• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So if a guy was in the market for a flintlock rifle, Revolution periodish correct. What are some recommendations on a budget? Something to play around with, don’t mind a project, just to enjoy the nostalgia experience and have a talking piece.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    So if a guy was in the market for a flintlock rifle, Revolution periodish correct. What are some recommendations on a budget? Something to play around with, don’t mind a project, just to enjoy the nostalgia experience and have a talking piece.
    Check out Kibler longrifles. The quality is excellent. Bout 1100.00 with shipping.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    #11 percussion caps:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    #11 percussion caps:
    Wow they are charging $38 to ship plus hazmat fee. That's insane.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Well, I finally took the new Kentucky rifle innawoods and test fired it. Shooting flintlock is a new experience for me. It's going to be VERY challenging to get this thing sighted in without winging shots all over the place. I missed a soda bottle at 10 yards thanks to my flint flinch. :nuts: But, I was using 2F in the flashpan because I haven't scored any 4F yet.

After the sixth shot I had the bright idea to swab the bore to see if I could get a few more before fouling put a stop to it. I was rewarded with the rod, jag, and patch spontaneously welding themselves to the bottom of the bore. So, that was it for shooting today.

At home I pulled the lock and touchhole insert, blasted some balistol into the hole to soak the patch, and was able to work it out by grabbing the ramrod with pliers and using a screwdriver as a fulcrum to lever it out. Luckily I was using a fiberglass rod instead of the wooden one. A 3/8 brass one piece ramrod with a T-handle is next on the shopping list, as there's nothing to smack with a hammer on the fiberglass rod to thrust it out of the barrel.

Those six shots were pretty sweet, though. Despite the difficulty, I feel good about going flintlock. At this point I've shot representative examples of just about everything from WWI to slick modern guns, but this is an entirely new experience and skill set. That click-BOOM is something else.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Those Harper's Ferry pistols are super neat. Kinda want one.

I got out today, made the trip to Deer Creek Products to thank them in person for this rifle kit and pick up some odds and ends. Worth the trip. Then, headed out to HNF and shot this group offhand at about 15 yards. Nothing to write home about, but at least confirms the sights aren't wildly off. I put 4F in the priming pan this time, seems a little faster but not dramatically different from 2F. Had a couple failures to fire as the flint wore out (probably 30 strikes on it now). Did NOT get the ramrod stuck.

Cleans up fast when you plug the touchhole and fill the bore with hot teakettle water and a bit of soap. Let it set, dump it, flush it a few times, swab and oil. Easy peasy.

Yeah, money is getting dropped on a companion pistol soon...

1FQFOtY.jpg

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I picked up mine off used and for about $300 below list. It's a pretty nice pistol, though for some reason Pedersoli made them rifled and .58 caliber, instead of smoothbore .54. Not sure why, other than maybe it let them use a standard barrel size with a bunch of their other Civil War type guns? :dunno:

jrbarnes

Plinker
    Sep 22, 2018
    Plainfield
    Those Harper's Ferry pistols are super neat. Kinda want one.

I got out today, made the trip to Deer Creek Products to thank them in person for this rifle kit and pick up some odds and ends. Worth the trip. Then, headed out to HNF and shot this group offhand at about 15 yards. Nothing to write home about, but at least confirms the sights aren't wildly off. I put 4F in the priming pan this time, seems a little faster but not dramatically different from 2F. Had a couple failures to fire as the flint wore out (probably 30 strikes on it now). Did NOT get the ramrod stuck.

Cleans up fast when you plug the touchhole and fill the bore with hot teakettle water and a bit of soap. Let it set, dump it, flush it a few times, swab and oil. Easy peasy.

Yeah, money is getting dropped on a companion pistol soon...

1FQFOtY.jpg
    I also just built on of those KY rifle kits! Definitely not as well done of yours, but I was happy with my first attempt
    1cd665768d116f5b05fcab153b250d86.jpg
    2e87d8f49de0d4001db270d5b7712448.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I also just built on of those KY rifle kits! Definitely not as well done of yours, but I was happy with my first attempt
    1cd665768d116f5b05fcab153b250d86.jpg
    2e87d8f49de0d4001db270d5b7712448.jpg

Nice! How's the ramrod retention?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Very tight. It seems that my last thimble is smaller i diameter than the first 2

Interesting. My thimbles are fine but the retention spring is crazy tight. If I push the ramrod all the way in, I have to beat it out.

jrbarnes

Plinker
    Sep 22, 2018
    Plainfield
    Interesting. My thimbles are fine but the retention spring is crazy tight. If I push the ramrod all the way in, I have to beat it out.
    Interesting. Could it be the curve of that spring? Putting too much force downward

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    If all you have is 2f, just roll some on a paper towel to remove the graphite coating- it'll go fast.
    Knap EVERY shot!
    Wipe your Frizzell face EVER shot.
    A flintlock if it's timed right is as fast as a perc.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    If you were at Deer Creek (I used to work(sic) there) you were close to me.
    Let me know if you're going again- we can hook up and shoot at my place!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Anyone have a single shot BP gun they'd be willing to sell/trade? .45-50, deringer, or traditional....

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I picked up one of those made-in-India replica flintlock pistols this week. The bore is laughably non-concentric and the front sight is easily 1/8" off center. I may file it off entirely.

Broke two drill bits drilling the 1/16" touchhole, and got very lucky on having just enough of a nub remaining to grab both and pull them out. It also had to be drilled a little off center to the pan to clear the breach plug (which was not threaded and could not be removed for drilling).

Should be passable for dicking around with, but I definitely would not go the India route for a long gun.

Top Bottom