• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never did the "black Friday" crazy stuff. Several of the women in the family would make an event of it. They would plan for weeks, and the night before they would book a hotel room near the shopping area so the could catch the early bird store sales. They would hit the schedule and shop until midnight as long as the stores were open. They are insane if you ask me, but as they reminded me; "no one asked you"

Even past my disdain for black Friday events is the lack of variety in stores. For the last 25 years, it seems that every store in the mall has the same selection of the same poor quality (with some trendy name on it) merchandise. It is like they all share the same purchasing department. The "better" stores charge a lot more but it is the same inferior merchandise made in the same asian slave shops. The book store and Radio Shack are out of our mall, I just do not go there any more.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I never did the "black Friday" crazy stuff. Several of the women in the family would make an event of it. They would plan for weeks, and the night before they would book a hotel room near the shopping area so the could catch the early bird store sales. They would hit the schedule and shop until midnight as long as the stores were open. They are insane if you ask me, but as they reminded me; "no one asked you"
    This! Did not hear a single thing from anyone about doing this type of thing. Hence my question have retailers killed the golden goose?

Reactions: Leo

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    NSSF said that for all of last week, there were 711,372 instant background checks.

The surge in interest and sales came as President Joe Biden threatened again to ban the sales of the most popular types of firearms, semi-automatic pistols and modern sporting rifles, and after recent highly publicized shootings.

Gun stores have told Secrets that Biden’s threat and shootings have boosted sales to women and minorities who are concerned about their safety. What’s more, support for more gun laws has melted away recently, according to Gallup, and concealed carry permits have surged past 20 million.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I took my wife to work on black Friday and the parking lot at Greenwood Mall looked packed.

I do most of my shopping online. It's just so easy and efficient it is very difficult to find a reason to go in person for most things. Clothing I haven't bought before (especially shoes), hardware items, and groceries are about it for me for in person.

Couldn't participate in cyber Monday this year, wouldn't be home to receive packages.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This! Did not hear a single thing from anyone about doing this type of thing. Hence my question have retailers killed the golden goose?
    Thanksgiving night, my wife, mother in law, daughter, and soon to be daughter in law all sat around the table looking at their phones trying to find good sales. They basically did their Black Friday shopping in about an hour and a half and never left the house.

I think it’s only a matter of time till shopping malls fade into history. Aside from grocery stores and hardware lumber yard type places, there’s only a few brick and mortar stores that you sometimes can’t avoid having to physically go to. And most online retail doesn’t have to worry about more merchandise being stolen than bought.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not sure how you are figuring they killed the Golden Goose when it's mostly these same retailers selling online (with the notable exception of Amazon) For the most part, very few retailers of scale that are still surviving if not thriving, haven't adopted significant online strategies. Black Friday has changed, including being spread out over more time, and evolved. I guess some would argue it's not as good as it used to be 40 years ago.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I did my Black Friday shopping from the couch Friday morning. The one big ticket item, a MacBook Air to replace an aging MacBook Pro, we did local pick up at Best Buy at 7 pm. In and out in under 10 minutes.

In between, I repainted the kitchen. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We go out on Black Friday every year and last year was the shortest line we had seen at Menards. This year was a little longer….. but not much. Pretty soon we will have a Coca Cola iv and puréed McDonald’s we can just sit on our power mobile chairs staring at a screen.

I forgot it was Black Friday, and I went to Menards to get some stuff for my light show.
    Saw the parking lot, and turned around and went home.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I forgot it was Black Friday, and I went to Menards to get some stuff for my light show.
    Saw the parking lot, and turned around and went home.
    Well I was there when they opened and it was DEAD compared to years past.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Whoa there!!! You are going to be accused of being soft if you don’t like like lines, crowds, and the lowest echelons of society telling you what to do. So stop hiding in your house being afraid to get out there to get those deals to live the good life!

At least that is what I was told on INGO…
    Oh I know, I read it all.
    Glad you caught the reference.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not sure how you are figuring they killed the Golden Goose when it's mostly these same retailers selling online (with the notable exception of Amazon) For the most part, very few retailers of scale that are still surviving if not thriving, haven't adopted significant online strategies. Black Friday has changed, including being spread out over more time, and evolved. I guess some would argue it's not as good as it used to be 40 years ago.
    My comments were not about the money spent but the energy, the momentum, of what was once a special day is dying.

I am a part of the change, I buy mostly online…

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom