• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So guessing even if you do not subscribe to service they are reviewing to some degree?

p.s not all alphabet crowd people are bad
    Things are less clear if you're not subscribed to their service as most have a mandatory account setup now. I would expect that they aren't saving anything without a subscription and probably against policy to be viewing live video but just like laws that doesn't always stop it from happening.

I would also never advocate that all of any particular crowd is bad. Most likely quite the opposite, we only hear about the bad ones. Only wanted to point out that they will most likely get handed any info they ask for. Sometimes with warrant and sometimes without. Same is true for the service providers, I doubt they are purposely viewing/searching everyone's recordings/live video but they certainly have the capability and it could be abused by bad actors in or outside of the company.

It would be fantastic to see a company provide a service like this with NO ability to read the data they are storing and while I haven't researched it, I doubt this exists even though it is technically possible.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Things are less clear if you're not subscribed to their service as most have a mandatory account setup now. I would expect that they aren't saving anything without a subscription and probably against policy to be viewing live video but just like laws that doesn't always stop it from happening.

I would also never advocate that all of any particular crowd is bad. Most likely quite the opposite, we only hear about the bad ones. Only wanted to point out that they will most likely get handed any info they ask for. Sometimes with warrant and sometimes without. Same is true for the service providers, I doubt they are purposely viewing/searching everyone's recordings/live video but they certainly have the capability and it could be abused by bad actors in or outside of the company.

It would be fantastic to see a company provide a service like this with NO ability to read the data they are storing and while I haven't researched it, I doubt this exists even though it is technically possible.
    From what I have read it seems as long as you do not set up cloud based service you might be ok? We were looking at using an external on site hard drive to store events. I am still kind of on the fence about it.

Not wanting to imply that you were saying all of the alphabet crowd were bad. But reality is a lot of things never come to fruition because of a lot of hard work and dedication at lower levels.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    From what I have read it seems as long as you do not set up cloud based service you might be ok? We were looking at using an external on site hard drive to store events. I am still kind of on the fence about it.

Not wanting to imply that you were saying all of the alphabet crowd were bad. But reality is a lot of things never come to fruition because of a lot of hard work and dedication at lower levels.
    It's mostly a personal preference thing. IMO you're generally fine to use the cloud service providers, but don't be surprised if they hand over info to certain parties. If you don't use their services then they're likely limited to only being able to view live feeds, keep in mind I note this a technical possibility, not something I would expect to be happening sans extreme circumstances. If you're ok with these caveats, you should be fine.

If you want to be 100% clear you would need cameras that do not use the internet for anything and instead connect to a local NVR on in your possession and under your control. These are usually less user friendly and sometimes more expensive but certainly not out of reach if you're invested in learning how it all works.

Never thought you were calling out my position on the alphabet agencies, just wanted to clarify my thoughts. :)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It's mostly a personal preference thing. IMO you're generally fine to use the cloud service providers, but don't be surprised if they hand over info to certain parties. If you don't use their services then they're likely limited to only being able to view live feeds, keep in mind I note this a technical possibility, not something I would expect to be happening sans extreme circumstances. If you're ok with these caveats, you should be fine.

If you want to be 100% clear you would need cameras that do not use the internet for anything and instead connect to a local NVR on in your possession and under your control. These are usually less user friendly and sometimes more expensive but certainly not out of reach if you're invested in learning how it all works.

Never thought you were calling out my position on the alphabet agencies, just wanted to clarify my thoughts. :)
    Thanks, I am going to do some research.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members