• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Every. Damn. Year. Shxt like this is going to run all but the largest airshows out of the business of having multiple planes in the air. The insurance will eventually turn the smaller ones into static ground displays.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do these airshows have some kind of traffic control? Or are things happening so quickly that they can't advise pilots when they're getting too close to another aircraft?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    King Cobra pilot is fully responsible. The B17 was flying a straight line. Pilot error or disregarding a safety procedures by the King Cobra. Thats my 2 cents after seeing this....will be waiting for Dan Gryder report shortly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Blind spot. Absolutely. P63 descending, and beween the low wing and the nose, he appears to have lost track of the fortress and went right through the tail behind the wings.

He was the lucky one. He had no warning/idea what was happening before he was likely killed/unconscious by the time he exited the B17. The Fortress crew had a few seconds to register it was hit and was about to go down. So sad.
    That is my take given the multiple angles floating around.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Do these airshows have some kind of traffic control? Or are things happening so quickly that they can't advise pilots when they're getting too close to another aircraft?
    I know a lot of these pilots are volunteers and have day jobs flying other kinds of rides, but most of those day jobs, even if you have thousands of hours, do not prepare you for this kind of performance. Flying at low altitude with other planes in the air is big-boy stuff. Any number of planes working over spectators requires everybody to have their space, stay in it, communicate, etc. It is very lucky nobody else got hurt.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    In my current life situation, I have a lot of thoughts about this event.

The P63 pilot will likely be found to be at fault. Negligence is an individual's poor decision at a point in time. It can impact only the individual and/or others. This happens way more often on public highways and streets than is reported on the news. Way more. When someone dies in an auto crash because of someone else's negligence, that is a tragedy. The innocent victim has no play in the negligent actor's action, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The P63 pilot died due to his poor decision, that is on him. The B-17 crew didn't deserve to die, they unfortunately were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here is my point: People die every day in vehicle collisions, across the nation - a lot. Those victims were just trying to get from point A to point B, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Their deaths are senseless, it surely could have been avoided. It is sad they died, but it is different from the tragedy in Dallas today. Those flyers today, in the 3 seconds from collision to ground contact, their brains didn't have time to process that they were about to die. These capable men flying vintage aircraft died today doing something they loved.

I could only be so lucky.

Top Bottom