• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawvid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Alright guys, why is it that every time I my wife walks into the LGS with me someone has to make a comment about me brining her to get permission, her being there to supervise me, or whatever I spend on guns she gets to spend on jewelry?

She’s not really into guns like I am, but does shoot a little and carries from time to time if she’s not with me. She honestly looks at guns just like any of my other hobbies/interest. The LGS isn’t her favorite place, but she’s willing to go with me if we’re already out and about. However, recently she’s started to push back a little on stopping by because of the comments.

No one has made a real derogatory or mean comment, but the wife jokes aren’t funny in front of the wives. I get it, the wife memes in the funny pic thread are funny, but that’s not in person real life.

I’ve spent as much or more on camera gear, computer equipment, stereo components, or power tools, with my wife present, and not a single comment ever. Why is it just dudes in the gun shop that can’t help themselves?
    Sometimes people fear what they don’t understand, causing them to say silly things and act stupid. You are blessed to have a wife interested enough to go with you to LGS. They are probably saying what their own wives would be like…God help them if she finds out they are AT the gun shop!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Reading through this thread I am fortunate that Mrs. MarkC never objects when I want to buy something gun-related and expensive (or car-related, and expensive), but we almost always discuss the purchase ahead of time. Most recently (like, yesterday), we just plunked down (electronically, of course) some $$$ for a CMP 1911, and I went to Bradis to arrange the FFL transfer.

On the other hand, she almost never goes into the LGS when we go. She's content to wait in the car, as she has no interest. Same thing with auto parts stores.

All that being said, in my modest collection I have about everything I want, so there aren't that many large purchases. Well, except for ammunition under the current conditions. ;)

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    My wife and daughters routinely went into Blythe's with me as we used the gun range a lot in the winter. My girls were married and gone but wife went with me a lot to GunTown when it was open. If people are rude to my family they will not get my money. My youngest daughter and her husband shoot a lot at gun ranges as well as bow ranges. Everyone has a stupid or human moment and sticks their foot in their mouth, but if it is consistent thus intended, I do other things with my time and money.

mstrmstr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    My wife supports my interests and usually goes with me... She also is a DEADEYE- one shot one kill.
    She bought me a Trap gun just for finishing rehab on a kitchen ..

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I shop with the wife regularly. We both make purchases and there has been more than one occasion she has suggested buying something even when we have gone in to just look around. I haven’t heard any comments like that but I know the wife would not react well to that. She already dislikes being overlooked at the counter like she is only there because I am.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I will say that my wife and I do semi-regularly go into the LGS, usually just to look around, or maybe I have something to do. Usually though they don't have any problems with unappreciated comments. Honestly my wife has more issues at the local gaming store than we do at a gun store.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Well before the covid scamdemic, my wife and I regularly visited our LGS. It was fun. She has more handguns than I do.

My pet peeve is not so much the comments but rather the actions of some of the ignorant sales people. The ones that slide out a 2" pink revolver the first time they see a girl at the counter. Oh, of course, in 32 cal.

My advice is always "shoot the largest calibur that you are comfortable with, carry the largest frame that you are comortable carrying. After all, a well placed hit with a 22LR is better than a miss with a 44 mag.

I have said, in other places, that my wife is not a big girl, neither are my daughters, yet they all do very well with their respective 45 autos. They usually carry their 9s due to clothing issues. Not only that but they are all much more accurate than I.

Like Drewski said, some places are just male territory and some female. That's unfortunate that we are back to the cave man stuff in our society.

I used to purchase all of the femine hygene products in our home. I knew all of the sizes, styles, types and fragrances.

At first it was kinda embarrassing as the women would head down that isle to intimidate me as soon as they saw me. I would tuck my head and run like a blushing schoolboy.

Eventually, I learned to hold up my head, puff out my chest, look em in the eye and smile. Sent them all running for cover.

Boy was it scarey though!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I went to buy a used vehicle at a dealership recently. Also thinking maybe new.

Nobody even cared.

Screw em
    Goes back to what you said about treat everyone as a potential customer. I know two cases that were the opposite of yours. One a young guy was looking at a new vette. The salesman were sitting around talking and the one asked the others if they were going to help him. They said no, no way he can afford that. He said I I'll go if you're not. Went up to him and asked if he could help him. Guy asked what's your best price on it. Salesman asked depends on how your going to finance it. Guy says no financing check right now. Salesman said I need to check with the manager. Guy signed the check such an such MD. Other case was and old hillbilly looking guy wearing old bibs and a long beard. Salesman sold a new car and truck that day.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Just telling the wife, over coffee this morning, about this thread. She said "Don't you remember when I went to Big R on Black Friday to buy 45 ammo and a hand gun?" (she would not confess to me what new gun she wanted, Ha, ha, ha)

The guys behind the counter just kept ignoring her and my daughter and waited on the men. My wife uttered I guess I'll just go to Dunham's and one of the guys says "Oh, can I help you?" She "Nope, too late. I wanted some 45s and a new gun but I'll take my money elsewhere."

Good for her, but I still wonder about the gun. Hmmmm?

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My wife and I go to the show for together from time to time. It's all quite fair; when I buy a gun she buys a gun, unless she likes mine a lot then it becomes her gun. <sigh>

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I dunno, I think you can run into that type of comment anywhere you go. I think there are some simple (non verbal) things that can impact the 'perception' of reality. Have her stand slightly ahead of you or closer to the counter than you do. Let her know the maker you are interested in before walking into the store so that she's in the lead and actively engaged in looking at the cases. Frequently when a shopper moves from case to case at a relatively quick pace then stops at a very specific case it gives the physical appearance of 'this is your shopper, speak to them NOW'.

I don't know how to fix complete strangers who have diarrhea of the mouth other than looking them directly in the eye with my best RBF while discussing my firearms preferences with the hubs. I've always enjoyed the banter with sales people but it's been some time since I've been in any LGS so things may have changed. Ultimately, if you prefer her with you while you shop then work through things as best you can. Stepping between your wife and someone saying something stupid, while completely ignoring them, is a big non-verbal statement of 'we aren't your friends'.

EMT-Alex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    Anderson
    I get it sometimes. I never figured it to be a big issue.

The only notable interaction i can think of between my spouse, me, and the gun store owner is when the gun store owners kid shot my wife with his nerf gun.

Good times!

Top Bottom