• ...and so much more!
  • TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    How lovely a society in which the lowest form of existence, the politician, is comfortable pandering to an audience he cares nothing about by promising to violate the rule and the intent of law.

You know, the 1st time I read your statement I thought it said pollution, not politician

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You've been here a bit longer than me. I've never seen IPD/IMPD officers leave to go to outlying departments until a few years ago. Maybe a few here and there to go to another state to follow a spouse or something, but never to surrounding counties. Now it's a steady drain.

With our current prosecutor and courts it's no surprise. Why would anyone want to risk their life to arrest the thugs when they know that nothing will happen to them?

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    With our current prosecutor and courts it's no surprise. Why would anyone want to risk their life to arrest the thugs when they know that nothing will happen to them?
    I used to work an occasional off-duty gig in Indy if it was something cool, but I gave that up shortly after the riots. $50 an hour is not worth the amount of risk down there. Those IMPD guys have way more guts than I do.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    IMO. I actually prefer being under a mayor. Sheriff's being elected is a double edged sword.

Yes, but an elected sheriff doesn't answer to the mayor. An IMPD chief is appointed by, and answers to, the mayor.

If a mayor wants to start taking guns away to achieve his political goal, the chief is the tool he will use to accomplish it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yes, but an elected sheriff doesn't answer to the mayor. An IMPD chief is appointed by, and answers to, the mayor.

If a mayor wants to start taking guns away to achieve his political goal, the chief is the tool he will use to accomplish it.
    So you are saying the CHIEF will go confiscate firearms on the Mayor's behalf? First off, this all smoke and mirrors since State law will not allow him to do what he stated. Second, how street officers actually conduct business every day has little to do with what the Mayor wants.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

..and the mayor is elected. There's no difference in accountability on that front, though for some reason since the sheriff tends to wear a uniform in public and the mayor doesn't people think otherwise.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    All that would need to happen is to have the police add to their present policy of intentionally slow walking every gun through the system and making innocent people who've committed no crime wait YEARS or even never to have their guns (legally owned property) returned.

THEN ADD to this policy that EVERY firearm the police encounter must be taken from the owner and entered into the system to be "checked" to be sure it isn't a stolen firearm.
    Knowing the owner will likely never get it returned to them.

So then the Mayor can still in essence have his gun "confiscation" scheme, and still TECHNICALLY abide by Indiana State law.

SO PICTURE this.
    You're pulled over by the police in Marion County, and they ask you about any firearms in your car.
    You inform them you have your carry pistol with you.

The cop who pulled you over has ZERO probable cause to believe you've committed a crime, or that your pistol is stolen.

BUT informs you of the new Mayor Hogsett public safety policy that every firearm encountered by the police MUST be checked to be sure it isn't stolen.
    After all, it's "for the children".

ONCE it enters the system, you can kiss good-bye to your pistol, and it's ALL "NICE AND LEGAL".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All that would need to happen is to have the police add to their present policy of intentionally slow walking every gun through the system and making innocent people who've committed no crime wait YEARS or even never to have their guns (legally owned property) returned.

THEN ADD to this policy that EVERY firearm the police encounter must be taken from the owner and entered into the system to be "checked" to be sure it isn't a stolen firearm.

So then the Mayor can still in essence have his gun "confiscation" scheme, and still TECHNICALLY abide by Indiana State law.

SO PICTURE this.
    You're pulled over by the police in Marion County, and they ask you about any firearms in your car.

The cop who pulled you over has ZERO probable cause to believe you've committed a crime, or that your pistol is stolen.

BUT informs you of the new Mayor Hogsett public safety policy that every firearm encountered by the police MUST be checked to be sure it isn't stolen.

ONCE it enters the system, you can kiss good-bye to your pistol, and it's ALL "NICE AND LEGAL".
    You forgot "and not release it without a proof of purchase."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    So you are saying the CHIEF will go confiscate firearms on the Mayor's behalf? First off, this all smoke and mirrors since State law will not allow him to do what he stated.
    What if the state law were changed? Might the chief then give directives to confiscate weapons guns? Would the patrolmen agree to the directive from the chief? I agree with smoke and mirrors... for now. But laws come, go and get amended. I'm also curious if the chief offers any pushback when the mayor attempts to circumvent existing law.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

SO PICTURE this.

Holy crap, that is a LOT of "what ifs". You'd also have to change Dept policy that a CIVILIAN board controls as well as 7th Circuit Case Law. There are so many "what ifs" and assumptions that we might as well be discussing aliens from outer space.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What if the state law were changed? Might the chief then give directives to confiscate weapons guns? Would the patrolmen agree to the directive from the chief? I agree with smoke and mirrors... for now. But laws come, go and get amended. I'm also curious if the chief offers any pushback when the mayor attempts to circumvent existing law.
    The State would have to create a State Law doing what the Mayor wants. The CCC can only create City Ordinances where the only consequences are fines. No one can go to jail for an ordinance violation. Most patrol officers care little for ordinance violations. They have their hands full with ACTUAL criminal activity.

Top Bottom