• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The folks at 200 West Washington, won't be helping the folks at 200 East Washington...

Funny how that worked out, explains why when I cross Washington street on Delaware or Penn, I feel like I have fools to the left, and jokers to the right..

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Holy crap, that is a LOT of "what ifs". You'd also have to change Dept policy that a CIVILIAN board controls as well as 7th Circuit Case Law. There are so many "what ifs" and assumptions that we might as well be discussing aliens from outer space.
    It's already policy to slow walk any gun brought in to the system in Marion County for years.
    You just have to read of all the people here in INGO alone who can't get their guns returned to them.

To simply say that all guns encountered in the daily duties of police stops need to be confiscated and checked to see if they're stolen, is not a bunch of "what ifs".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's already policy to slow walk any gun brought in to the system in Marion County for years.
    You just have to read of all the people here in INGO alone who can't get their guns returned to them.

To simply say that all guns encountered in the daily duties of police stops need to be confiscated and checked to see if they're stolen, is not a bunch of "what ifs".
    That policy is or has been changed though. There was an entire thread about it here and the guy from WISH-TV did a report on it, which prompted the policy change.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

That sounds unconstitutional. They can't just confiscate property to see if it might be stolen and take forever to give it back.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I'm kind of hung on up your earlier claim that this would somehow still be legal.

What are you basing that assessment on?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

"Policy" in the property room. It is run and staffed by civilians and officers have no idea what they do with the property we bring to them. I have no idea if that was even a written policy or since they've been doing it since the 70's, they just continued it...because.

Again, I am bound by my General Orders that prohibit such a practice. That G.O. prohibition is based on 7th Circuit case law and other applicable State law and SCOTUS decisions. Unless you change State law and case law, it will never happen. Yes, I said NEVER.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That policy is or has been changed though. There was an entire thread about it here and the guy from WISH-TV did a report on it, which prompted the policy change.

I did hear mention of this awhile back, but haven't heard any accounts of people here in INGO having their guns returned.
    I'm still in a "show me" mode. :)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    "Policy" in the property room. It is run and staffed by civilians and officers have no idea what they do with the property we bring to them. I have no idea if that was even a written policy or since they've been doing it since the 70's, they just continued it...because.

Again, I am bound by my General Orders that prohibit such a practice. That G.O. prohibition is based on 7th Circuit case law and other applicable State law and SCOTUS decisions. Unless you change State law and case law, it will never happen. Yes, I said NEVER.
    It doesn't have to be a written policy to not promptly return people's firearms unless there's a just reason not to.
    The reality is, the guns aren't being promply returned, and nobody in Indy government cares or the situation would be corrected.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    If choosing to vote was between Hogwash and a space alien.... give me minute, let me think about it....
    The State would have to create a State Law doing what the Mayor wants. The CCC can only create City Ordinances where the only consequences are fines. No one can go to jail for an ordinance violation. Most patrol officers care little for ordinance violations. They have their hands full with ACTUAL criminal activity.
    Solid feedback. Maybe somebody could explain it to Hogwash. Maybe somebody, like say, the IMPD Chief.
    I did hear mention of this awhile back, but haven't heard any accounts of people here in INGO having their guns returned.
    I'm still in a "show me" mode. :)
    Last I recall hearing, the policy was "under review". That's a bit different than the policy has been "changed". Though I suppose it may have been changed and I simply hadn't heard about it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It doesn't have to be a written policy to not promptly return people's firearms unless there's a just reason not to.
    The reality is, the guns aren't being promply returned, and nobody in Indy government cares or the situation would be corrected.
    Ok, still has nothing to do with me or ANYONE who actually does police work and has no bearing on your idea that we are drones that do what the Mayor wants. Nothing is further from the truth.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I'm looking forward to seeing a bill introduced in the next General Assembly session that will prohibit such a policy.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ah, an unknown Republican candidate. That worked out SOOOOO well the last time. One of the worse Administrations in my lifetime here. Even worse than Petterson.

I wouldn't compare the two.. Ballard honestly never expected to win, and was evident had no clue what the job entailed at the start. And I was never convinced they were all that conservative anyway. If there was ever a politician that was dead center (not right or left), it was Ballard. Some of his measures were really red side, and others were really left side, like he was trying to please everyone.
    Took him a long time to really get into the role, I will never forget him being REALLY late to step in to take a leadership role in a couple of snafus with the new Lucas Oil.. Like "Ohh wait, the Mayor is suposed to do that?"

Shreve does have city county council experience, so they have some idea of what needs to happen.

Don't forget that Hogsett did have a fairly serious primary challenge, so things are not all that solid on the D side...

I think he is vulnerable.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I wouldn't compare the two.. Ballard honestly never expected to win, and was evident had no clue what the job entailed at the start.

Shreve does have city county council experience, so they have some idea of what needs to happen.

Don't forget that Hogsett did have a fairly serious primary challenge, so things are not all that solid on the D side...

I think he is vulnerable.
    The devil you know. Shreve's tv ads regarding IMPD was proof he had NO IDEA the current issues are nor how to address them. I don't think he has a chance to beat Hogsett. We shall see though.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    @Denny347

Where was hog**** when the rioters were burning and looting the city and he told law enforcement to stand down?

Where was he on May 29, 2021, May 30, 2021, and May 31 of 2021?

Where was he and what was he doing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    @Denny347

Where was hog**** when the rioters were burning and looting the city and he told law enforcement to stand down?

Where was he on May 29, 2021, May 30, 2021, and May 31 of 2021?

Where was he and what was he doing?
    If only we could get him to debate The bored rich guy(tm) and he could ask that. But alas, mayor stinky shoes only appears like a groundhog for photo ops. he'd never agree to a debate.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The devil you know. Shreve's tv ads regarding IMPD was proof he had NO IDEA the current issues are nor how to address them. I don't think he has a chance to beat Hogsett. We shall see though.
    We will see, it depends on how much Hogsett keeps screwing up, that seems to be the only way an R can win in Indy, the D just needs to screw things up bad enough to make people hate him and pull the other lever in spite.

Peterson got wacked over property taxes.. Boss Hoggset knew this and there is a reason we got a discount on the spring assessment only.

Top Bottom