• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    a farmer in extreme NE Hendricks county released a couple hundred on his farmland back in the 90s. I believe he was trying to help rebuild the ecosystem and help reduce pests. Not sure if there are any still around today.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Y’all know that pheasants are not native here, right?
    Haven’t heard or seen a quail up here in the northeast for more than 20 years. We just had a quail release at a local park this week. We’ll see how they do.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Y’all know that pheasants are not native here, right?
    Haven’t heard or seen a quail up here in the northeast for more than 20 years. We just had a quail release at a local park this week. We’ll see how they do.
    I did know that but they have been established for a couple hundred years (IIRC).

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Been awhile since I heard the song of Mr Bob White…… I’ve thought about looking into what it cost to raise them etc…. Release coveys here and there. A nice sound……

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    When shooting matches at Camp Atterbury I enjoy being early and talking/listening to Gentlemen Bob. On top of them being one of the most beautiful birds to watch.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    When shooting matches at Camp Atterbury I enjoy being early and talking/listening to Gentlemen Bob. On top of them being one of the most beautiful birds to watch.
    Atterbury is the last place I saw/flushed a grouse. It was in some thick stuff south of Stone Arch Lake on the DNR side of Hospital Road. I'd love to experience that again even if I can't hunt them.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    DDT and loss of habitats. I have some in the area. Normally we should start hearing them again soon. Once again the far distance neighbor a mile away has bird dogs.(GSP’s) I do believe most of the ones around are the ones raised and released for training the dogs. The smart ones don’t end up back in his catch pens and survive on the area well.

Nothing like what we used to have natural in the area but nice to have around anyway.
    DDT has been banned for decades and quail populations were at their height when DDT was in widespread use.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Speaking of declining game birds, how many here used to hunt ruffed grouse? back in the late 70’s and early 80’s it was my favorite animal to hunt - and they tasted GREAT. Now, thanks to the tree huggers, they have almost dissappeared from our state, so much so that there is no longer a hunting season for them.
    Grouse, quail, eastern whip-poor-will, all birds of my youth I never hear any more.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Grouse, quail, eastern whip-poor-will, all birds of my youth I never hear any more.
    Same here. We lived near a small woods and overgrown pasture. My dad and I saw a beautiful Ring-neck male pheasant one morning. Quail, Grouse, Bob-white, Woodcocks, and more. I was a "weird" kid and would sit quietly in the woods or field with a book or sketch pad, and observe the wildlife. Then starlings took over the woods. They crapped everywhere and the city deemed it a health hazard, and the woods was no more...

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    It's easy to blame the declining quail,turkey rabbit and other wildlife population on predators,but I honestly believe the # 1 culprit is no till farming and the wide spread use of weed killers-spray the fields with weed and insect killers at the time of year when young quail and turkeys diet is mostly insects and survival rates plummet.Probably second would be nest raiders-coons and possums.
    no-till gives an arrowhead hunter no place to look as well. I'd love to see some bottom plowed fields.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I flushed a grouse a couple of years ago while we were trying to push some deer out of a brushy point. It took me second to realize what I saw, it had been so long.

Top Bottom