• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Does anybody have experience hunting with Brenneke sabots from rifled barrel shotgun? The only slugs I used in last 12 years was Lighfield hybrid, which worked great with my Rem 870, but they stopped manufacturing them. Any other type I tried before didn't come even close. The only slugs I could find locally are Brenneke brand, and they are funky lookin things, and this is the only brand I haven't tried before (and honestly I never even heard of them before), so I am just wandering how they perform specifically in rifled barrel guns.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Does anybody have experience hunting with Brenneke sabots from rifled barrel shotgun? The only slugs I used in last 12 years was Lighfield hybrid, which worked great with my Rem 870, but they stopped manufacturing them. Any other type I tried before didn't come even close. The only slugs I could find locally are Brenneke brand, and they are funky lookin things, and this is the only brand I haven't tried before (and honestly I never even heard of them before), so I am just wandering how they perform specifically in rifled barrel guns.
    Ive used them for years in Smoothbores and I believe the design of the slug is for smoothbores.

RevolverGuy75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2021
    Central IN
    The earlier design rifled lead slugs are for better performance in smoothbore barrels, the “new” jacketed designs are for rifled barrels. I still prefer the rifled slugs out of my smoothbore slug barrels.

tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Thank you all for your feedback, but I guess may be I didn't formulate my question clearly enough. I know that being sabot rounds these slugs CAN work with rifled barrel, but wanted to know if anybody actually used them in refiled barrel gun, and if so, how they preformed.

RevolverGuy75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2021
    Central IN
    Yes, we are saying the saboted rounds are intended for rifled barrels. Maybe I’m missing what you mean. My 1187 12g w/ 24” Hastings rifled brl really likes Hornady SST’s. Hornady says they are good for 2” groups at 100y. 3-4” is what I shoot and am confident with that. Brenekke’s have always treated me right and as I said, still a big fan of the original KO’s out of my 20” smoothbore Ithaca. If you mean, shooting a rifled slug from a rifled barrel, well, no I never have. Could try it. Ain’t scared. ;)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Brenneke originally offered the sabots for rifled and for smooth bore. I am not sure about the difference but the boxes were clearly marked. I believe the rifled were called 'Gold'. This was years ago and now it seems they are for either.

I used them in a smoothbore left handed 870 and they worked great. My friend had an 1100 with a rifled barrel and he took deer out to 100 yards.

My longest was back when I was young and dumb working 12 hour shifts as an ICU nurse during the flu season didn't leave much hunting time. I had a button buck with clear line of sight walking away from me. I sure didn't want to grass bag him, so I added some Kentucky windage and pulled the trigger. It hit him in the back of his head and came out his right nostril. I would never even try it again, but I had that much faith in the Brenneke's. It measured out to be 98 yards.

Get an extra box and shoot them in a controlled environment and see how they work in your shotgun. That is the only way to know how they work, but yes you can use them in a rifled barrel and you should be impressed...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My 20 ga single shot with the rifled bbl will put 2 shots touching at 100 yds using cheap old Remington Buckhammer Foster style slugs. Never felt the need to try the expensive Sabots.
    Buckhammers actually aren't a foster slug.

They are a full diameter wad cutter, if we want to get technical. They don't have a hollow base like a foster does. They are brutal stuff, I haven't managed to find any for sale in a long time.

uDskpsQ.png

The lead actually engages the rifling like a normal bullet.

You can also run just about anything in a rifled barrel, with varying degrees of success. Depends on the gun and ammo, on an individual basis. Just be ready for lead fouling.

Last edited:

rutheborger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tippecanoe
    Remington stopped making Buckhammers a while ago. I guess they weren't profitable enough and wanted everyone to pay 20 bucks a box for copper slugs instead of 7.50 for lead, which is too bad- they grouped nice out of my Mossberg and put deer down quick.

Top Bottom