• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigC7140

Plinker
    Sep 17, 2019
    Gaston
    Hey everyone!

New to posting here. I am an avid deer hunter, have been since age 10. With more limited time to hunt I am looking to extend my season with a muzzleloader. I am interested in new but also used in good condition. What is the best combo out there for the money? Suggestions on cleaning supplies, what grain bullet to start with, powder choice, etc. Thanks in advance!

two70

Master
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    For ease of cleanup and performance it is hard to beat a Savage ML II shooting smokeless powder but they are no longer made and you can expect to pay $600+ used. If your budget covers it and especially if you have any interest in possibly hunting in western states, the CVA Paramount should be given a long look. It is expensive at $850, but is a lot muzzleloader for the money. Blackhorn 209, Triple Seven, and White Hots are all popular black powder substitutes that make cleanup much easier. Bullet weight will depend on the caliber of muzzleloader you choose and personal preference on bullets. Simple isopropyl alcohol works well as a cleaning solvent for powder residue and evaporates quickly.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Nov 23, 2009
    Used TC Hawken rifles is what I have.
    I use Olde Eyensford fffg with both .50&.54 caliber. The .50 calibers are usually more popular. I get all my bullets when they start marking them down.
    I use dawn soap and warm water. Then swab with bore butter when done.
    for long term storage I drop the hammer and fill with WD40 or Kroil. I recently found some of the foam WD40. It kind of turns to grease over time but fully coats the barrel.
    when bringing out of storage I half cock it and take it outside and drain it and take after it with dry patches that consist of t-shirts that my wife tries to throw away or rags that are still in my pocket from work.
    I always fire a few caps to finish drying any left over oil and crud in between the bolster and barrel.
    when you mess with them for a while it really isn’t that bad.
    I know some don’t do this but I usually do this when shooting.
    After I shoot I put a dry patch in my mouth and usually more than wet enough by the time I get the jag attached to the ram rod. I swab with both sides of that patch. I then take a patch with bore butter and swab with both sides of this patch. I then take a dry patch and use both sides of this patch. This will still leave a little bore butter down the bore which will ease your next loading and make cleaning a little easier when done shooting.
    I do this for 3 reasons. My first shot was with a clean barrel when hunting. Secondly, sometimes when powder is burnt there is a crud ring in between where the powder and where the bullet(or patched ball) was after firing. This should be removed so you don’t leave a gap between the powder charge and next loaded projectile which could be bad for pressure. Third is this also makes sure that there will be no hot embers left in the barrel when pouring powder down the barrel for the next loading.
    All of these steps only take a couple minutes and again isn’t really all bad.

bobjones223

Master
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If you are new to muzzle loading please don't try and track down a Savage smokeless powder ML.

These were discontinued for a reason. People were blowing themselves up.

Black powder is very forgiving with powder charges if you are off by 20-50 grains no big deal... just an "Um that was a stout load!".

With smokeless if you are off by 10 grain you have a hand grenade by your face.

jrbarnes

Plinker
    Sep 22, 2018
    Plainfield
    If looking for a budget modern inline. The CVA Wolf is not a bad choice. I have one and haven't had an issue with jt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If you're just looking to shoot deer, any of the modern CVA rifles are excellent shooters. If you're looking for an older style sidelock, I'd buy a new Lyman plains rifle or a used TC hawken or renegade. As always, my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I’ve hunted with in lines and traditional cap lock guns since the late 90’s. Still have same Knight from 1997 and it’s good. That said, the new CVA Optima/Wolf/Accura are nice and I recommend as I have the Optima.
    Learn to properly clean, lube, maintain. It’s not hard just takes a little time. Dawn dish soap and water for anything other than Blackhorn 209 powder and non petroleum lube in the bore

Restroyer

Expert
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Hey everyone!

New to posting here. I am an avid deer hunter, have been since age 10. With more limited time to hunt I am looking to extend my season with a muzzleloader. I am interested in new but also used in good condition. What is the best combo out there for the money? Suggestions on cleaning supplies, what grain bullet to start with, powder choice, etc. Thanks in advance!

I use this setup:
    CVA Wolf: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...209+magnum+break-action+50cal+24"+blued/black
    250 grain version of Barnes Spit Fire T-EZ:https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...spit-fire-t-ez-sabots/740899.uts#BVQAWidgetID
    These primers: https://www.federalpremium.com/muzzleloading/11-PMZ209.html
    This for my powder pellets(2): https://www.natchezss.com/imr-powder-white-hots-pellets.html
    I find that combo has been very accurate for me.

Top Bottom