• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Which is why I stated here in IN, not other states. Bald Eagles up until pretty recently were rare in IN, up in AK they were/are considered a nuisance by many like we consider pigeons.

Yes.
    Yes, I noted that you stated in Indiana but that was part of my point. If everyone and their brother owns a particular model of firearm except for me, it may seem pretty rare if I'm looking for it in my safe even though its actually really common.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    “We were able to collect the carcass, from which we could determine it was in an extreme state of decomposition,” Westrich said.

That statement causes uneasiness in me, cause unless I've misinterpreted; to me it implies the animal had been dead for some time and as heavily traveled as that section of hwy is....
    IIR, I just read somewhere that section of SR15 is currently closed for construction.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There are areas out north of Bristol that are pretty unpopulated and desolate looking. Reminds me of NW WI or North MN. I got turned around coming from Baldwin and thought I was entering Deliverance country.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    “We were able to collect the carcass, from which we could determine it was in an extreme state of decomposition,” Westrich said.

That statement causes uneasiness in me, cause unless I've misinterpreted; to me it implies the animal had been dead for some time and as heavily traveled as that section of hwy is....
    Allow me to join the ranks of speculation; I'm inclined to think it was picked up along another hwy elsewhere and whoever did that deed got cold feet before entering the Toll Rd.
    I was wondering about that myself, it could be a few different things. People saw it and didn't realize just what it was. And from the photos it appears there is blood right near its mouth and within a few feet of it on the road. What you suggest is possible though.
    I understand that's how you would eat it, I just didn't know if people did. Or if it's just a trophy thing. If I killed it, I'd eat it.
    Both.
    Yes, I noted that you stated in Indiana but that was part of my point. If everyone and their brother owns a particular model of firearm except for me, it may seem pretty rare if I'm looking for it in my safe even though its actually really common.
    I understand your point, I'm just saying that they are rare here. Using your firearm analogy, I don't own any suppresors (yet) but they aren't rare in IN. I can go to the next city over and buy one. Now in IL I would say they are rare, even though some may travel through the state. Working fragmentation grenades are pretty rare in IN, even though there may be a few a couple of blocks down the road from me in the NG armory. No idea if there are any or not, just saying there might be.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    IIR, I just read somewhere that section of SR15 is currently closed for construction.
    The bridge near there is closed, it appears the road is open by the entrance to the toll road.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The bridge near there is closed, it appears the road is open by the entrance to the toll road.
    Still a lot of traffic thru there due to the large industrial Park just NE of Bristol. Once they finish the current SR 15 bridge decking over the Little Elkhart River am told the State will then close SR 15 over the Toll RD. Did I mention SR 120 is also closed coming into Bristol from the west?

A number of years ago was fairly certain I saw a Fallow Deer south of Rochester. Found the DNR Biologist responsible for that area and had a long and interesting phone conversation with him inquiring if that was possible. He seemed genuinely interested at the time.

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I recall some discussion last year about a possible black bear sighting around Michigan City but I have no details. They are in lower Michigan so it is inevitable that they will make their way down to northern Indiana. Their populations have been expanding in many states east of the Mississippi over the past several decades.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I recall some discussion last year about a possible black bear sighting around Michigan City but I have no details. They are in lower Michigan so it is inevitable that they will make their way down to northern Indiana. Their populations have been expanding in many states east of the Mississippi over the past several decades.
    Yea, Michigan DNR eventually trapped that one and euthanized it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Still a lot of traffic thru there due to the large industrial Park just NE of Bristol. Once they finish the current SR 15 bridge decking over the Little Elkhart River am told the State will then close SR 15 over the Toll RD. Did I mention SR 120 is also closed coming into Bristol from the west?

A number of years ago was fairly certain I saw a Fallow Deer south of Rochester. Found the DNR Biologist responsible for that area and had a long and interesting phone conversation with him inquiring if that was possible. He seemed genuinely interested at the time.
    My wife found this out the hard way yesterday. 120 was closed and then the Division st bridge and SR 15 bridge was closed. Yeah. She didn't have a good time yesterday.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    if they did report it to the DNR, they probably said it was a dog or house cat.
    Quite possible.
    That would be interesting to see. If it was one I'm guessing it was an escapee. And I wonder if they are genetically similar enough to cross breed with domestic white tails? If so I could certainly see why the biologist would be interested.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Quite possible.

That would be interesting to see. If it was one I'm guessing it was an escapee. And I wonder if they are genetically similar enough to cross breed with domestic white tails? If so I could certainly see why the biologist would be interested.
    The escapee theory was pretty much the biologist's opinion also. IIRC he stated there was a location south of Warsaw that had USDA permit to raise them.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I thought they relocated it back to Michigan?
    Seen around Michigan City 8/2015. euthanized by MDNR 4/2016?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Seen around Michigan City 8/2015. euthanized by MDNR 4/2016?

Thanks. I was thinking it was relocated

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    yes. i had it once, not sure if it was cooked wrong or what but it was probably the worst thing i have ever eaten
    I have always heard that bear must be cleaned carefully. You gotta get ALL the fat off of it.

I've only had burger that had bacon fat added to it. It was great.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've hit deer with my old Nissan steel bumper truck, just kept trucking to work....I got things to do and places to go. No damage at all. I've killed 2 deer with that truck no damage and had a buck run into the side of it once. Its very possible someone hit this bear and also did no damage, all depends on angle and type of bumper and how much of the bear got hit, like hit in hind quarters and spun around not a dead center hit. Wife hit a huge coon at 60 mph and did nearly $3000 damage. Had tow truck bring it home, all tranny fluid had drained. Insurance took care of it, don't think she reported it to Indiana officials or called 911......I would take it from some on here she broke the law....?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Wife hit a huge coon at 60 mph and did nearly $3000 damage. Had tow truck bring it home, all tranny fluid had drained. Insurance took care of it, don't think she reported it to Indiana officials or called 911......I would take it from some on here she broke the law....?
    She may have technically broke the law...

Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-26-2-1

Sec. 1 .  A law enforcement officer shall investigate each motor vehicle accident that results in any of the following:

(1) The injury or death of a person.

(2) Total property damage to an apparent extent of at least one thousand dollars ($1,000).

but as long as your insurance company didn't require an accident report, who cares? :dunno:

Top Bottom