For trade?
    TikiHsTBkulA3GqxnHH81Z1wVohSiSvOwniRgMjpKrDyO4WTQuOPdY54qxNcKBbR.jpg

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    I spent just under a week in the hospital, luckily the VA picked up the bill.
    6 hours in ER, 4 days in a regular room,
    Over $61,000.
    You KNOW a for profit 'Health Care Group' would want 3 times as much.

A guy I was in the military with spent 2 weeks in ICU with COVID, 3 weeks total, in September, $780,000.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I don't wish that on anyone.

She's always been on 'My Side', but not one bit scared to point out I was doing something stupid when I singed my eyebrows off! ;)
    You don't even want to know what my quintuple bypass cost two months ago.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Alright guys, why is it that every time I my wife walks into the LGS with me someone has to make a comment about me brining her to get permission, her being there to supervise me, or whatever I spend on guns she gets to spend on jewelry?

She’s not really into guns like I am, but does shoot a little and carries from time to time if she’s not with me. She honestly looks at guns just like any of my other hobbies/interest. The LGS isn’t her favorite place, but she’s willing to go with me if we’re already out and about. However, recently she’s started to push back a little on stopping by because of the comments.

No one has made a real derogatory or mean comment, but the wife jokes aren’t funny in front of the wives. I get it, the wife memes in the funny pic thread are funny, but that’s not in person real life.

I’ve spent as much or more on camera gear, computer equipment, stereo components, or power tools, with my wife present, and not a single comment ever. Why is it just dudes in the gun shop that can’t help themselves?
    I know what you mean. As someone who has a wife who is very interested in shooting and probably knows more about firearms than most gun store employees, it seems very condescending when employees at a business make these comments. Most the time she takes the Ron Swanson approach and flat out tells them “I know more than you do”. That usually shuts them up lol.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The woman is being discredited as well. She's relegated to "ball and chain" caricature, and not like a real person or, God forbid, a potential customer. She's just a prop for their joking that he's henpecked. He remains the focus, and nobody is seriously indicating she is in charge economically. Literally nobody would make the opposite joke in a jewelry store for fear of alienating the man and losing a customer. They can alienate her without concern.

Note:

Is it 'feminism' to make a woman uncomfortable in a business? It's just good ol' boy mentality joking around, which isn't wrong, just probably not right for every context. Is it a net win for gun owners to alienate this woman, or women in general?
    Totally agree with this, and the way this thread has wandered off-topic is a perfect example of how self-absorbed the "male gun culture" is. It's all about "us."

It's not about whether the shop "means anything by it" or not. It's how it's perceived by the recipient. And you're creating an impression which totally discounts the woman as an individual, and treats her as a member of a class.

Stop treating women as a class. Treat them as individuals. That's what "we" as freedom-lovers are supposed to be all about. Stop looking at skin color and gender, and see the individual.

I understand some of you are trying to be "social" by making these comments, but when you're in social situations, sometimes you need to learn "better" ways of being social. I'm no different; I definitely stepped on my pecker a lot of times out of simply being socially awkward and "not knowing what to say," so believe me, I totally get it. When I do it, half the time it's because I didn't know what to say - but felt the need to "say something" anyway. That's were you get in trouble. Sometimes, it really is better to not say anything.

It's about putting a small "delay" between what your eyes see and what comes out of your mouth. Keep your brain in charge. Don't have memorized "rote" responses to social situations. Think about the individual, and treat them as such.

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Alright guys, why is it that every time I my wife walks into the LGS with me someone has to make a comment about me brining her to get permission, her being there to supervise me, or whatever I spend on guns she gets to spend on jewelry?

She’s not really into guns like I am, but does shoot a little and carries from time to time if she’s not with me. She honestly looks at guns just like any of my other hobbies/interest. The LGS isn’t her favorite place, but she’s willing to go with me if we’re already out and about. However, recently she’s started to push back a little on stopping by because of the comments.

No one has made a real derogatory or mean comment, but the wife jokes aren’t funny in front of the wives. I get it, the wife memes in the funny pic thread are funny, but that’s not in person real life.

I’ve spent as much or more on camera gear, computer equipment, stereo components, or power tools, with my wife present, and not a single comment ever. Why is it just dudes in the gun shop that can’t help themselves?
    Every time my wife going it seems to cost me a new gun or ammo or clothes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener has never been concerned, she figures it keeps me out of trouble. That said she never visits the LGS with me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with Web. In most cases its them being cordial. Appreciate they feel comfy enough to joke around with you.

I'll admit that although I'm the sole breadwinner, I'm not the accountant/budgeter. Thats her job. It would be irresponsible for me to walk into a gun store and just willy-nilly spend money without her consent. Its feasible that I could cause a check to bounce doing that crap.

