• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So my promise date for delivery has come and gone, I have ordered one level 4 plate from AR500, I have been in contact with them most recently saying materials are hard to come by, I have been patient considering the crazy need to fill orders they have, my question is there a company that sells quality plates and carriers as ar500 does? Local or online,

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    So my promise date for delivery has come and gone, I have ordered one level 4 plate from AR500, I have been in contact with them most recently saying materials are hard to come by, I have been patient considering the crazy need to fill orders they have, my question is there a company that sells quality plates and carriers as ar500 does? Local or online,

I have personally corresponded with the owner several times. Unless the deal of the year comes along, I exclusively get my armor needs from him. Carries multiple MFG's, live inventory website, and super great folks. OH based and quick processing/shipping. I can't say enough good things.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville

I have personally corresponded with the owner several times. Unless the deal of the year comes along, I exclusively get my armor needs from him. Carries multiple MFG's, live inventory website, and super great folks. OH based and quick processing/shipping. I can't say enough good things.
    Thanks I will consider them for later purchases if AR500 cannot "deliver" as promised,

hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    LA police gear is now my go to for body armor. Level 3 and 4 hard plates(PE/Ceramic) for just over $100 a piece. I watched a lot of videos of torture tests before buying and they did very well. A few years ago I bought AR500 plates and carrier and after putting a few rifle mags, med kit, etc on it, it was ridiculously heavy. Swapping to a 5.11 carrier and lvl 4 LAPG plates made a WORLD of difference.

https://lapolicegear.com/duty-patrol/body-armor/hard-armor.html

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Get on Reddit, subscribe for gun deals alerts and get yourself some hesco 4401 or rma 1155 for cheaper and they are ceramic not steel.

Or if you gotta have them now and aren’t price sensitive these plates from tri state armor are awesome. I got a set when I was doing armed security this spring. 210 a plate for level 4 multi curve. Much lighter than the rma 1155 I have

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    LA police gear is now my go to for body armor. Level 3 and 4 hard plates(PE/Ceramic) for just over $100 a piece. I watched a lot of videos of torture tests before buying and they did very well. A few years ago I bought AR500 plates and carrier and after putting a few rifle mags, med kit, etc on it, it was ridiculously heavy. Swapping to a 5.11 carrier and lvl 4 LAPG plates made a WORLD of difference.

https://lapolicegear.com/duty-patrol/body-armor/hard-armor.html

Same for me. I have some level 3 & 4 plates from them.

I also saw RMA has plates in stock now too. They get pretty good reviews also

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm alittle confused on the LA police fear site, they have "special threat" what does that mean? I know that lV stops up to 30.06,
    Lapg plates are not NIJ certified, they claim to be able to pass but they do not send them in for certification. You decide what you want to trust your life to.

Level III is one that is I’ll stop a 7.62x51 m80 ball. Level 4 will stop a 30-06 m2ap.
    Special threat plates, specifically hesco l210 can stop several different kinds of light armor penetrating rounds like the 5.556 m855 or the 7.62x39 api. However it is not rated to stop 308 m80 ball.

you have to decide what kind of threat you are concerned with bc unless you shell out thousands it’s a trade off of weight vs protection.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I did NOT BUY from AR500 - Advertised WAIT TIMES are RIDICULOUS and NOT HONORED. I bought from Spartan Armor and still waited a little longer than advertised Delivery Times. I'm really tired of all of the COVID Excuses.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I ordered a full vest with level 4 front and rear plates. Came within a week. Got it from shellback tactical. I used the code tangodown to get a discount.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    From AR500 in email today

What happened?

We use a complex national and international supply chain to get you the highest quality and value possible. While all of our design and most of our production, including all of our armor, is done proudly in the United States, we also source some of our non-armor soft goods components from overseas assembly partners. Although many companies go to China to achieve cost savings, we have found the quality of goods sourced there to be insufficient for our brand standards and do not utilize their facilities.

In early December, a Japanese cargo ship carrying our components was hit by a massive storm in the mid-Pacific, resulting in the loss or damage of 2,000 cargo containers. A significant number of AR500 Armor® components were on board—millions of dollars’ worth of product that would be used to fill orders starting in mid-December. At the same time, another storm in the Gulf of Mexico delayed shipments of petroleum used in the production of our FragLock™ coating that we use on our armor. It seems that Murphy and his law were in full force, creating hurdles for our armor production as well as our textiles.

The cargo ship (seen below) turned around and headed to Japan, for safety and assessment.
    Container ship loses nearly 2,000 cargo carriers in Pacific storm
    What does it mean?

When the ship returned to Japan for the damage assessment, we were quoted a 4-week timeframe to learn how many of our components might have been damaged or lost; none, some, or even all of them; but there have been substantial delays. Damage to the ship was far greater than initially thought, and we have yet to receive the assessment even as of today.
    What are we doing?

• We are expediting newly completed shipments, at our expense. We are having the facility air freight completed orders to help offset time lost from this incident. This cuts the trans-pacific transit time from 3 weeks to a single day and increases the costs of shipping by approximately 1,000%.
    • We are expanding our in-house textile manufacturing to increase the size and capabilities of our in-house sewing facility in order to achieve economies of scale so that we can continue to offer a great value on our textile products while reducing the time it takes us to provide them to you when there’s a surge in demand or an act of God like this one.
    • We are expanding our domestic supply chain. Manufacturing always has lead times, which includes the transit time to ship the product. So, in addition to expanding our in-house textile team, we are building out stronger relationships with American contractors for soft goods production in the United States to help us cut lead times and deliver products quickly.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Besides the cost are there negatives to the FRAS armor from safe life? Seems too good to be true with the side protection and weight savings

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Besides the cost are there negatives to the FRAS armor from safe life? Seems too good to be true with the side protection and weight savings
    IMO there are better ways to spend your money. For one it seems like a ton of the 5.56 ammo I see now is 62 grain m855 ,not to mention the m855a1 ,one might encounter in these uncertain time this isn’t rated for it. These look to be tested at level III protection.

you can buy some of the lightest and best plates hesco has to offer for less money. Multicurve is relatively comfortable as far as plates come.

Tdlr: not rated for popular AR round m855 and too expensive

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

Seems like they have plates in stock

Top Bottom