• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In years past Black Friday seemed huge but it now seems like a dud. I saw ads about it but heard no buzz among people. We usually hear about shoppers bad behavior, I never saw anything like that. Have the retailer’s killed the golden goose?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    So much of it is done online now, almost not worth committing a violent assault to save a buck or two.
    The wife bought appliances for the house from Lowe's from her recliner and me in a deer blind and saved north of a thousand bucks. She then done most of our Christmas shopping between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, all without dragging me to all the retail hells of previous Black Fridays. I assume many others done the same.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Black Friday gets it's name from there being enough sales to put companion in the black. Sure online seabafe great but I wonder if a few years of black Friday being a slow sales day of some retailers will start to die on the vine much like our malls.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    From what I heard, and I find it hard to believe, that Black Friday set records, Cyber Monday set records, and one I never heard of before, Giving Tuesday also set records for donations. Very interesting.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    i don't get too excited, the good stuff is never on much of a sale it seems. many of the sales are products made specifically to sell on sale. similar to outlet mall or TJ Maxx store inventory now.
    Yep, TV’s with last gen software, fewer HDMI ports, etc. are examples. Not a gamer but games on sale were huge but I suspect those are purchased digitally online now not physically. I have been working on projects and everything I ordered came like clockwork last weekend.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just found this:

“The days of long lines and fights over highly sought-after products may really be dead.”

“While in-store shopping was more in focus this year due to loosening COVID-19 restrictions, that doesn’t mean there was a return to the old chaos of Black Friday shopping. Several analysts noted that traffic was brisk and certainly apparent at a variety of stores, but didn’t have the long wait lines the holiday used to be infamous for.”

“People have been shopping today. We’d expected brisk traffic and big sales numbers. We got the brisk traffic, and we’ll soon know if that translated into positive numbers for the retailers,” Katherine Black, partner in the consumer practice of Kearney, said in emailed comments Friday evening. “In Raleigh, [North Carolina] we visited a wide range of stores (Target, Best Buy, Macy’s, Bass Pro Shop) and while all of them had shopper traffic, none of them had early morning lines, or completely full parking lots or long lines.”

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    From what I saw personally in a few stores Tuesday afternoon was many of the Black Friday sale items were still in stock. Some still had the Black Friday price. Better inventory management or less people buying the items?

One of the normal sales I watch for are the Home Depot Milwaukee power tools sales. 96th street fishers location normally runs out of the three tools starter kits and whatever little item (drill bit set, hole saw bits ect) before the Black Friday afternoon time frame. Still in stock tuesday. Costco TV sale castleton still had a pallet of the super sale TV’s but that one does not count as much since you have to be a member. I did run into a sell out at ACE hardware on the chainsaw but I wanted a few more cc engine than the sale one (was thinking maybe buy two of the sale ones to backup each other) the sale ones were all sold out early Black Friday according to the clerk.

i do not think people are buying like they had before but I bet the numbers will reflect that everything is normal nothing to see here.

I went ahead and passed on everything Black Friday this year. Now the wife has had a constant flow of packages dropped off at the door so looks like you guys said just order from the chair and have them bring it to you.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Without going into details why... I found myself in a mall on the outskirts of Baltimore on Black Friday. It was nearly impossible to find a parking spot in the first place, drove around for ages looking for a spot, the stores were crowded as all get out, the restaurants and food court were packed to the point that it was impossible to get anything to eat. We were unable to purchase much of anything because they were invariably sold out of the size we needed. It appeared to me like a normal Black Friday.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    D1037D4E-AF09-4854-9229-30CD7E0C785F.jpeg
    I’d rather pay full price than be treated like cattle in a feedlot. I’d really rather buy nothing at all, but that’s not how any of this works.
    I’d rather fly than participate in Black Friday!

I’ve thought for a long time that we were being manipulated by the press and the retailers working together.
    Kind of how “The Social Dilemma” explains the internet nowadays, this was a social experiment precursor to the marketing on the internet.

I may be jaded and cynical, I don’t know.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    We go out on Black Friday every year and last year was the shortest line we had seen at Menards. This year was a little longer….. but not much. Pretty soon we will have a Coca Cola iv and puréed McDonald’s we can just sit on our power mobile chairs staring at a screen.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Pretty soon we will have a Coca Cola iv and puréed McDonald’s we can just sit on our power mobile chairs staring at a screen.
    Wall-E-2-fat-humans-1024x426.jpg

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    View attachment 240240
    I’d rather pay full price than be treated like cattle in a feedlot. I’d really rather buy nothing at all, but that’s not how any of this works.
    I’d rather fly than participate in Black Friday!

I’ve thought for a long time that we were being manipulated by the press and the retailers working together.
    Kind of how “The Social Dilemma” explains the internet nowadays, this was a social experiment precursor to the marketing on the internet.

I may be jaded and cynical, I don’t know.
    1670071295489.png
    Actually I never go to any retail store on black friday unless it is the local hardware store or for groceries. Jim.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Several years ago I would go to lowes or Home Depot later in the afternoon on black friday and pretty much be able to find whatever I was after, but I don’t bother with it anymore.

We have a constant stream of deliveries coming to our door the last few days, and I will say that every single item we have ordered has arrived when it was promised. I don’t remember a time when delivery has been so consistent.

I got a screaming deal on a 3 pack of 32gig memory cards that I use in my digital multitrack machine. Aside from those, I didn’t see any other deals that I just had to have.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’d rather pay full price than be treated like cattle in a feedlot.
    Whoa there!!! You are going to be accused of being soft if you don’t like like lines, crowds, and the lowest echelons of society telling you what to do. So stop hiding in your house being afraid to get out there to get those deals to live the good life!

At least that is what I was told on INGO…

Top Bottom