Hell, I freely admitted to USDS a couple days ago that I needed to check with "the boss" before ordering a $150 pistol for my son as a gift. And I'm not ashamed. And when she wants to spend $150 on something for her, she talks to me. (usually LOL)

(EDIT: To her credit, she seldom tells me no. Worst case is usually "can it wait 2 weeks?")
    Out of the blue driving home from the store the wife says "I think you should buy MonkeyBoy the pistol. It would be an awesome surprise for Christmas."

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Used to take my wife and daughters into McDonalds gun shop and they were always greeted and felt right at home. Jeff, Barb and Jeff's daughter had the best laid back customer service skills of any lgs around. I really miss that place.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 167582 You could leave your wife in the car.
    My wife stayed in the car one day when we stopped by our favorite LGS. Made my meager purchase and the owner asked "Where's your wife"? "In the car". As I walked out, the owner followed me to the car to talk to my wife. Needless to say, that is why it is our favorite LGS.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The woman is being discredited as well. She's relegated to "ball and chain" caricature, and not like a real person or, God forbid, a potential customer. She's just a prop for their joking that he's henpecked. He remains the focus, and nobody is seriously indicating she is in charge economically. Literally nobody would make the opposite joke in a jewelry store for fear of alienating the man and losing a customer. They can alienate her without concern.

Note:

Is it 'feminism' to make a woman uncomfortable in a business? It's just good ol' boy mentality joking around, which isn't wrong, just probably not right for every context. Is it a net win for gun owners to alienate this woman, or women in general?
    I would agree with you, and I know there are women who would be less than amused. I have met too many women who boldly proclaim that she is in charge, and that he has no choice in any matter, financial or other wise. They are proud to be difficult, and he better just take it. Our society may have never been totally polite and social banter may have never been totally respectful. In the last few decades we have seen social settings deteriorate to the lowest common denominator.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Busy weekend, so I’m just now getting back to this thread. I feel like I need to clarify that the comments aren’t coming from the staff. It’s other shoppers. My guess is, and what I tell my wife, is that they’re jealous because they’re either divorced or their wives won’t come with them.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Busy weekend, so I’m just now getting back to this thread. I feel like I need to clarify that the comments aren’t coming from the staff. It’s other shoppers. My guess is, and what I tell my wife, is that they’re jealous because they’re either divorced or don’t their wives won’t come with them.

Ah, there's a name for people like that.

Aholes.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

That's something I would say to people I know not complete strangers. Usually the reply is him: Yes I brought the boss or her: he knows who wears the pants in this house.

All done in fun and never have made them angry.

I broke my wrist years ago and was told multiple times "did she teach you to say yes dear yet" I'd say something like "that takes a broken leg."

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I hit a lot of LGSs and gun shops, in general, when traveling. I have done this for close to 35 years. The men to women ratio in all of those shops, in all of those years has probably been 85/15.

That being said, I don't ever recall hearing comments from customers, like the OP has experienced, when it came to wives/girlfriends in a shop. Like someone stated, above, I could see this among friends, but not complete strangers. I am guessing a combination of nervousness/jealousy and people just trying to be comedians.

When in uniform, I usually hear "It wasn't me", "he/she is the one you are looking for" or "I didn't do it" a couple of times a day. Admittedly, it gets old, some days.

I believe, if it were me, I would casually make mention of this to the shop owner. (Not in a confrontational way) and see what his response is.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Majority of wives/ GFs have a less than positive attitude in a gun shop. Many barking at the supposed male in front of staff and customers...." You dont need that " or " thats too much ".

Seen if a zillion times. Some women rather rude/ brutish.

Ball and chain joke came about for a reason.

Sure, some partners are cool, or pleasant while not giving a hoot. Some are shooters too.

Odd, if theyre not observant enough to have seen this stuff. They should be more upset at the women who created the stereotype, not those that laugh about it.

Reactions: Leo

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my daughters and ol lady have been to a lot of shops over the years.

They ignore silly stuff people say.

Newsflash.....theyre good looking and hear way worse/ negative outside of the gunshop.

Do agree, that such jokes need to be done w a known audience. In any business, any joke.

Smart business is to be neutral.

The one i hear a lot, w or wo women around is " better to ask for forgiveness than permission ".

And a lot of potential buyers say they gotta ask first.

Whatever man, thats their relationship.

Coming from a shooting family, at my house it's " you cane homw without something ?"

Learned long ago. Life is short.
    If you see it and want it better get it while you can.

Talking guns here,not that other stuff LOL

Top Bottom