• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Alright so I've heard mixed opinions from friends about this topic and figured someone on here should know for sure. I normally just fish private ponds and catch bass on smaller bluegill all day. I finally got my fishing permit for the year yesterday and want to go to the lake here soon. So my question is, is it legal in Indiana to use a Bluegill as bait?
    Ive used them at ponds for years, bass and catfish will take it all day. But if i go to a public lake I would rather not have any issues with conservation officers. Also, anyone know of any good spots in Noblesville this year?

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    bluegill have never been game fish.never

There is a state record for bluegill wouldn't that make it a game fish?
    Bluegill 3 lb. 4 oz. Pond, Greene Harold L. Catey 1972

Carp and gizzard shad cannot be used for bait with the exception of Brookville Lake which you can use gizzard shad there.

Last edited:

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    State record for carp as well.:dunno:

Asian Carp 53 lb. 8 oz. White River, Pike Duane Stafford 2000
    Common Carp 43 lb. 4 oz. Pike Lake, Kosciusko Russell Long 1989
    Grass Carp 65.2 lb. Private pond, Morgan David Hughes 2002
    Silver Carp 15 lb. 8oz. West Fork White River, Greene Daniel Keller 2003

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Because there are no bag or size limits set by the IN DNR for bluegill (except for J.C. Murphey Lake) doesn't mean they aren't gamefish. I believe, in fact, that they are.

For reference, I can point you to the International Gamefish Association (IGFA - International Game Fish Association). Or I can point you to the DNR website where they reference them as such http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3599.htm. Heck, they even publish them in the regulation book in the same chart as other sport fish.

Or, If you don't think the DNR considers them gamefish, go out in front of your local CO and use a throw net to catch a batch of bluegill for catfish bait, and see how he reacts.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    bluegill have never been game fish.never

Bluegill are a sport fish that cannot be obtained by use of commercial fishing devices. They do not have a bag/possession limit due to their rapid reproduction. They can take over a lake very easily. When stocked, they are typically stocked with predators and other hybrid sunfish so that their numbers stay balanced in relation to the carrying capacity of the water.
    Example would be Bluegill, Redear, and Largemouth Bass stocked together. Redear will grow much faster than the bluegill and will feed on the bluegill just like the bass do. But they do not reproduce as often as bluegill. If a bluegills population remains unchecked they will actually begin feeding on bass eggs/fry. Fish will always reproduce to the maximum carrying capacity of a body of water. This is why over prolonged periods of time other species struggle to keep BG populations in check.

Their population can sustain the heavy pressure of fishing, and fisherman are one of the main sources of maintaining a healthy population of the fish. Harvesting them is better for the overall health of the species in the water. That is why there is no bag/possession limit on them. However, yes they are still sport fish.

I hope this helps explain a bit. Just because there is no bag limit does not exclude them from being a sport fish. If you have any other questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

-dcary7

Top Bottom