• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Alright guys, why is it that every time I my wife walks into the LGS with me someone has to make a comment about me brining her to get permission, her being there to supervise me, or whatever I spend on guns she gets to spend on jewelry?

She’s not really into guns like I am, but does shoot a little and carries from time to time if she’s not with me. She honestly looks at guns just like any of my other hobbies/interest. The LGS isn’t her favorite place, but she’s willing to go with me if we’re already out and about. However, recently she’s started to push back a little on stopping by because of the comments.

No one has made a real derogatory or mean comment, but the wife jokes aren’t funny in front of the wives. I get it, the wife memes in the funny pic thread are funny, but that’s not in person real life.

I’ve spent as much or more on camera gear, computer equipment, stereo components, or power tools, with my wife present, and not a single comment ever. Why is it just dudes in the gun shop that can’t help themselves?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with Web. In most cases its them being cordial. Appreciate they feel comfy enough to joke around with you.

I'll admit that although I'm the sole breadwinner, I'm not the accountant/budgeter. Thats her job. It would be irresponsible for me to walk into a gun store and just willy-nilly spend money without her consent. Its feasible that I could cause a check to bounce doing that crap.

Hell, I freely admitted to USDS a couple days ago that I needed to check with "the boss" before ordering a $150 pistol for my son as a gift. And I'm not ashamed. And when she wants to spend $150 on something for her, she talks to me. (usually LOL)

(EDIT: To her credit, she seldom tells me no. Worst case is usually "can it wait 2 weeks?")

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I always joke about talking to the "finance" department, but I Just want to see if the finances are ok to buy something priced that high.. I recently posted about going to a LGS with my wife, and I looked at a gun twice, and she asked if I wanted it.. ( I did, but it was a lot of money) She told me to get it, that Christmas was coming up, and it was OUR money.....so I bought it....She keeps the account straight, otherwise we'd be living under a bridge...I check with her because I want the bills paid, and my son supplied with insulin, and supplies, those come first...but guns come in close....I've never actually heard anything disrespectful when with her at a gun store....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I take CKS when we are stopping in to see friends as we know the owners of the LGS i sometimes frequent. The back and forth is similar but guys, how many ingo members say they are in deep Kimshee if the wife finds out (1) how many guns they own or (2) how much they spend on them or (3) I have to clear this with her.
    That’s where this comes from basically. I am blessed not to have that issue as I give CKW her cut (Tribute) when ever I buy or sell a gun. It’s not much but it’s fun and keeps her in the game. She always benefits in some way.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Alright guys, why is it that every time I my wife walks into the LGS with me someone has to make a comment about me brining her to get permission, her being there to supervise me, or whatever I spend on guns she gets to spend on jewelry?

She’s not really into guns like I am, but does shoot a little and carries from time to time if she’s not with me. She honestly looks at guns just like any of my other hobbies/interest. The LGS isn’t her favorite place, but she’s willing to go with me if we’re already out and about. However, recently she’s started to push back a little on stopping by because of the comments.

No one has made a real derogatory or mean comment, but the wife jokes aren’t funny in front of the wives. I get it, the wife memes in the funny pic thread are funny, but that’s not in person real life.

I’ve spent as much or more on camera gear, computer equipment, stereo components, or power tools, with my wife present, and not a single comment ever. Why is it just dudes in the gun shop that can’t help themselves?

My wife has no issues at all.
    She says gun stuff (or car stuff, or Jeep stuff) is better than drugs or strip joints...

I was looking at a rifle (drooling) and she says "If you want it, get it".
    I say, can't afford it,
    She says, "I can pick up more hours at work, so go ahead and get it if you want it."

I didn't get it, the 'Want' passed, but still...

I was slobbering over a Dillon XL650 but wouldn't get one for myself, personal use (not business).
    I come home and she says "Early Merry Christmas, now get it out of the living room floor."
    (As I run to the shop giggling like a school girl!)

When we hit hard times I had to sell some firearms I wanted to keep, one of those was a Ruger stainless muzzle loader that's not made anymore.
    We saw one some years later at a gun show and I commented I missed mine...
    We went on looking around at that show.

On my birthday she gave me a great big box, another box inside, and yet another,
    About a dozen boxes in I got that stainless Ruger!
    She sneaked off saying she was going to look at something she saw earlier and bought it, kept it for months before boxing it up a dozen times to confuse me...

