• Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Good luck, sir. You will need it.
    No kidding.
    We do get it in from time to time, but it sells out almost instantly. Not only that, but it now comes in 8oz containers instead of the 10oz containers it used to come in (at the same price). It's also outrageously expensive ($71.97 plus tax, for 8 oz!) when we do have it.
    The distributor usually won't send me more than a few cases at a time...

Also, be careful if you try to order it online. The majority of places that have it "in stock" are SCAMS!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    According to my distributor, I'll be getting more than 10 cases of Blackhorn 209 in the next week or 2. I should be able to sell it with no limit, for awhile at least.
    How many bottles per case, and do you know what you'll be asking per bottle?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Ten bottles per case (they are now only 8oz. bottles, they changed them from the previous 10oz. bottles a few months ago). The price is the same as last time, $71.97 plus tax ($77 out the door).

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I haven’t bought ANY powder muzzle loading type for at least 20 years, that price is almost unbelievable. If Brian’s Surplus had not said it I would not have believed it. I offered to give someone on here a couple packs of pyrodex pellets back before deer season, they refused the offer. They were set on that name, must be something really great.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I haven’t bought ANY powder muzzle loading type for at least 20 years, that price is almost unbelievable. If Brian’s Surplus had not said it I would not have believed it. I offered to give someone on here a couple packs of pyrodex pellets back before deer season, they refused the offer. They were set on that name, must be something really great.
    The price really is unbelievable. If I wasn't familiar with it at all or I did not know how high demand was, there is no way I would consider stocking it at the current price. Regular Pyrodex is $23.37 per #. The pellets are $14.02 for 24 if I remember correctly.
    I don't understand why the Blackhorn 209 is so expensive (other than perhaps the fact that Hodgdon figured out that they can get away with it). We have seen an increase in price from all powders that come from Canada, but nothing like this. The price is approaching $10 per ounce! Hodgdon claims that they have no control over how much is produced. They have had supply issues since they purchased the brand along with Western Powders in late 2020. All of the issues affecting the rest of the firearms industry in this time frame seem to have created the perfect storm with pricing on this particular product.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The price really is unbelievable. If I wasn't familiar with it at all or I did not know how high demand was, there is no way I would consider stocking it at the current price. Regular Pyrodex is $23.37 per #. The pellets are $14.02 for 24 if I remember correctly.
    I don't understand why the Blackhorn 209 is so expensive (other than perhaps the fact that Hodgdon figured out that they can get away with it). We have seen an increase in price from all powders that come from Canada, but nothing like this. The price is approaching $10 per ounce! Hodgdon claims that they have no control over how much is produced. They have had supply issues since they purchased the brand along with Western Powders in late 2020. All of the issues affecting the rest of the firearms industry in this time frame seem to have created the perfect storm with pricing on this particular product.
    I don’t hunt BP any more, turned it into wall art. Still got about 8 packs of factory Pyro. Pels. In factory cellophane 50 gr. I believe. I’m waiting for components to drop a bit so I can stock up for the rest of my life and probably my heirs. I’ve still got a small to medium amount of everything for maybe 5 pistol cals. and 3-4 rifle cals. Down to less than a bag n a half of lead shot. I need good smokeless powder the most. W-231 if I can find it. Some H 4227 (I think), and some Greendot. Then of course primers. I’m watching your posts. We may meet. I use the fellow in Logansport mostly though. He’s only about an hour away. Good holiday season to you.

Last edited:

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I don’t hunt BP any more, turned it into wall art. Still got about 8 packs of factory Pyro. Pels. In factory cellophane 50 gr. I believe. I’m waiting for components to drop a bit so I can stock up for the rest of my life and probably my heirs. I’ve still got a small to medium amount of everything for maybe 5 pistol cals. and 3-4 rifle cals. Down to less than a bag n a half of lead shot. I need good smokeless powder the most. W-231 if I can find it. Some H 4227 (I think), and some Greendot. Then of course primers. I’m watching your posts. We may meet. I use the fellow in Logansport mostly though. He’s only about an hour away. Good holiday season to you.
    H4227 is discontinued, they still make IMR 4227. We had IMR 4227 and W231 in stock before I left for the show in Crown Point. Green Dot sold out in a couple hours the last time I got any. We do get primers in about once a month, but they usually sell out in a day or two. We have been able to keep 209 shotgun primers on the shelf consistently. We have pallets of lead shot.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Are you in Kokomo? Indy? I don’t remember. But wherever you are was the reason I haven’t visited yet if memory serves me correctly. H*** I may get a wild hair anyway, always a hoot to meet a fellow INGO’er.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    H4227 is discontinued, they still make IMR 4227. We had IMR 4227 and W231 in stock before I left for the show in Crown Point. Green Dot sold out in a couple hours the last time I got any. We do get primers in about once a month, but they usually sell out in a day or two. We have been able to keep 209 shotgun primers on the shelf consistently. We have pallets of lead shot.
    I used the Hogden powder for my pet 270 load. Is the IMR a stick powder? If I rember they had some similar characteristics?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Are you in Kokomo? Indy? I don’t remember. But wherever you are was the reason I haven’t visited yet if memory serves me correctly. H*** I may get a wild hair anyway, always a hoot to meet a fellow INGO’er.
    We are 3.5 miles east of the Kokomo bypass.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I used the Hogden powder for my pet 270 load. Is the IMR a stick powder? If I rember they had some similar characteristics?
    Yes, IMR4227 is a stick powder.

On another forum, I found this. I CAN'T VERIFY IF THIS IS TRUE:

"THE new IMR4227 is the old H4227 renamed. The old IMR4227 is now discontinued. So there is only one now being currently produced. Old H4227 and newer IMR4227 data is what you want."

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yes, IMR4227 is a stick powder.

On another forum, I found this. I CAN'T VERIFY IF THIS IS TRUE:

"THE new IMR4227 is the old H4227 renamed. The old IMR4227 is now discontinued. So there is only one now being currently produced. Old H4227 and newer IMR4227 data is what you want."
    Thank you sir.

Top Bottom