• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Really thought-provoking couple of posts there, guys. I have made it a rule to keep my IIIa+ vest handy enough to throw on if I hear somebody downstairs breaking into my townhouse. I’m getting ready to move to a third-floor apartment (which by nature is much more secure since it has no outside windows or entrances), which is part of the reason I felt comfortable listing my armor in the classifieds recently. I am, though, having second thoughts about selling anything. The world isn’t getting any safer. Just going into any urban area these days gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Then there’s range and training use... Yeah, safety rules are strict and all that, but accidents happen and people can do crazy things. Wearing armor probably makes a lot of sense anywhere bullets are flying around, even these highly-controlled environments.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    We are issued SAPI plates in a carrier just large enough to hold the plates. They weigh a TON. In uniform, I have to disconnect my ear piece and unclip my shoulder mic before throwing the plates over my uniform. I'm afraid that the fumbling, the fine motor skill required to make such movements, could put me in a position where I don't get my radio re-secured and/or lose my ability to hear it under stress. I think that with outer uniform vest carriers now, that could be addressed. It is possible I might get issued a uniform outer vest carrier WITH ultra lightweight rifle plates inside. Now THAT I would wear all the time and would love to have. I understand the scenario of home invasion. I had not thought of that, hence why I asked ;). Thanks.
    Denny, I hope they issue all you guys lighter, more practical armor in the near future! In the meantime, would it be worth regularly practicing doing what you describe (donning the armor then checking yourself over to make sure everything was right) on a regular basis?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've been thinking about armor for dealing with a home invasion. I reinforced the strike plates and hinges with 3" screws so they'll have to kick way more than once. I think that will give me time to put on some armor. What are your thoughts on that?

I'm curious why you wouldn't take the extra 15-30 secs to put on armor when responding to an active-murderer call. The pros seem to outnumber the cons:
    *Being rifle bullet resistant
    *Carrier also carrys and organizes extra gear/ammo
    *Plate Carrier can have a LEO placard to reduce the risk of "friendly fire" if you're off duty
    Door reinforcement FTW. They might break a window and take their chances with the glass edges, but they aren't getting through the reinforced steel front door. Side and back not as reinforced, but they are at the top of stairs so less possibility of a run-up.

Current plans: We both get on the far side of the waterbed, she calls 911, I get the firearm and armor (and hard-soled slippers to avoid broken glass) and move nearer the door or, if possible, near the top of the stairs. She throws a door key attached to a glowstick out into the driveway for LE use if perimeter is breached. The armor is somewhat heavy, but I won't be moving around too much if things work out. Plan is to let the professionals clear the house and we stay in the bedroom or very close by.

But no plan survives contact with reality.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Door reinforcement FTW. They might break a window and take their chances with the glass edges, but they aren't getting through the reinforced steel front door. Side and back not as reinforced, but they are at the top of stairs so less possibility of a run-up.

Current plans: We both get on the far side of the waterbed, she calls 911, I get the firearm and armor (and hard-soled slippers to avoid broken glass) and move nearer the door or, if possible, near the top of the stairs. She throws a door key attached to a glowstick out into the driveway for LE use if perimeter is breached. The armor is somewhat heavy, but I won't be moving around too much if things work out. Plan is to let the professionals clear the house and we stay in the bedroom or very close by.

But no plan survives contact with reality.
    Regarding plans meeting reality KISS helps...and yes, hardening the perimeter is #A. My thought is also to defend available choke points and let them come to me--if the alarm and "get the F out" don't change their plans

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Body armor is a PITA to wear, I've worn mine daily for 21 of my 24 years in LE. If you don't wear yours daily, what situations are you likely to encounter that will allow you the time to throw it on? I have rifle plates in my trunk, too heavy to wear daily and most likely will just sit there in an active shooter as I will not likely take to time to don them, too busy grabbing my rifle and going. It's an honest question.

Same. I can say I've rarely thrown on my SWAT carrier on while working when grabbing the rifle out of the vehicle on a call that warrants it. There's too much other **** to worry about. There have been exceptions such as stand offs where there is time to gear up or if I'm called out from home and not already in uniform.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Body armor is a PITA to wear, I've worn mine daily for 21 of my 24 years in LE. If you don't wear yours daily, what situations are you likely to encounter that will allow you the time to throw it on? I have rifle plates in my trunk, too heavy to wear daily and most likely will just sit there in an active shooter as I will not likely take to time to don them, too busy grabbing my rifle and going. It's an honest question.

Lots of potential scenarios if you live in a city. I keep a PC in my car as I commute through a few choke points that could easily get blocked during social unrest.

I've also got gear at home and stuff to train in. It's less about about daily scenarios and more about an overall awareness and self reliance in extraordinary situations. I've carried a pistol concealed just about everyday for the last 7 years and never had a use or need for it, let alone a daily need. For my use as a prepped the extra build of the (+) rated plates makes no real difference and is practical. I'm not wearing it all day.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I keep my PC in the trunk of my company car daily! Picked up a nice Warrior Assault Systems PC with some lightweight Level III+ plates from Kavanaugh Outdoors in Jeffersonville, IN. They are great to deal with and will help you to find the right setup for your needs. I have a full Med Kit on my PC as well. If i ever come up on someone in distress, I can peel it right off and get to work helping out. I am not going to go into further detail but I do keep another means of protection in my car other than my EDC....LOL

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    i have not lived my life on social media and didn't think any thing about it and was not yelling in my heart or brain

I don’t think all caps was a thing to do on typewriters either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    In our house, the wife and I actually have two different sets of armor. One of them I refer to as our "patrol" armor, it is your typical plate carrier with extra mags, first aid, radio, that sort of stuff. That is for SHTF or that kind of stuff. While we do practice with them on a semi regular basis, your right, i'm not wearing it every day.

We also have what I call our "home invasion" armor. It it a simple "old life vest" style carrier that you throw over your head and gives you a single lvl 3 soft plate on your chest. Since our home invasion plan wouldn't allow anyone to get behind us, that gives us the best protection we need very quickly (they are kept under the bed) since we can just throw them on, grab our rifles, and we are ready to go.

Top Bottom