This is the same woman that insisted on learning how to strip & clean everything she shoots and insisted on learning how to load her own ammo, built me custom display cases for some of the collectables and hung them on the walls for decoration.
    (She loves brass frames & cowboy guns)

Not too many out there like her, so if you have one you have a keeper!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife has no issues at all.
    She says gun stuff (or car stuff, or Jeep stuff) is better than drugs or strip joints...

I was looking at a rifle (drooling) and she says "If you want it, get it".
    I say, can't afford it,
    She says, "I can pick up more hours at work, so go ahead and get it if you want it."

I didn't get it, the 'Want' passed, but still...

I was slobbering over a Dillon XL650 but wouldn't get one for myself, personal use (not business).
    I come home and she says "Early Merry Christmas, now get it out of the living room floor."
    (As I run to the shop giggling like a school girl!)

When we hit hard times I had to sell some firearms I wanted to keep, one of those was a Ruger stainless muzzle loader that's not made anymore.
    We saw one some years later at a gun show and I commented I missed mine...
    We went on looking around at that show.

On my birthday she gave me a great big box, another box inside, and yet another,
    About a dozen boxes in I got that stainless Ruger!
    She sneaked off saying she was going to look at something she saw earlier and bought it, kept it for months before boxing it up a dozen times to confuse me...

This is the same woman that insisted on learning how to strip & clean everything she shoots and insisted on learning how to load her own ammo, built me custom display cases for some of the collectables and hung them on the walls for decoration.
    (She loves brass frames & cowboy guns)

Not too many out there like her, so if you have one you have a keeper!
    I have one of those and yes she is.
    Not to drag out medical crap but we (Spouse and I) are facing some serious life changes right now. So I am selling off everything I have collected over the years. All of it.
    Knives guns ammo tools and equipment. All the while I was collecting/building guns cars bikes boats she always knew that would be the 1st to go if times got rough. Well, they have so it has been non-stop. This weekend will be close to everything gone except the pieces she wants to keep after I leave this mortal plain and a couple of ARs.
    In this I bought her a near new vehicle of her choice. Reliable and low maintenance to make life easy. Stashed up some reserves to cover the insane medical bills that are now starting to roll in.
    All this from selling off my guns etc.
    There was never any questions I would do this. She was always in my corner and is as I face what is to come.
    If you have this in your partner you are seriously blessed.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have one of those and yes she is.
    Not to drag out medical crap but we (Spouse and I) are facing some serious life changes right now. So I am selling off everything I have collected over the years. All of it.
    Knives guns ammo tools and equipment. All the while I was collecting/building guns cars bikes boats she always knew that would be the 1st to go if times got rough. Well, they have so it has been non-stop. This weekend will be close to everything gone except the pieces she wants to keep after I leave this mortal plain and a couple of ARs.
    In this I bought her a near new vehicle of her choice. Reliable and low maintenance to make life easy. Stashed up some reserves to cover the insane medical bills that are now starting to roll in.
    All this from selling off my guns etc.
    There was never any questions I would do this. She was always in my corner and is as I face what is to come.
    If you have this in your partner you are seriously blessed.

I spent just under a week in the hospital, luckily the VA picked up the bill.
    6 hours in ER, 4 days in a regular room,
    Over $61,000.
    You KNOW a for profit 'Health Care Group' would want 3 times as much.

A guy I was in the military with spent 2 weeks in ICU with COVID, 3 weeks total, in September, $780,000.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I don't wish that on anyone.

She's always been on 'My Side', but not one bit scared to point out I was doing something stupid when I singed my eyebrows off! ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spent just under a week in the hospital, luckily the VA picked up the bill.
    6 hours in ER, 4 days in a regular room,
    Over $61,000.
    You KNOW a for profit 'Health Care Group' would want 3 times as much.

A guy I was in the military with spent 2 weeks in ICU with COVID, 3 weeks total, in September, $780,000.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I don't wish that on anyone.

She's always been on 'My Side', but not one bit scared to point out I was doing something stupid when I singed my eyebrows off! ;)
    32 days total in Hospital between ICU and regular room with 4 surgical procedures and 5 CT scans. Not received all the bills yet but they are coming.
    CKW was there as much as possible. She is my rock.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You are both blessed as am I.

To the OP, sorry but what else would you want them to say? They are cordial and repeat the only thing they have heard in these circumstances.

