• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    As a 50-year black powder hunter and competitive shooter I have seen this sport go in two directions. It started out as people reenacting the ways of the past. patch and round ball, craftsmanship of building a working firearm - the thrill of the stalk.one shot one kill. 20 years ago, the divide started. The inline, 300-yard shooting, scope mounted, pellet powered, copper jacketed bullets. For many it added another hunting season --For me it lost the meaning of a muzzle loader.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Different strokes for different folks. Technology and times change, I’m sure the local newspapers aren’t thrilled with the internet.

But I agree I wish more people appreciated the history of things. I can appreciate both sides.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah I don't really see any point in black powder unless I'm doing historic stuff. Love my flintlocks even though I spent waaaaaaaaaay too much money on them.

But, then again, I'm not a super dedicated deer hunter who really wants to exploit that extra muzzleloader season.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    When I think "deer rifle," I think of my New Englander sidelock. I'm not huge until deer hunting, but that's what I take when I do go.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As a 50-year black powder hunter and competitive shooter I have seen this sport go in two directions. It started out as people reenacting the ways of the past. patch and round ball, craftsmanship of building a working firearm - the thrill of the stalk.one shot one kill. 20 years ago, the divide started. The inline, 300-yard shooting, scope mounted, pellet powered, copper jacketed bullets. For many it added another hunting season --For me it lost the meaning of a muzzle loader.

Nothing is saying you cannot use the old ways. Wear buckskin britches, shoot a hand built muzzle loader, make your own powder if it makes you happy. Or you can go traditional one day and modern the next. It is a free country.

I have both types of gear. I even use pyrodex sometimes. I am happy for you either way.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

There used to be a thread on INGO re: "traditional hunting". Guys did it up right....period equipment, camp, clothing, etc.

I really wish I could find it....maybe somebody here can.

It was VERY cool.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

If not for the muzzy deer season, there would be no muzzle loading for me. And I would not have an Encore.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    There used to be a thread on INGO re: "traditional hunting". Guys did it up right....period equipment, camp, clothing, etc.

I really wish I could find it....maybe somebody here can.

It was VERY cool.

You keep telling me about it in multiple threads we need a mods help lol can we page someone? Searching is tough here

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    The heartbreaking thing for me as a younger guy (late 20's) is that this sport as a whole is fading as the old get older and the young get interested in other things.

I want to just go to Friendship and soak up as much as I can learn while it's still around.

For me the gateway drug was a $180 Remington New Model Army made by Uberti in 1972. I picked it up at Double G guns in Flat Rock when I first moved to Indiana. I knew I was gonna love black powder the moment I touched off the first cylinder full. The smoke, the noise, the smell, the ritual of loading and cleaning. I like it all.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    The heartbreaking thing for me as a younger guy (late 20's) is that this sport as a whole is fading as the old get older and the young get interested in other things.

I want to just go to Friendship and soak up as much as I can learn while it's still around.

For me the gateway drug was a $180 Remington New Model Army made by Uberti in 1972. I picked it up at Double G guns in Flat Rock when I first moved to Indiana. I knew I was gonna love black powder the moment I touched off the first cylinder full. The smoke, the noise, the smell, the ritual of loading and cleaning. I like it all.

Agreed. I have made MANY similar posts to yours. I love seeing all the older guys still getting after it but not nearly as many around to fill their shoes.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    I would have loved to been a fly on a tree at Friendship back in the 70's. So many stories of the trade blankets and shenanigans.
    Yeah most everything I like is withering away. The “old ways” oh well just have to do my best to learn, preserve, & pass on the best I can.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Traditional archers hate the compounds, compounds hate the crossbow.
    Same old argument, I have it all except the crossbow. Variety is the spice of life.

When I want to kill a deer in crap weather I take my TC inline. When the challenge calls I'll take my flinter.
    Id say the divide among arrow slingers is vertical bows vs x bows. I've been shooting trad since 85 as have my buds and even w custom recurves we still shoot wheels and release.

As for BP...I like sidehammers, percussion. Have had inlines and they worked great but werent fun. As I got older came to dislike BP in general.
    Still have my Hawken Silver Elite in case i need it for a late season buck.
    But I dont shoot it for fun. Its now just a tool.

BTW shot my dads Ruger Old Army way back and did not like it.

Guess im just too modern LOL

Reactions: Leo

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    When visiting Friendship several years ago I could not believe some of those new fangled blackpowder trap shotguns. They appeared to be black powder Perazzi's or Ljutics.

I've hunted deer with traditional bows, compound, sidelock ML and an Encore along with shotgun. Think I wish to try throwing an atlatl but would not hunt with one.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    I would have loved to been a fly on a tree at Friendship back in the 70's. So many stories of the trade blankets and shenanigans.
    I don't know if you would call it shenanigans,we all got together for a mulligan stew, Everything from possum to skunk was tossed in, A little moon shine for a kicker and then we would play split the hawk handle. $10- draw for order - and rotate- late man that could keep throwing his hawk and sticking it won the pot. Great memories.

Top Bottom