehicle you may burn out your charging system.

Lpherr

Occupied
    As you your ? on why people are putting off making repairs , i work on some cars and mainly harleys since i retired, most of my callers want a quote to fix there rides because i went to the dealer and i can't afford there prices!! with the economy getting worse all the time, people are having some trouble making ends meet. I don't work on newer cars and stop at 2016 on harleys as that is my last certification. Also be forewarned don't jump your harley off a running vehicle you may burn out your charging system.
    So, it's best to shut the car ignition off, before doing donuts on the hood and jumping the Harley off the trunk lid?:):

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Got it today from Amazon. Got a call to jump a tdi, hadn’t even got it fully charged yet but I went out with it and cables. Love it, girl was trying to use a cheaper jumper and not having success. Car fired up like nothing. Only complaint I have is I wish the cables were longer for times I’ll need to ground it to the body.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom