• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Hopefully I will be there this month. I've only been once and that was about a year ago. Looking forward to going again.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I'll actually be there. Pins are my favorite thing to shoot, moreso than IDPA! I might even take some pictures.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I read all the information and have a couple of questions (looks really fun, BTW):

What does it mean that pins are placed near the middle of the table if you are shooting 9mm or 38 special?

If you are an absolute beginner, are there folks to help show you the ropes?

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Bigum1969,

For calibers 40 and up (major) the pins are placed about 1 foot from the front edge of the table. For 9mm and 38 special (minor), the pins are placed about 2 feet from the front edge of the table (which is also 2 feet from the back edge). This is an attempt to fairly allow major and minor shooters to compete together.

IF you show up early we usually allow first time shooters one practice table.
    If you show up later there is no practice offered.
    There are lots of shooters who will offer you help.
    Its actually very simple, take time to aim, concentrate on the front sight and squeeze the trigger.

Hope to see you there.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    We are planning to shoot PinHeads as the last bracket.
    However, I can not say that we will definitely shoot pinheads.
    We will probably shoot pinheads - no guarantees.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I have not found a good way to answer this type of question.
    Even though this reply may sound harsh, it is intended to inform, not flame.

While we like to encourage new shooters to participate in our matches, we anticipate 20 to 30 shooters attending the match. Due to the number of shooters present, we need to get started as soon as possible. While we have many shooters that help RO, SO and administrate, keeping it moving in an organized manner is a challenge. Having 20 people wait around while someone sights in a new pistol is just not going to happen.

There is no sighting in routine at our bowling pin match.
    Most action shooting matches expect you to have your equipment in order before you arrive at the range.

However, (it sounds like you are new to pin matches) if this is your first bowling pin match at MCF&GA and you arrive early, you can use the opportunity to shoot a practice table to "sight in" to a limited degree.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Sorry I will be absent this month. Going out of town with wife to celebrate our 39th.
    I'll be thinking of you as it looks like a great weekend.
    See you next month.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    We had 35-40 shooters show up for the bowling pin match today.
    If this trend continues, I'll have to make up a larger bracket.
    ( Well, I'll make a larger bracket anyway)

Thanks to all of you who came out to play.
    And especially for being safe.

Thanks to all of the people who pitched in to reset pins.

Special thanks to all of those who helped RO.
    We need more people willing to step up and call the line,
    so no one gets stuck ROing for too long.

Thanks again

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    impact.JPG

Speaking of pins, that image is captured a split second (I mean that literally) before the pin that's taking that round departed the table at some significant speed. Pin shooting is fun for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is watching things get destroyed.

ML ll THUMBHOLE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    PLAINFIELD,IN
    I'm interested in shooting pins. I will most likely be at the May event. I was reading where it is ok to have a top ported gun, is that correct, is it also ok to have a v-10 ported gun? I've decided to go with a 357 and was going to ship it off to Gemini customs. he thought a v-10 would be best. if so, what type of fast sight should I get. any and all answers appreciated.

thanks

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    While Brown-Dog is the official in charge, I willoffer my understanding of the MCF&G rules:
    Porting such as MagNaPort or similar is OK but compensators are not allowed. No optic sights such as red-dots or lazers. Must use "iron" sights but a fiber optic front such as Tru-glow or Williams Fire-sight is OK
    I have shot my S&W 686 with MagNaPort and nobody said a word. Have also used a GP-100 with front and rear Williams Fire Sight set and that too was OK.
    Please come by this month. I intend to give my new 610 a trial and will probably bring a couple of autos too.
    MCF&G isn't as formal with all the classes like you see in the books and magizines. Everyo0ne shoots what they brung with the only "handicap" being moving the pins back 12" for Minor (9mm/38 Spl) guns. Otherwise it heads up. Autos against revolvers or what ever combination the draw brings up. I even shot a single action Super Blackhawk. Just don't miss.

ML ll THUMBHOLE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    PLAINFIELD,IN
    thanks, for the info, i will send my gp 100 off to gemini customs to get the v-10 package I'll have it back in a couple months. In the meantime I will show up with 629 3" or a 45 auto. again thanks.

phil

Top Bottom