The best you could do is explain to your wife, "You know why they say that? It is because they don't all have a wife as good as you..." and go back in and order another rifle...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    32 days total in Hospital between ICU and regular room with 4 surgical procedures and 5 CT scans. Not received all the bills yet but they are coming.
    CKW was there as much as possible. She is my rock.

Hate to hear it.
    Hope you are feeling better.

There is something called 'Medical Bankruptcy' rather than selling everything...
    Let's you keep most stuff, like the house, primary vehicles, doesn't take as long to get your credit rating back, etc.

I have major medical, and I have the VA.
    I don't know how anyone without insurance, or inadequate insurance makes it with the way the system is stacked against them now.

A couple years ago a guy I worked with got hurt, needed gut surgery, spent a week in a regular hospital room.

With ACA, still cost him over $10,000 in deductibles and stuff they wouldn't pay for.
    Total bill was over $150,000 last I heard...

Its completely out of control, but no one can get on the same page to do anything about it...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    80 years of liberal politicians using feminism to buy votes have programmed society. At minimum, it is customary at least give verbal approval of societal conditions that do not really exist. People are just conditioned to virtue signal in a way that discredits men. It does not matter if they believe it or not.

Similar is the pressure to automatically elevate the single mother to an honored victim status. Many times she is in that situation 100% of her own failure, and the cause of others injury, yet we are required by societies SJW's act like she is a hero.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    80 years of liberal politicians using feminism to buy votes have programmed society. At minimum, it is customary at least give verbal approval of societal conditions that do not really exist. People are just conditioned to virtue signal in a way that discredits men. It does not matter if they believe it or not.

The woman is being discredited as well. She's relegated to "ball and chain" caricature, and not like a real person or, God forbid, a potential customer. She's just a prop for their joking that he's henpecked. He remains the focus, and nobody is seriously indicating she is in charge economically. Literally nobody would make the opposite joke in a jewelry store for fear of alienating the man and losing a customer. They can alienate her without concern.

Note:

However, recently she’s started to push back a little on stopping by because of the comments.

Is it 'feminism' to make a woman uncomfortable in a business? It's just good ol' boy mentality joking around, which isn't wrong, just probably not right for every context. Is it a net win for gun owners to alienate this woman, or women in general?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My wife doesn't shoot. And doesn't want to accompany me to the LGS
    Has zero interest in guns. Her 2 question are 1 how much did you pay 2 how much can you get if it had to be sold and sort of will it go up on value?
    If all those questions align to somewhat of a investment I'm good to go. I have a son who will pick a couple out if I'm gone and will sell the rest off so she will have a nice influx of cash if the day comes

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I don’t ask the wife’s permission or blessing. .
    She Carry’s but not everyday. She fires off everything I have and if she finds one she likes it becomes her’s.

She needs training classes as I have most likely influenced her with my habits both good and bad. We plan to take on that situation shortly. Time has not been kind for us the last 18 months.

She has never been hassled in a gun store or made to feel like she was not the customer. (Might be the stores I frequent ) I know the guys behind a lot of counters. When she comes in and strips a 1911 down and reassembles quickly they tend to remember her after that.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I almost always go to the LGS with my husband when he goes. I am shopping just as much as he is. I have never heard an employee say anything to him of this nature, and when they see me looking at pistols, they always offer to let me see anything that interests me as they would any other potential buyer.

The shops that ignore me never see me shopping in them again. More than once, I have had to search for an employee to help me when I have gone in on my own and then have been basically ignored as someone who isn't REALLY going to buy a gun. That was their mistake because I have had the cash in my purse on more than one of those trips and spent it elsewhere due to their inability to recognize that I was prepared to buy. Those are also shops I am not likely to return to for my next purchase.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Stereotypes aren’t always accurate but they certainly exist for a reason. Places like auto parts stores, hardware stores (remember those?) and yes gun shops are traditionally and overwhelmingly men’s territory. Reverse the roles and there are plenty of places that are more so women’s territory where men look out of place, and we joke about that too. And it’s not social conditioning or whatever. They are arguably related to primitive gender assignments. Big picture, rejecting and subverting those roles intentionally has gotten us as a society into trouble, but I digress. I don’t necessarily think those kind of comments are out of place, but maybe the commenters just can’t riff too well.

Like in the Seinfeld when Jerry heard a bad Jewish joke:

“And that offends you as a Jew?”
    “No, it offends me as a comedian!”

Top Bottom