• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just ordered up one of these. I figured it was more practical for most situations and has better coverage than a plate carrier and plates. I can always add rifle plates to it later. It was easy to find a 10% off coupon and the quadpay thing is pretty neat. Besides, they had my size in stock so I jumped on it.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Follow up: the thing shipped the same day. I’ll let you guys know later next week what I think of it, especially whether their sizing chart worked out and whether I can tolerate the thing and decide to keep it.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I received the Life Safe vest today. I’m impressed! It fits me perfectly (per their size chart). Since they offer about 10 different sizes, I didn’t expect them to nail it on the first try. It could actually be a bit larger… There’s probably an inch and a half gap on each side but I’m kind of fattened up for winter right now. I’m not going to gain weight. When I lose a little it will be spot-on. It’s a bit heavier than I expected, but this is because it has the extra “+” stab protection. If feels much heavier while handling it then it does while actually wearing it.

All the IIIA not + sizes were sold out because I guess people want the lighter vest (they’re also $100 cheaper). The soft armor panels in it are probably between 3/8 and 1/2 inch thick and they’re fairly stiff, but I’m sure they’ll break in. Screw it—if I feel like I’m going to a place where I want to wear this thing I might as well go for the maximum protection. It seems to be a sound investment in personal protection.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    So my promise date for delivery has come and gone, I have ordered one level 4 plate from AR500, I have been in contact with them most recently saying materials are hard to come by, I have been patient considering the crazy need to fill orders they have, my question is there a company that sells quality plates and carriers as ar500 does? Local or online,

Yup,
    Between ever changing tariffs over the last 4 years that drove a lot of importers to stop/quit,
    And COVID,
    And the Chinese New Year which goes in a month to six weeks,
    Imports have been a little slow to virtually non existent.

I bet they claimed it was US made, or in stock when you ordered it too!
    No one easier to take advantage of than a panic buyer...

Wanna buy some brass? Only $4 each!
    Wanna buy some projectiles? Only $4 each.
    Wanna buy some cartridges? Get on line and bid in the auction, some 9mm rounds just went for $6 each...

Ain't capatolism grand! ;)
    Gouge, cheat, steal, lie, anything for that almighty dollar!
    Get yours and screw everyone else...
    Used your money, THEN ordered from China, screw what they told you when you ordered, they have your money!

I'm making EXACTLY the same profit margin I was above costs before all this crap started again...
    It's a moral/ethics thing with me, I don't expect anyone to understand.

42 bulk bins of brass, 7 bulk bins of projectiles, I don't bother to count/estimate anymore, just buy it by the ton, or tons when it's available.

If you didn't see this round of "O'bamers Cumin' Fer Yur GUNS!" (Part 56...) When the civil unrest started, you are out of luck now.
    Primers at 2.5¢ per in bulk with free shipping back then, that was the time to stock up but when anyone mentioned it they got shouted down...

Funny how things turn out. :)

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just as an FYI, I called Safe Life Defense today to inquire about the weight, flexibility, and thickness difference between their IIIa and IIIa+ soft armor panels, as I was considering whether I might trade my IIIa+ concealable vest for a IIIa if iI could gain any advantages in wearability or comfort.

The rep told me they’re so similar that Safe Life color codes them (IIIa+ are red) so they can quickly differentiate in production. She advised me to stand pat, which I did.

I can’t say enough good things about this company. They’re fast, helpful, and a real, live human being always answers the phone. I’m sure I’ll be buying their tactical carrier, as well.

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    Just as an FYI, I called Safe Life Defense today to inquire about the weight, flexibility, and thickness difference between their IIIa and IIIa+ soft armor panels, as I was considering whether I might trade my IIIa+ concealable vest for a IIIa if iI could gain any advantages in wearability or comfort.

The rep told me they’re so similar that Safe Life color codes them (IIIa+ are red) so they can quickly differentiate in production. She advised me to stand pat, which I did.

I can’t say enough good things about this company. They’re fast, helpful, and a real, live human being always answers the phone. I’m sure I’ll be buying their tactical carrier, as well.

I was curious about their vest as I have been eyeing it for a bit. How noticable is the vest when you have it on?

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    It really depends on your build. It can be concealed under a jacket but you won’t get away with it with a T-shirt. If you have a round belly it kind of pooches out above your bellybutton. I need to lose some around the middle. Can’t blame the vest for that.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Sorry, if you mean comfort as in “how noticeable”, it’s very comfortable. You can really move around easily while wearing it and the weight just kind of becomes something you get used to it after a few minutes. I’m really happy with the comfort.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Armor update, finally after months of waiting my plate from AR500 will be here Sunday night, and from what others have said about other companies this is what iv found

AR500-level 4 $210
    Safe life defense-level 4 $152
    Tristar armory-level 4 $210
    Spartan armory-level 4 $650x 2 plates
    Shellback tactical-level 4 $340

So why the difference in prices?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Armor update, finally after months of waiting my plate from AR500 will be here Sunday night, and from what others have said about other companies this is what iv found

AR500-level 4 $210

How many months? When did you place your order?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    8-22-20 date of purchase, I can't be upset with the company considering the chaos of covid and "panic" and everything else the company had to deal with to try and fill orders I hope they get it all done.
    Ordered in November....I just hope they don't go out of business before I get my stuff! :)

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Great to hear that!

On the subject of Safe Life Defense, I got an email about their Presidents Day sale and called them up and asked if they had any sort of “30 day price protection” policy, and they said of course and promptly refunded me 10% of the cost of my vest. Really nice people and human beings always answer the phone. Good company.

Edit: this means my iiia+ vest cost under $450.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I'll bet you guys are getting tired of my Safe Life Defense posts, but I just learned something worth additionally passing on... That "Presidents' Day Sale" I mentioned is still going on (it's 10% off site-wide) AND you can apply one of the many 10% off coupons (such as "mrgunsngear") and the discounts are combined. Some of it is backordered up to 6 weeks, but I just ordered the "tactical carrier", a pair of Level IV ICW rifle plates, spare straps for both the tactical and concealed carriers, side armor for the tactical straps, and their nifty carry bag (which has pockets for rifle plates) and the whole works (including the original iiia+ vest which includes carrier and soft armor) comes in at ~$900 with the Quadpay thing. Figured it was now or never for much of this stuff.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

AR500-level 4 $210

I just noticed this. The Safe Life Defense rifle plates are ICW (in conjunction with), not stand alone. They’re only level IV when used with their level iiia body armor. That means they’re not NIJ rated, but NIJ doesn’t rate ICW plates.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My armor is shipping today....now I just need the carrier!

Duct taping it to myself would be hard

Top Bottom