• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As much as I would like to have a nice finished basement for extra living space and storage, it's stories like this that make me thankful I live on a slab!
    Or you spend the money you would normally spend on 2 new sets of furniture, drywall, etc and instead waterproof the damn basement so you dont have to keep spending it.

Oh, and work with what you have. Paint the blocks, dont drywall it, etc so that if it fails again, you have less to replace. Wife's grandparents got nailed twice until they waterproofed the basement. Epoxied the floor, sealed the walls using special vinyl paint, installed perimeter channels that lead to the sump pit, and put in double sumps with a tertiary water driven pump. It stayed dry as a bone until they passed away and sold the house.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Or you spend the money you would normally spend on 2 new sets of furniture, drywall, etc and instead waterproof the damn basement so you dont have to keep spending it.

Oh, and work with what you have. Paint the blocks, dont drywall it, etc so that if it fails again, you have less to replace. Wife's grandparents got nailed twice until they waterproofed the basement. Epoxied the floor, sealed the walls using special vinyl paint, installed perimeter channels that lead to the sump pit, and put in double sumps with a tertiary water driven pump. It stayed dry as a bone until they passed away and sold the house.
    Similar to what I have done. I dug up the ground down to the footers. Put in a french drain system. Put three levels of waterproofing on the outside. Then for kicks I painted Drylok on the inside.

I also repaired any cracks in the block and caulked the joint where the blocks meet the floor.

And I primed the floor and painted it before adding my final floor coverings.

I put a couple solid concrete retaining walls outside in strategic locations, again waterproofing those to divert any water that might get there, say, if a gutter got plugged.

I also graded the property better than it ever was. I'm fortunate to have rather wide soffits (25") so that helps too.

I did frame it out though and drywall it, but I feel pretty confident it's sealed for at least a few years.

Oh, and not only to I not have to run a dehumidifier anymore, my radon level when down from something in the 20's or 30's to less than 3.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    We probably got around 4" of rain. I thought we didn't have much damage after checking the property around the house and the lane. The pond was the color of coffee with lots of cream in it, which happens when we get more than 1" of rain.

Then I went to check the pond spillway. Oh wow! The spillway was heavily damaged. I've attached a picture of what the spillway looked like after I fixed it the last time and a picture of what it looks like today.
    Oh well, looks like I need to order a tri-axle load of clay and a load of large rip-rap.
    2019_04_17_Spillway repair2.JPG 2021_06_18_Spillway damage_10_sm file.png

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The picture and stories make me glad I live on top of a ridge.
    Ditto

(Edit) Technically not in town, but the cabin sits high between two deep ravines.

Officially - Poland got 5.49", Spencer got 7.41" we are situated between the two. Yesterday mid-day our normal route in was under water so we had to take a 12 mile detour to get in from the opposite side.
    007.jpg
    The car is disabled. The water further back was moving pretty swiftly. I'll guess it was 2 feet deep at that point.

003.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I got hammered, but nothing like some of the folks on here. I lost power at 6:50 Saturday morning and it didn't come back on again until Sunday around 2:00. Lost all the the food in the fridge, but that was the worst thing that happened. I did get a little water in my basement, but it was my own fault. I opened the basement door and water came pouring in. I've never seen water collect like at the door, so I wasn't prepared for it to come rushing in. I also didn't have any major limbs or tree damage, but man did I spent hours cleaning up small stuff.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Interesting thing I noticed over the past few days: I think that storm annihilated Bloomington's cicada population. I know they were nearing the end of their cycle somewhere around this time of year, but the town went silent after the storm. I think the sheer quantity of water washed them out of their trees and drowned them. :nuts:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting thing I noticed over the past few days: I think that storm annihilated Bloomington's cicada population. I know they were nearing the end of their cycle somewhere around this time of year, but the town went silent after the storm. I think the sheer quantity of water washed them out of their trees and drowned them. :nuts:
    I agree. They are virtually gone at my house.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Probably coincidental. I noticed on the drive south today, the hotspots along 67 between Mooresville and Martinsville were silent as well. I dont think that area was hit as hard.

Top Bottom